Pantheon Park | PROPOSED

barakat

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 10 months later...

Good Evening Believers and Skeptics...

We are making our last stand in Nashville! After seven years and many attempts to buy/develop several locations, we have decided to go back to our original location; the old Tennessee State Prison on Centennial Boulevard.  During the Bredesen administration, we tried to negotiate a long-term lease with the State. We were told that TDOC had spent over $250,000 on plans to renovate "some" of the buildings for office space to be used by Corrections.  In 2007, plans were drawn, announcements made through the media but the Legislature said no to funding the project.  When the State announced last year they were spending $800,000 to study what to do with the property, we submitted a plan to purchase the property.  After months of visiting with State officials, we submitted a solicited offer.

As of this writing, the State has decided the highest and best use for the property is to spend $30 million of taxpayer dollars; once again for the Department of Corrections to consolidate their operations.  If you haven't been to our site lately, please go. pantheonpark.com

For those of you who are familiar with our current plans, it comes down to the State spending $30 million for no return to taxpayers (if funded) or our groups spending significantly more than $30 million of private money for the benefit of students, entrepreneurs and the city.  Developing an Entertainment, Education and Technology community with a Museum to acknowledge and honor the location or, shuffling State workers around.  BTW, if they don't get it funded, they will wait for an administration change in so many years and try again.  This has been going on since April, 2000.

The old prison is deteriorating.  Buildings have collapsed, others are too dangerous to enter and all have serious asbestos and lead issues.  We were given access to all of the buildings this past spring and summer.  We took over 300 pictures of the Administration Building, cell blocks, Death House and other structures. The old prison would immediately put Pantheon Park and Nashville on the radar of young, creative talent simply because it has so much history and it is such a cool place. 

Have you run this by any news agencies? Specifically Channel 4 or Channel 5? A nice juicy story about "wasting taxpayer money" usually draws a pretty good reaction...especially in a state where low taxes and low spending are expectations of the government.

In any case...best of luck to Pantheon Park. I hope you all are able to make this work.

I've noticed while looking at Bing and Google maps that the whole western side of the Briley Loop (I-40 to I-65) is very under developed while the terrain doesn't appear to be rough like the I-24 West corridor; I bring this up since I think this is the area of discussion.  After zooming in it appears there are about 5-10 different correctional facilities in around this area; is this correct?  And if so I would guess this is the reason why this area is very under developed, or maybe flooding?  I think a project like this could be the positive to get this area going. 

I've noticed while looking at Bing and Google maps that the whole western side of the Briley Loop (I-40 to I-65) is very under developed while the terrain doesn't appear to be rough like the I-24 West corridor; I bring this up since I think this is the area of discussion.  After zooming in it appears there are about 5-10 different correctional facilities in around this area; is this correct?  And if so I would guess this is the reason why this area is very under developed, or maybe flooding?  I think a project like this could be the positive to get this area going. 

There really is no need to initiate heavy development on the outskirts of town like that.  Much of the land you speak of is woodland and farm land, and destruction of natural resources on the outskirt of town to expand urban sprawl is what got is in the mess we're in today.  There is plenty of space to build in the already developed portions of the city without destroying wild areas in the northwestern portion of the county.

That being said, utilizing the old state prison as an academic campus isn't a bad use of the land.

There really is no need to initiate heavy development on the outskirts of town like that.  Much of the land you speak of is woodland and farm land, and destruction of natural resources on the outskirt of town to expand urban sprawl is what got is in the mess we're in today.  There is plenty of space to build in the already developed portions of the city without destroying wild areas in the northwestern portion of the county.

That being said, utilizing the old state prison as an academic campus isn't a bad use of the land.

What?  We're talking about land in Davidson County and not one of the surrounding counties.  Davidson County is not a large county land area wise, and a quarter of the counties land is undevelopable, so you would think that Nashville at it's size would develop whatever land is developable especially being within 8 to 10 miles from the cities center.  Not everyone wants to do condo living and no yard.

What?  We're talking about land in Davidson County and not one of the surrounding counties.  Davidson County is not a large county land area wise, and a quarter of the counties land is undevelopable, so you would think that Nashville at it's size would develop whatever land is developable especially being within 8 to 10 miles from the cities center.  Not everyone wants to do condo living and no yard.

I have always wondered, myself, why areas like Bordeaux weren't more built up.  I agree with you that Nashville has vast quantities of undeveloped and underdeveloped land that exist in areas that are already partially built up.  Something should be done to encourage more development up there because it really is kind of an afterthought, it seems...kind of the forgotten corner of Nashville. 

I think what Nathan had in mind was all of the vast, honest-to-goodness wilderness that exists in north and northwest Davidson County, which I agree, is an absolute treasure and should never see development. 

On another note, I don't quite understand what you mean in your last sentence.  This is Nashville we're talking about.  Not Hong Kong.  Single family homes with yards make up the VAST, VAST majority of Nashville's housing stock, and much of the new development happening in the central city.  Surely you don't believe that living close to the center of town and living in a house with a yard are mutually exclusive things?   

Have you spent much time in Nashville? There are massive sections of the county within 2 to 4 miles of the CBD that still have room for single-family-dwelling housing stock, and existing stock that's already available.

If you use Old Hickory Blvd./Bell Road and Briley Parkway as an imaginary boundary, there is plenty of space to be developed still without spreading to the north and northwest of Briley Parkway.  Are you just speaking about the land near the Tune Airport and the old State Prison, or more generally in the entire northwest corner of the county? If it's the former, then yeah, it could be developed more, I suppose, although it's mostly just industrial warehousing right now. If it's the latter, then I simply think that any heavy use of the land bracketed by I-24, Briley and the Cumberland is simply foolhardy and a terrible waste.

Have you spent much time in Nashville? There are massive sections of the county within 2 to 4 miles of the CBD that still have room for single-family-dwelling housing stock, and existing stock that's already available.

If you use Old Hickory Blvd./Bell Road and Briley Parkway as an imaginary boundary, there is plenty of space to be developed still without spreading to the north and northwest of Briley Parkway.  Are you just speaking about the land near the Tune Airport and the old State Prison, or more generally in the entire northwest corner of the county? If it's the former, then yeah, it could be developed more, I suppose, although it's mostly just industrial warehousing right now. If it's the latter, then I simply think that any heavy use of the land bracketed by I-24, Briley and the Cumberland is simply foolhardy and a terrible waste.

I think he was initially talking about the Centennial/Briley area.

Have you run this by any news agencies? Specifically Channel 4 or Channel 5? A nice juicy story about "wasting taxpayer money" usually draws a pretty good reaction...especially in a state where low taxes and low spending are expectations of the government.

In any case...best of luck to Pantheon Park. I hope you all are able to make this work.

Except I am not seeing where taxpayer money is being wasted. They are consolidating facilities. Just because they are choosing a use other than what Pantheon wants does not mean money/facilities are being wasted.

I think he was initially talking about the Centennial/Briley area.

Yes; this is the area I'm talking about.  Near John C. Tune Airport, Bells Bend, Bordeaux and the Haynes area.

I used to daily when I worked at an Engineering firm behind 100 Oak (I'm not going to name names).  Also growing up in Lawrenceburg Nashville is where you went to eat/shop and from what I here it's now where you go to work.  Not in Nashville as much these days.  I must admit though that the area of town I'm talking about I have not been there much if ever.  As for sprawl; I don't consider it sprawl until it leaves the county especially with a consolidated Metropolitan Government.  If the area were to be developed it wouldn't be Franklin's, Smyrna's or Murfreesboro's not even Berryhill's, Belle Meade or Goodlettsville's but Nashville's development and Nashville's to count per census and property taxes.  The I-24 corridor (where you think I'm referring to) I don't think the terrain would allow for much development.

Except I am not seeing where taxpayer money is being wasted. They are consolidating facilities. Just because they are choosing a use other than what Pantheon wants does not mean money/facilities are being wasted.

The property is worth a little more than $5 million according to a recent appraisal of the land and buildings.  To spend more than 20% of a property's value to determine highest and best use is unwise.  To arrive at the same conclusion every time the idea is studied is a waste of time, energy and tax payer dollars.

That money has been spent. If you want to say the money spent to higher a consultant was too much, I might agree with you. But what's done is done, that money cannot be unspent, and they determined the highest use was for the government to maintain the property and consolidate facilities. Also, it's not like the hiring of this consultant was done in the dark, you can google articles about it right now!

As an aside:

Pantheon, you need to make a compelling case for your center/park, IMO. As an observer and a finance nerd I wonder where your investment will come from. The money you talk about is quite substantial. You of course do not have to share these details but I am curious.

Yes; this is the area I'm talking about.  Near John C. Tune Airport, Bells Bend, Bordeaux and the Haynes area.

Gotcha. Makes much more sense now!

As an aside:

Pantheon, you need to make a compelling case for your center/park, IMO. As an observer and a finance nerd I wonder where your investment will come from. The money you talk about is quite substantial. You of course do not have to share these details but I am curious.

This. I am not against this project by any means, but doing it just for the sake of doing it is asking for problems.  I've yet to see a demand or need for this laid out, or even an expounded "if you build it, they will come" argument.  Like I said, not against the project, but I also would like to see the case made for it.

Gotcha. Makes much more sense now!

This. I am not against this project by any means, but doing it just for the sake of doing it is asking for problems.  I've yet to see a demand or need for this laid out, or even an expounded "if you build it, they will come" argument.  Like I said, not against the project, but I also would like to see the case made for it.

Please take a few minutes to read what has been posted on our website.  It lays out a very detailed case for the project we are proposing.  The needs for our proposed infrastructure and our schools are well described.

While there has been continued, significant interest from a variety of funding sources, any efforts to secure funding for the development would be premature since we do not control the property.  The majority of interested investors have stated their interest is based on our securing the prison site for a variety of reasons.  

Please take a few minutes to read what has been posted on our website.  It lays out a very detailed case for the project we are proposing.  The needs for our proposed infrastructure and our schools are well described.

While there has been continued, significant interest from a variety of funding sources, any efforts to secure funding for the development would be premature since we do not control the property.  The majority of interested investors have stated their interest is based on our securing the prison site for a variety of reasons.  

I don't want to dismiss anything you say as 'vague', because I think what you are proposing would be a great asset to the city, but I can understand some of the questions here because I think the type of development proposed likely has a less obvious ROI (strictly from a business perspective) compared to other developments within the city. That's certainly not to say that what you propose isn't valuable...it's just that without the investors being known, the prospects of this type of project coming to fruition seem to be out there. Needs are one thing. Tangible investors is another.

I don't mean to sound overly critical, but from my perspective, your site's PDF could use some work. The information is fairly well laid out...but I think the design itself is a bit lacking. There are ambitious goals laid out, but the appearance of the PDF is anything but ambitious. I don't want to devalue what you have done, but I could have designed that PDF. It looks a little like an entry-level powerpoint presentation. If I were a serious investor, I would look for something that is more professionally designed...something with a few more bells and whistles. Something that looks like the brains behind the project really want it to happen. Not that they don't -- it's just that it doesn't...sell. 

I could be wrong, but I would think a serious technology investor would dismiss your proposal based on appearance alone. If anyone dismisses it, it should be based on careful market research, not appearance.

Please take my criticism as something to help improve -- to help enhance the odds of making this happen....because I would certainly like to see it. You have to make people think that this is something that IS going to happen, and that ignoring your proposal would be a SERIOUS misstep. Not "oh, that's a cute idea". You probably know as good as anyone that this type of proposal could be very successful. It's all in how you pitch it.

I don't want to dismiss anything you say as 'vague', because I think what you are proposing would be a great asset to the city, but I can understand some of the questions here because I think the type of development proposed likely has a less obvious ROI (strictly from a business perspective) compared to other developments within the city. That's certainly not to say that what you propose isn't valuable...it's just that without the investors being known, the prospects of this type of project coming to fruition seem to be out there. Needs are one thing. Tangible investors is another.

I don't mean to sound overly critical, but from my perspective, your site's PDF could use some work. The information is fairly well laid out...but I think the design itself is a bit lacking. There are ambitious goals laid out, but the appearance of the PDF is anything but ambitious. I don't want to devalue what you have done, but I could have designed that PDF. It looks a little like an entry-level powerpoint presentation. If I were a serious investor, I would look for something that is more professionally designed...something with a few more bells and whistles. Something that looks like the brains behind the project really want it to happen. Not that they don't -- it's just that it doesn't...sell. 

I could be wrong, but I would think a serious technology investor would dismiss your proposal based on appearance alone. If anyone dismisses it, it should be based on careful market research, not appearance.

Please take my criticism as something to help improve -- to help enhance the odds of making this happen....because I would certainly like to see it. You have to make people think that this is something that IS going to happen, and that ignoring your proposal would be a SERIOUS misstep. Not "oh, that's a cute idea". You probably know as good as anyone that this type of proposal could be very successful. It's all in how you pitch it.

Burg, I appreciate your comments and couldn't agree more.  Had you visited the site before the State had agreed to sell us the land and then changed their mind, it was professional, articulate and set up for investors and the public.  Unfortunately, that site is not applicable at this time in that we are simply trying to inform one audience...the State. 

When we do start talking to the funding people, you can be assured the website will be worthy of the project.  The PDF, while crude and simple, has been effective. 

Burg, I appreciate your comments and couldn't agree more.  Had you visited the site before the State had agreed to sell us the land and then changed their mind, it was professional, articulate and set up for investors and the public.  Unfortunately, that site is not applicable at this time in that we are simply trying to inform one audience...the State. 

When we do start talking to the funding people, you can be assured the website will be worthy of the project.  The PDF, while crude and simple, has been effective. 

I do remember (vaguely) visiting the site when you first posted here. But I can't remember any details.

But if the one audience you are trying to inform is the state, I would still suggest that you put the information in the most attractive package possible. You want them to take you seriously (and that's kind of hard, considering it's the state we're talking about).

Just curious, isn't the old state prison site on the National Register of Historic Sites?   If so, how does that restrict (if any) your plans for the property?

Here's some stuff I found Googling.  Not sure if it's been posted yet.

http://tennesseestateprison.blogspot.com/2013/10/pantheon-park-information.html

From the blog,

Without going into great detail, I can tell you that I have been in contact with people behind Pantheon Park, and I have been given permission to release this brochure to you.

Click Here

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tDKRdQE3c0NfQwrKVYZ7kZ_6YtRwQtGsCU8pe8CkV7Q/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tDKRdQE3c0NfQwrKVYZ7kZ_6YtRwQtGsCU8pe8CkV7Q/edit

Here is Save the Prison's facebook page too, which has links and information if interested.

https://www.facebook.com/SaveThePrison

Just curious, isn't the old state prison site on the National Register of Historic Sites?   If so, how does that restrict (if any) your plans for the property?

Unfortunately, it is not.  Had it been on the register, the State would have had to maintain it to certain standards. They haven't maintained it at all.

Archived