Whatever Happened to the Embassy Suites?

northernbizzkit1

Does anyone remember the mentioning of an Embassy Suites being erected next to Peabody Place? It seems as though I read an article last fall even on how funding was secured and construction would begin in the fall...Well, we're heading into summer, and I still have yet to see a crane. Plenty of cars in the surface parking lot on the tentative site...It is an area that certainly needs a building rather than a parking lot. It's a massive eyesore for the area and just doesn't blend with the area. We've seen how the Hampton Inn & Suites is now taking the title of the busiest one in the world and has one numerous awards. Hilton has an HQ here, so why don't they build it? I'm waiting...impatiently, I might add!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the block between the Orpheum and Brinkley Plaza, right?

I don't have a clue about it.

There's a Westin supposed to be going up next to the Gibson Factory across from the FedEx Forum.

That's the block between the Orpheum and Brinkley Plaza, right? 

I don't have a clue about it.

There's a Westin supposed to be going up next to the Gibson Factory across from the FedEx Forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummm...I don't think so. If you were at Jillian's, you would look up...2nd Street, I believe. In front of you would be Peabody Place Tower and Garage, next to it is the empty lot, and then there is the restaurant row-esque area with Automatic Slims, Pancho's, etc. It's essentially the last open lot surrounding Peabody Place (apart from the Greyhound Station on Third...but it's leaving us soon for the airport...Yay!!!).

Ummm...I don't think so. If you were at Jillian's, you would look up...2nd Street, I believe. In front of you would be Peabody Place Tower and Garage, next to it is the empty lot, and then there is the restaurant row-esque area with Automatic Slims, Pancho's, etc. It's essentially the last open lot surrounding Peabody Place (apart from the Greyhound Station on Third...but it's leaving us soon for the airport...Yay!!!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This might be it. This lot is across from the Peabody Place tower:

31451183.jpg

You need to take some pictures of Memphis. I live in Minnesota and haven't been down there in over a year now.

No, it's more along the interior of the whole Peabody Place development. Those other surface lots are more on the perimeter. This lot is bound on the west by the old Jolly Royal (would that be the new Vue?); on the south by the Peabody Place Tower garage; on the north by the row of buildings that contains like bizzkit said Panchos and Automatic Slims, and an Indian cuisine place; and on the east by Second Street (across from Peabody Place mall).

That last pic looks like it is near the Tristate Bank, taken from the direction of Beale. There is a vast parking lot west of there (to the left of that picture) that would be PERFECT for a high-rise development. Between Gayoso Apartments and the Orpheum (which is a different locale than where the Embassy Suites was planned way back when).

• 1 year later...
How are they going to expand the Peabody itself? Back when they built the first couple phases of Peabody Place, my impression was that they viewed the additional hotels (Hampton, Embassy) as the technical additions to the Peabody complex.

I hope it is back on track and bigger than originally announced (originally about the size of the Hampton).

That was my response to the articles...my best guess is that they will build on top of the parking lot used for Peabody Hotel guests and Peabody Place visitors (the one with Hooters in it). Perhaps a 10 or 15 story addition. That should give a little density to the skyline.

That was my response to the articles...my best guess is that they will build on top of the parking lot used for Peabody Hotel guests and Peabody Place visitors (the one with Hooters in it). Perhaps a 10 or 15 story addition. That should give a little density to the skyline.

Archived