Puerto Rico votes yes to become the 51st state

cityboi

Puerto Rico may be closer than ever in becoming the 51st state of the United States. Currently Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and Puerto Ricans are considered Americans. But now that the majority of Puerto Ricans want their land to become a state, Washington is paying attention. President Obama expressed support for the referendum and pledged to respect the will of the people in the event of a clear majority. With Obama's popularity among Latinos, Obama may get serious about it. However it would take an act of congress to officially make Puerto Rico the 51st state. It may not be as difficult as you think because Republicans realize they need latinos on their side and supporting this would be a good start. I guess we'll see what happens.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57546260/puerto-rico-votes-for-u.s-statehood-in-non-binding-referendum/?tag=cbsnewsHardNewsFDArea;fdmodule

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vacationing there a few years ago (recommend if you've never been) left me with the impression from speaking with locals, it was split 1/3 for statehood, 1/3 independence and 1/3 stay a territory. The independence faction then was pretty visible, with grafitti and such. They wanted nothing to do with USA. I also would welcome them into the union. After Texas secedes first. Then we wouldn't have to change the flag. Just kidding Texas.

Vacationing there a few years ago (recommend if you've never been) left me with the impression from speaking with locals, it was split 1/3 for statehood, 1/3 independence and 1/3 stay a territory. The independence faction then was pretty visible, with grafitti and such. They wanted nothing to do with USA. I also would welcome them into the union. After Texas secedes first. Then we wouldn't have to change the flag. Just kidding Texas.

This is what the flag would look like with 51 stars

US_flag_51_stars.png

The Texas and Puerto Rico flags are similar. And NC looks similar to Texas flag

North Carolina

300px-Flag_of_North_Carolina.svg.png

Texas

nunst070.gif

Puerto Rico

flagbig.GIF

Cuba

Cuba_flag.gif

Liberia