Pantheon Park | PROPOSED

barakat

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still trying to understand the concept.

The news story did not mention a charter school as being a component but does tho sssection not sound as if they are planning a downtown high-school and middle-school?

"

ACADEMIES

We envision a cluster of private STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) high schools and middle schools with an emphasis on providing students with skills to enter the entertainment and technology industries. These will be state-of-the-art schools incorporating the best 21st century learning methods and environments. Our plan includes supporting a cluster of STEAM charter schools for at-risk youth. Special arrangements will be created so the charter schools can have access to specialized spaces in the private schools such as studios, digital labs, and performance stages. Finally, Pantheon Park plans also include a private university that specializes in music, design, and technology degrees as well as teacher preparation programs for 21st century style teaching."

Funny how they Typo STEAM for STEM... when discussing their state of the art schools.

And a private university ????

My first reaction to this is that it doesn't have a chance. Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, or maybe I simply don't understand the concept, but I don't see how they're going to make this thing profitable. The way it's presented seems to be more in line with a government-backed or nonprofit backed venture looking to spur economic development and serve a social function. Charter schools, performance halls, and businesses that occupy incubator space can't pay much in terms of rent.

I am still trying to understand the concept.

The news story did not mention a charter school as being a component but does tho sssection not sound as if they are planning a downtown high-school and middle-school?

"

ACADEMIES

We envision a cluster of private STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) high schools and middle schools with an emphasis on providing students with skills to enter the entertainment and technology industries. These will be state-of-the-art schools incorporating the best 21st century learning methods and environments. Our plan includes supporting a cluster of STEAM charter schools for at-risk youth. Special arrangements will be created so the charter schools can have access to specialized spaces in the private schools such as studios, digital labs, and performance stages. Finally, Pantheon Park plans also include a private university that specializes in music, design, and technology degrees as well as teacher preparation programs for 21st century style teaching."

Funny how they Typo STEAM for STEM... when discussing their state of the art schools.

And a private university ????

That is not a typo.

Here is an example.

http://www.suhsd.k12.ca.us/shcs/SH-Registration.pdf

STEAM combines science, technology, engineering and mathematics or STEM education with art.

After reading the PDF, there is a lot to be offered here. Not just music but TV , Movie, Video Gaming, Production, Entertainment, Education to name a few. An interesting concept to say yhe least. Hope they run with it.and make it work here.

Good catch. Seems to defeat the point of a STEM school..... you might as well as English and Literature and have a normal zoned school. ha

I hope they can pull off the wildly ambition scope of the project.... so far it sounds like a big guitar shaped 30-story tower....

One thing that William pointed out to me is that we may lose another iconic older building which would not be good, since we have already lost so many.

A quote from WW,

"Two stellar buildings will likely be razed (the 1950s masterpiece designed by Edwin Keeble of L&C fame) and the vintage brick and stone building that fronts Demonbreun (which ranks as one of the city's coolest historic small buildings). Those will be HUGE architectural losses."

Maybe something can be worked out to save them.

One thing that William pointed out to me is that we may lose another iconic older building which would not be good, since we have already lost so many.

A quote from WW,

"Two stellar buildings will likely be razed (the 1950s masterpiece designed by Edwin Keeble of L&C fame) and the vintage brick and stone building that fronts Demonbreun (which ranks as one of the city's coolest historic small buildings). Those will be HUGE architectural losses."

Maybe something can be worked out to save them.

That was one of the first things I thought of (since we've had this discussion before about this property).

I, too, think they will probably be razed.

There is some hope, though, since they are consulting Tuck-Hinton on the design, that there may be some consideration there.

The property is certainly big enough where a creative mind (hint hint, that's what they're looking to attract) could incorporate the facade of the building on Demonbreun, and keep the Keeble building.

If you keep the south-facing side of the Keeble building, an inviting entrance could be created facing 8th and the MCC.

Does anyone know the actual boundaries of this property?

Channel 5 is reporting that they want to be open by next Spring. That would be ambitious and would probably mean some kind of adaptive reuse of the property. You cant build anything that fast, especialy on the scale they seem to be needing. May be a phased in project too. Who knows for sure at this point.

I love the idea, but is this really a concrete proposal? I mean, this may be unfair criteria for determing how seriously I should take a development proposal, but if I click on a website and it looks like that, I have a hard time having much faith in it.

Also, the idea of it being a "campus" gives me some pause. I hope they would maintain the existing street grid and work their building into it.

On another slightly related note, I hope that every building that fronts the roundabout has a rounded edge along that side like the convention center does. I think it would provide for a very attractive and potential iconic space for the city.

I hope they pull it off, even if I'm still a bit unsure about the concept.

It reminds me of that thing they're building in NYC, can't think of the name of it. A sort of a meeting place for software...innovation...entrepreneurial...various other currently popular buzzwords...combining to make an impressive if slightly incomprehensible campus. Of course theirs is on an island.

The rooftop event space sounds cool.

If they're talking about starting by spring, they must mean starting doing...whatever it is they're...doing...rather than building anything,unless it's a yurt or something.

Frankly I think calling those structures "historic" stretches the concept. They are handsome, but I won't shed any tears. I've long desired something appropriate to replace the parking lot across from Cummins Station, this seems to fit the bill. And I'd love to see a pedestrian connection from the cannery row area to pine st between Velocity and Pine St flats, and this ups the odds of that.

Have to disagree Neigeville. Those aren't historic in the sense of the capitol/Hermitage Hotele/etc, but they are 2 of MAYBE 5-7 buildings like that around the city. The Cokesbury building ranks up there as one I really like with that true 50's architectural style. My other fave, which will be demo'd, is the Lentz Clinic. If they can rehab/maintain the facade of the building, I will be happy with them building something on top or adjacent to, as I think that building permits itself for that kind of reuse.

I like thea idea overall - like a Medical Trade Center for the IT and entertainment industry, only more successful due to the less-specific fields. I could see LMG Event Technology setting up shop there.

Either I missed it last night, or the article has been updated - it appears there are already tenants on board to inhabit this project...

From the 10aCN:

"The performance hall would be designed for all genres of music, he said. Bruce Robb, who founded the former Cherokeeicon1.png Studios in Los Angeles, plans to open a scoring stage studio including editing and post-production facilities at Pantheon Park. Plans also include offices for intellectual property lawyers and other professionals that support developing tenant companies."

I would think this would be more appropriate out near Music Row, or even somewhere to the southeast closer to I-40 or on the east bank. I really want more density than this is going to offer in this area. Something more residential and retail oriented to provide amenities to go along with the convention center.

Grant Hammond · Top Commenter · CEO, Principal Broker at Metropolitan Brokers

I cannot see any way the numbers add up for this project. I have filed Parthenon Park along side "Strings Nashville" in the ambitious yet unrealistic drawer. I have spoken with Northwestern Mutual and they are holding out for a corporate campus relocation...they aren't even interested in the Target deal at this time.

From the Tennessean's comment section. Dismissed the economics of this project and also throws water on the NWM/Boyle N. Gulch site plans.

Good catch. Seems to defeat the point of a STEM school..... you might as well as English and Literature and have a normal zoned school. ha

I hope they can pull off the wildly ambition scope of the project.... so far it sounds like a big guitar shaped 30-story tower....

It seems to me that Nashville Public Schools already has programs in quite a few of the educational areas that have been mentioned.

Nashville already has a STEM Magnet cluster of schools: Stratford High School in the Inglewood area of East Nashville is a STEM Magnet. Bailey and Litton are the two East Nashville/Inglewood middle schools that feed Stratford and they are also STEM Magnet Schools. A few elementaries in Nashville are STEM schools, including Hattie Cotton Elementary, which is west of Gallatin Road and south of Douglas.

Keep in mind that STEM school students still have to pass entrance exams, so yes, they do have English classes, et al, it's just that at the STEM schools there are enhanced science and math experiences. Even the middle schools have resident Scientists from Vanderbilt who work with the teachers on curriculum and teach the science classes at least one day per week. I do know the principal of Bailey STEM Middle and they do have "STEAM" project learning experiences which integrate the arts and science. For example, they look at architectural design from mathematical angles and look the physics of dance and athletics, stadium design, the technology of communications, etc. Bailey STEM recently had student rocket launches at their campus in my neighborhood and have a robotics program at the middle school level.

One of the other magnet schools in Nashville has an in-house, student-run record label. Then there is also the Nashville School of the Arts.

I'm not throwing water on the educational value proposed in this project, but I just want to point out that Nashville already has STEM and a lot of arts programs covered. I really can't see MNPS opening another set of schools at this location to cover those topics, so these would need to be private schools unless the whole Charter thing comes in to play again.

Yeah, very caustiously optimistic for this project. I like the idea and think it is cool and could work. Would be maybe a new Music Row area. Or it seems to be somewhat like one of the fairgrounds plans with the film studios.

It seems that they might be better off going in somewhere where there are buildings for use already.

i think it is very much real. The property will always be worth the money they wil pay for it for either hotels or future expansion of the MCC. If it were me I would do this in segments. They seem to have all the pieces in place for their studio project so we start there. The rest come as warranted.

Archived