Pantheon Park | PROPOSED

barakat

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do remember (vaguely) visiting the site when you first posted here. But I can't remember any details.

But if the one audience you are trying to inform is the state, I would still suggest that you put the information in the most attractive package possible. You want them to take you seriously (and that's kind of hard, considering it's the state we're talking about).

The Governor, Secretary of State, Lt. Governor, Comptroller, TDOC Commissioner, several other commissioners, the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and two Council members were sent appropriately designed and printed marketing materials via FedEx.

We realize the magnitude of this project and where we have chosen to plant our flag seem to be far-reaching to be polite.  However, please consider the following:

We tried to lease the prison in 2007 for this project (before the schools were in the picture).  We were told TDOC was going to renovate the buildings and move out there.

After several attempts to locate the project within the specific parameters, we contracted to purchase the UMPH property.  We walked away from the UMPH 7+ acres at 8th and KVB to find a larger property that would accommodate the schools.  The education partner we have chosen has placed over 500 schools (K-12) across the country with an average graduation rate of 95%.

Upon exiting their cars in front of the prison, the education partner and the two separate school development groups immediately said this is where we want to be.  Within two weeks, the entertainment and education REIT representative accompanying them sent us an unsolicited Letter of Intent to cover the cost of building the private academies and some of the proposed infrastructure. 

Think what we could do if we had control of the property!

Your success with securing the land may depend on the size of donation to Gov. Haslam's campaign fund.

I like the idea of the prison property...and it is a magnificent building (the admin building) that would serve as a very cool 'face' of Pantheon Park. And if the building is not going to be used, I can't see why they wouldn't do this. But again...we're talking about the state. They work in mysterious and illogical ways.

One definite side benefit is the current upswing of the adjacent Nations neighborhood (as well as Sylvan Park). It could certainly be a big bonus in the future. 

Another side note would be there is a rail line that runs very close to the prison property...then cuts through The Nations and Sylvan Park/Sylvan Heights on the way to Midtown and Downtown. Some time in the (distant) future, this could be utilized as an LRT line and give the campus great access to downtown.

Archived