Tanger Outlets coming to Charlotte

cityboi

• 1 month later...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Having a thread about a "Premium Outlet Store" plugged out in the 'burbs on a site called Urban Planet is the sweetest sort of comical irony.

I don't really have anything else to add to this, just thought I'd mention it.

That's why there is a Coffee House...

And even closer to 77, giving the location stronger purchasing power than Concord. Luckily, the new 485 will improve Lake Norman area access. Concord will need that desperately to keep up with Charlotte Premium's (Tanger / Simon) access to South Charlotte and South Carolina. If anything, East Ridgr (already suffering) and Carolina Place (tipping point) are threatened as a future dead malls.

Eastridge already seems to be a goner, but for its anchor retention so far.  I'd assume that the Dillard's will be downgraded to a clearance center at some point, and having Sears and JCPenney as 2 of the other 3 anchors is a little disconcerting.  I always wondered why that mall doesn't do well; it's in a good location and if it's survived for 30 years, why is it now going under?

By I-85 access, I mean that the outlets in Gaffney are right on the highway, and so I wouldn't expect that the new Charlotte center would get much business from the people who live along I-85 and who will be just as close to Gaffney as Charlotte.  I'd guess that only southwest Charlotte and west Lake Norman would have people who would shop at the new Charlotte center.  Otherwise, for southeast, central and northeast Charlotte, why not just drive to Concord to the bigger mall if the distance is the same?

The western stretch of 485 really should be the preferred route for anyone travelling through Charlotte on I-77.  It is 3 miles longer, so the average GPS probably sticks to I-77, but the speed limit is higher, traffic is MUCH lighter, and it is overall a much more pleasant drive.  If NCDOT ever got around to advertising it as a bypass route, I'm guessing that mall would as visible/accessible to Ohio-Florida traffic as Gaffney is to Charlotte-Atlanta drivers.   

• 3 months later...

I'm not trying to incite any rage or anything; but why are we excited about this premium outlet mall exactly? Besides the fairly negligible amount of full time jobs? Not trying to be mean, just honestly curious.

I am excited because it gives people more places to spend money they don't have. Yay. My dad said it best:

"You don't need money. All you need is a credit card and a place to sign the dotted line."

I always find the effects of a new shopping center on existing shopping centers to be interesting, but I can't say that I'm excited about the Charlotte outlets, which are a dime a dozen.

I'm guessing that the Gaffney outlets will be affected more than Concord Mills, but I could be wrong.  Maybe the Charlotte Outlets will fail.

I always find the effects of a new shopping center on existing shopping centers to be interesting, but I can't say that I'm excited about the Charlotte outlets, which are a dime a dozen.

I'm guessing that the Gaffney outlets will be affected more than Concord Mills, but I could be wrong.  Maybe the Charlotte Outlets will fail.

In my younger years, I can recall riding with my mom down to Gaffney from Charlotte solely to go to the outlets.  As such, I agree with your assessment.  I also like your statement regarding the effect that a new mall can have on an existing one.  It really is an interesting dynamic.  Watching Eastland die was interesting (and I suppose saddening).  

I'm not trying to incite any rage or anything; but why are we excited about this premium outlet mall exactly?  Besides the fairly negligible amount of full time jobs?  Not trying to be mean, just honestly curious.

Personally I'm not all that excited about it though I do like what it signifies per se - and that is just the growing shopping offerings with Charlotte that also adds to our tax receipts.

The less people have to drive to other locations for anything outside of just wanting to for a day trip - the better the city is in a manner.  Just my 2 cents.

Will the outlets in Gaffney go under? 

I don't think so. Charlotteans are not the only folks going there. There are plenty of people coming North, South, and West of the yellow mall, as they call it in Gaffney, to supply the stores with business. But the folks between Gaffney and Rock Hill are the deciding factor. It will be either loyalty or just the draw or the new. Being honest I am figuring this is going to be the audience that the center is going to be drawing from. Not to say Charlotte and its suburbs won't be.    

Something like 2/3 of the outlet stores going in this place are already at Concord Mills. I honestly don't see the point of this place. None of the stores are "Premium." I've been to other Premium Outlets before, and usually there are stores like D&G, Armani, Burberry, Diesel, Ferragamo, Tumi, and maybe a NM Last Call to name a few. These stores are just middle of the road crap that Charlotte already has for the most part.

Archived