Tanger Outlets coming to Charlotte

cityboi

tanger+outlets.jpg

A 90-store lifestyle outlet shopping center will open in Charlotte in 2014. The lifestyle center will be smaller than Concord Mills. This will be the fourth Tanger Outlets in North Carolina. Greensboro based Tanger Outlets has outlet centers in 25 states and Canada. The three other locations in North Carolina are Tanger Outlets Blowing Rock, Tanger Outlets Nags Head and Tanger Outlets Mebane which serves the Triad and the Triangle. Tanger Outlets Charlotte will have stores such as Banana Republic, Jones, New York, OshKosh B'Gosh, Tommy Hilfiger, Brooks Brothers, NIKE store, QVC Store, Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5th, Lane Bryant, Gap and some other upscale outlet retail stores. It will be 350,000 square feet and will be located at the interchange if I-485 and Steele Creek Road. There are also plans for a 50,000 sq ft expansion.

http://www.vcstar.co...e-center-in-02/

http://www.foxcharlo...-174682561.html

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't it be great if an authentic urban mall with these kind of stores (outlet or retail) is built uptown? Uptown is a big enough destination for an urban mall not to mention there is a large uptown residential population.

Just not enough precedent to justify this, and there really is not a large uptown population, only 5-6k people. Where as SouthPark area (28211) has more than 30k of middle-upper class people. I think it would be successful but nobody will take that risk in this economy, and especially not at the price of uptown real estate.

Wouldn't it be great if an authentic urban mall with these kind of stores (outlet or retail) is built uptown? Uptown is a big enough destination for an urban mall not to mention there is a large uptown residential population.

I'd settle for a few stores from Apple, Crate and Barrell, a few men and women boutiques, etc.

BTW - Does anyone know at 350K sqf how this planned outlet matches up to other Tangers outlets - just curious.

Who wants to go ahead and write the DeadMalls.com entry for this shopping center?

Being a #2 mall in a market--and a distant #2 at that--is generally not a good idea. Concord Mills is THE discount mall in the area, and any competitor in its class needs to be large, as mall size is key.

Who wants to go ahead and write the DeadMalls.com entry for this shopping center?

Being a #2 mall in a market--and a distant #2 at that--is generally not a good idea. Concord Mills is THE discount mall in the area, and any competitor in its class needs to be large, as mall size is key.

What's your day job? Full time comments poster on the Observer? Keee-rist - let the thing be built and open before the doomsayers start harking about it as a dead weight...

P.S. Concord Mills and Steel Creek are worlds away from each other - both as geographic opposites of the county and people they draw.

What's your day job? Full time comments poster on the Observer? Keee-rist - let the thing be built and open before the doomsayers start harking about it as a dead weight...

P.S. Concord Mills and Steel Creek are worlds away from each other - both as geographic opposites of the county and people they draw.

I don't think he's being negative. Carolina Place isn't too far away. This is great news, however, thats what makes it sort of a let down for me. I just wish something like this was closer to the Core, along/near the blue line to create an urban feel.

My day job? For years, commercial real estate (on the legal side, working for investors).

I agree with the other post that the center would do better if it were closer to uptown; being a second distant-suburban outlet mall is not the best location. Another outlet center near Carowinds, which failed, is nearby, indicating the area's support for such centers, given Concord Mills' dominance.

The great thing about this outlet is that there will be stores that are not already in the Charlotte area. The area has Concord Mills but it's technically in Concord. Charlotte needs its own outlet stores closer to the city population. While it may not be the best example of urban development I think this gives Charlotte residents more retail choices and at least it won't look like a big box shopping center or a traditional mall. I think Tanger should do something a little different with Charlotte's outlet center like adding apartments or condos over the stores.

I would have much preferred Premium Outlets closer to Charlotte, with a Tumi outlet, Diesel outlet, and a few other high-end designer outlets...Prada, D&G, Tory Burch, Gucci, etc. As it stands with Tanger Outlets, I think we're going to get a duplicate of the stores that Concord Mills already has, just on the other side of town. I have a bad feeling it's going to be another Banana Republic factory store, Gap outlet, Levi's, Hanes Brands, Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, Chico's, etc.

Speaking of Premium Outlets, looks like they are going to be opening in Charlotte around the same time Tanger Outlets opens so there will be some competition

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/prnewswire/press_releases/North_Carolina/2012/10/18/DE95920

Oh wow! Unbelievable.....two outlet malls opening at the same time? Seriously?

Anyone else get the feeling that this is the nail in the coffin for a sizeable amount of uptown retail? IMO, Charlotte is already over-saturated with shopping. 3 malls, 3 outlet centers (including Concord Mills), numerous "lifestyle" centers, and indistinguishable number of strip malls just seems way too much for a city of 2 million CSA.

I mean you could make the point that NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, etc all have numerous malls as a result of their size, and they are still attracting mall development. But I just feel like this has killed the possibility of significant uptown retail, i.e. Gap, Banana Republic, Apple, Williams Sonoma, etc.

Speaking of Premium Outlets, looks like they are going to be opening in Charlotte around the same time Tanger Outlets opens so there will be some competition

http://www.bizjourna...2/10/18/DE95920

Wow, ask and I shall receive. Too bad according to the O that the stores that are likely to go in there are the same bland ones that will probably go in Tanger.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/10/19/3607652/simon-property-opening-charlotte.html

I want a Tumi outlet! I need a way to appease my travel accessory addiction for less $$$. I go out of my way to visit a Tumi outlet when on business trips if there's one nearby.

Outlets are destination shopping and really won't have any impact of the future of uptown retail and since they're destination and have a regional draw, it's also the reason they're laced around the perimeter of the interstate (not to mention land cost and constraints). I'm all for urban retail, and would love to see something like Gateway Mall and City Creek Center in downtown Salt Lake City happen in Charlotte, but it's just not realistic. Ideally, I would have loved to have seen the Lennar piece on Morehead get taken back by the lender, sold at a steep enough discount to a retail developer, and turned into a large scale mixed use center with a focus on retail. Outside of a scenario like that, I don't see it happening in my generation.

Outlets are destination shopping and really won't have any impact of the future of uptown retail and since they're destination and have a regional draw, it's also the reason they're laced around the perimeter of the interstate (not to mention land cost and constraints). I'm all for urban retail, and would love to see something like Gateway Mall and City Creek Center in downtown Salt Lake City happen in Charlotte, but it's just not realistic. Ideally, I would have loved to have seen the Lennar piece on Morehead get taken back by the lender, sold at a steep enough discount to a retail developer, and turned into a large scale mixed use center with a focus on retail. Outside of a scenario like that, I don't see it happening in my generation.

I'm hoping Gateway Station will have some significant retail. We'll have to see when the proposals come by the end of this year. Crazy these 2 projects were announced within 3 days of eachother, publicly. Or was it back to back?

Being that all the land adjacent to the rail owned by DOT is a part of the RFP currently between Hines and Crescent, that would be an ideal area to build a large scale linear open air retail project that would also act as a great connector between the core and gateway area.

Good grief. This clearly means no Bridges at Mint Hill happening in the near future.

2 mid-size outlet malls plus Concord Mills? Not all of them will make it. Concord Mills will survive, because it's the largest and most established. If only it didn't take an eternity to get there during rush hour.

Good grief. This clearly means no Bridges at Mint Hill happening in the near future.

2 mid-size outlet malls plus Concord Mills? Not all of them will make it. Concord Mills will survive, because it's the largest and most established. If only it didn't take an eternity to get there during rush hour.

Again - I don't see the Southern locations having any impact on Concord. I really don't understand your rationale for this constant doomsayer of it.

Most people I know in The southern area of Charlotte do not go to Concord Mills. Let me repeat that in another way - Concord Mills is not a place the people in this area of the County plan their shopping around.

And most people I know in the Concord and the northern part of Charlotte do not regularly travel to the SC border of the state, nor will be making their way to Tangers and the other outlet as part of the regular shopping.

I do think Concord Mills will suffer a little in the beginning due to the novelty of both outlets and everyone wanting to check them out - but not only can Charlotte - but these opposite ends of the county high population areas can support these proposals.

The one thing I do agree with you though is the Bridges at Mint Hill seems unlikely. That project has never really seemed to have gotten necessary momentum since announced and this might be the nail in its coffin.

Archived