New Hotel on Broadway (Swerdling and Assoc.) | Old Westin Site | PROPOSED

smeagolsfree

I bet the folks at Encore would like that, as it would preserve their views to the west... and the extra parking is always great.

As far as visually, I'm not sure of a park at a corner where there is another one diagonally across the street.... hmmm, maybe, but it would need lots and lots of trees to set something of a boundary from the street... maybe a low, stone wall and a visitors kiosk too. I would be surprised if that's what happens to the property though because Giarratana and partners paid a handsome sum for the lot. I forget what it was, but it was rather eye-popping.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can dig that idea, Bruce. We are getting hyped up about the built environment but not much by way of introducing green space into the fabric. I'd like to see patches of green downtown, between this park idea for the parking lot and the campus at 8th/Diemonbreun, there's a chance for us to get that kind of space integrated into downtown like no other city has done... except Savannah.

Would love for Tony/Premier's lot across from the Schermerhorn be something higher-use than a parking lot. I've always thought that its view through to Broad could make for something cool.

So pleased to hear there's movement on this front! I always hated that we fought over this building so long that we ended up with nothing

Is this the lot you guys are talking about (green space, not the hotel) on the right? If so, I would love to see an urban park there. That alley way would make a great approach to the Symphony Center.

That lot is one of the spots being discussed right now. Lots of urban-fabric-contemplating folks have shared the common vision of something nice and open for that spot, with the approach from Broadway leading to a park or something on the way to the Schermerhorn. Something that would preserve those views from Broadway but be better than a parking lot.

An underground parking lot would definitely be used - and might pay for what would amount to a private park above.

Since the Schermerhorn is so European-inspired, maybe that park could be a European-syle beer garden? That's just a silly idea, but what the heck.

Personally, I suspect that whomever owns that lot is waiting until the right time and will put a fairly high-end development there.

I just see a park downtown turning into a headquarters for the homeless. It seems like every spot that has multiple benches and open areas is taken over by them.

So we shouldn't have green space in our urban core because homeless people might hang out there once in awhile? Is that really what you're saying??

We can't deny everybody parks, benches, etc. because homeless people use them too. You can't freak out about homeless people, homelessness is just one of the problems every city has to manage.

The homeless and the near homeless need walkable development more than anyone else because they typically have to walk everywhere. Look at Church Street. (Right now they really congregate at the library downtown, which is probably the only place they can get internet access, and the park across the street.) We need more Church Streets, not less. It's ironic that it is the well-off who have the most access nowadays to walkable neighborhoods.

So we shouldn't have green space in our urban core because homeless people might hang out there once in awhile? Is that really what you're saying??

I simple stated that they would be the only one to use it with it being so small and it would deter many people from being able to benefit from it. Like stated above me, the only real green area around downtown is Church Street Park. That would be a great area for people to sit and relax at but I highly doubt many people use it (including members on here) because of all the homeless people that hang out there. To me it would almost need to be a full block for it to really show a benefit to the city. I would love if they built the baseball stadium by the river and maybe turned a few of the lots off of 1st into parks.

you couldn't be more wrong on your assesment of Church Street Park. There has been a push by downtown residents (myself included) to bring more events to the park and create more uses for locals. There are monthly songwriter in the park events that coincide with the First Saturday Art Crawl. Every Thursday is Food Truck Thursday in the park with the Downtown Partnership setting up tables and chairs for those who live and work in the area to come and enjoy the space at lunchtime. The Central Precinct has beefed up its presence there to ensure there are no issues and there have been few in the past year or so. And the list goes on. I also live across directly across the river from the new Cumberland Park and ther is virtually no homeless presence there. Church Street Park gets a bad rap because it is across the Street from the Library, the one public facility that the homeless can use for a variety of things. Not saying it is all pretty, just a fact of life. If attitudes changed then maybe we could get more results in dealing with this issue than just turning away from it.

now back to your normal viewing...:)

i live close to the park and the homeless people that hang out there are just fine. i walk past the park at least four times a week and i've only been spoken to by a homeless person once (an aggressive sales pitch for the contributor, no less. hah!), they're just there to chill and hang out. yesterday afternoon some friends and i walked over to the farmer's market and there was a man sitting on a bench that commented on their super cute baby.

there is almost always at least one police car on capitol boulevard with a couple officers posted up, the area is just fine. it's not a subdivision park, and it's super tame for a park in the city. i hope there can be one soon for all the new residents in sobro, too. it's a great space.

eric b

That lot is one of the spots being discussed right now. Lots of urban-fabric-contemplating folks have shared the common vision of something nice and open for that spot, with the approach from Broadway leading to a park or something on the way to the Schermerhorn. Something that would preserve those views from Broadway but be better than a parking lot.

An underground parking lot would definitely be used - and might pay for what would amount to a private park above.

Since the Schermerhorn is so European-inspired, maybe that park could be a European-syle beer garden? That's just a silly idea, but what the heck.

Personally, I suspect that whomever owns that lot is waiting until the right time and will put a fairly high-end development there.

Going along the beer garden idea... I love the concept of turning it into a plaza that's at least partially paved with stone and lining one or two sides with cafes which serve tables in the plaza. The city deserves something to complement the Schermerhorn other than an ugly surface parking lot.

Boston has done a pretty good job with their Post Office Square Park. It has a large parking garage below the park, with a pleasant park space in between.

Going along the beer garden idea... I love the concept of turning it into a plaza that's at least partially paved with stone and lining one or two sides with cafes which serve tables in the plaza. The city deserves something to complement the Schermerhorn other than an ugly surface parking lot.

Boston has done a pretty good job with their Post Office Square Park. It has a large parking garage below the park, with a pleasant park space in between.

It would be great to see something like that downtown. One of the things I miss about living in Germany and Italy are the plazas where they would have a market on the weekends that sold everything from clothing, food, produce, and flowers. I know the Farmers Market offers a lot of the items I just mentioned but I still think it would be cool to have some sort of market/bizarre downtown. Heck If I am not mistaken, doesn't Clarksville have a successful weekend market in their downtown?

It would be great to see something like that downtown. One of the things I miss about living in Germany and Italy are the plazas where they would have a market on the weekends that sold everything from clothing, food, produce, and flowers. I know the Farmers Market offers a lot of the items I just mentioned but I still think it would be cool to have some sort of market/bizarre downtown. Heck If I am not mistaken, doesn't Clarksville have a successful weekend market in their downtown?

The plazas in Germany were where I was drawing my inspiration from. I have very fond memories of simply sitting down at a table with an umbrella, ordering a beer and a small bite from the waiter, and reading a book or newspaper or chatting with whoever happened to sit at the table with me in various towns and cities when I was studying in Germany. I would love to do that in Nashville.

I think as of right now the only thing I see as being an issue is getting TIF issued. Other than that... the majority of the variances required from before should hold true today.

Ok cool. Thanks! That's what I was hoping. Good to hear.

Yes, one of the recent articles stated that Swerdling is talking about a hotel that is considerably smaller than the building proposed by Sage, for which the overlay allowed. From 170 miles away and not having read the details of the historic overlay, I would think that there won't be a problem if Swerdling proposes a hotel with a smaller footprint.

Now wait a moment... I know the question has been asked before, but I don't recall the answer. What will happen to Joe's? Isn't that in the rear of this block? As I look at the photo, I imagine a building rising where Richards and Richards is located in photo. Am I correct?

Now wait a moment... I know the question has been asked before, but I don't recall the answer. What will happen to Joe's? Isn't that in the rear of this block? As I look at the photo, I imagine a building rising where Richards and Richards is located in photo. Am I correct?

Doesn't affect Joe's. Doesn't go ALL the way back.

Archived