New Hotel on Broadway (Swerdling and Assoc.) | Old Westin Site | PROPOSED

smeagolsfree

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do realize this was in bits and Pieces, but we might want to start a thread on this one. I have heard this site may be brought up again and not a surprise.

http://www.bizjourna...dway-hotel.html

Here is the website for the company Swerdling and Assoc.

http://www.swerdling.com/

Thanks for including the link to the company's website. They seem to have a lot of experience with convention center headquarters hotels. Personally, I'm hoping that they stay away from the Baltimore design - that's even more boxy than the Omni! Come to think of it, their Hilton property designs all look even more boxy than our own downtown Hilton. But some of their designs are better. I'll be interested to see what they come up with.

If I remember correctly, the old Westin proposal included live music/retail space on Broadway even in the new spaces that would fill in where there are presently surface lots. I do hope that they retain that aspect in this proposal. Will this be the end of Joe's Crab Shack on 2nd?

It seems to me that with the historical overlay and the setback requirements, that anything here would have to be quite vertical... and at about 20-25 rooms per floor, it would be about 15-20 stories.... I would imagine similar to the original proposal. (IDK), But it seems that they may simply just copy as much of the original plans in order not to rock the boat, so to speak... Just my thoughts.

Going off of the conceptual drawing, I count 17 floors (or thereabouts), plus a little top piece.

I would expect them to refine the rendering if plans become more solid...but I think a modest 180-200 ft building set back a half block from Broadway would do just fine. I can't see the city having any problems with the height in particular, especially when the 400+ foot Pinnacle sits a half block behind that, and the 600+ foot Batman Building sits a half block or so the other direction.

Hopefully the facade facing Broadway won't be too bland...but just about anything would be an improvement over Trail West. :sick:

Which block is this proposed for exactly? There are a couple along there that have sizable parking lots. Then there is one block that is one of the few in all of Nashville that is completely full. Hopefully it's not being built on that block.

Directly across the Shelby Street Bridge from the Pinnacle between 2nd and 3rd Avenues South. Goodbye Joe's Crab Shack.

Directly across the Shelby Street Bridge from the Pinnacle between 2nd and 3rd Avenues South. Goodbye Joe's Crab Shack.

Are you sure? Based on the original rendering, it seemed that this would only take up the buildings & the back lot that currently front Broadway. There is a surface lot on the east end (left side of the rendering) of the block, which is directly in front of Joe's.

I could be mistaken...but I would think Joe's would not factor in to this...or at least (from the hotel's perspective) I would want to incorporate that into the plans.

Are you sure? Based on the original rendering, it seemed that this would only take up the buildings & the back lot that currently front Broadway. There is a surface lot on the east end (left side of the rendering) of the block, which is directly in front of Joe's.

I could be mistaken...but I would think Joe's would not factor in to this...or at least (from the hotel's perspective) I would want to incorporate that into the plans.

Is it the surface lot that is directly across from the symphony center?

Is it the surface lot that is directly across from the symphony center?

I wasn't sure about this either until NashRugger kindly cleared it up for me. It's the lot that is right next to Joe's Crab Shack and runs along 2nd Ave all the way to Broadway

Never mind my last question above. I looked on Google maps and noticed the surface lot that fronts 2nd and Broadway. I forgot that was there.

Same here.

I wonder if there is any chance in the foreseeable future that something is put where the Hard Rock parking lot that fronts 2nd Ave is? It's tiny, but I truly hate that one. I guess it's not likely, since it's probably owned by Hard Rock itself.

Same here.

I wonder if there is any chance in the foreseeable future that something is put where the Hard Rock parking lot that fronts 2nd Ave is? It's tiny, but I truly hate that one. I guess it's not likely, since it's probably owned by Hard Rock itself.

I agree. It would be nice to see something go in the surface lot that I was originally thinking about across from the symphony center on 3rd.

Speaking of lots, are there any plans for the lot at 4th and Demonbreun across from the CMHOF? That seems like a prime spot for something.

Giarratan controls that property at the corner of 4th and Demonbreun, and he made some statement about a year ago that he wanted to build a (Westin??) hotel there. But nothing has been heard since then. I am guessing that his chances are diminishing now that Swerdling is in the game with his block on Broadway. That was originally slated for a Westin.

I am all about new buildings going up to replace many of the surface lots, but I was thinking that if Tony didn't build a hotel on the lot on 4th and Demonbreun that maybe another underground parking garage could be built with a nice public park on top. It would compliment the park across the street and provide more outdoor event space during the CMA music festival and other events. I nice fountain or sculpture garden would be nice and maybe one of the bike share stations. What do you guys think?

It could be Encore's "front yard" so to speak :thumbsup:

Archived