UConn moving West Hartford campus to city

beerbeer

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I think the consensus will be of course booring, I think the consensus will also be 100% better than we we have today.

Further, The Uconn building will be of a higher quality than the apartment or the strip mall next door.

One more note.   The renders make even the times building side look bland.  so bland in fact that I didnt realize it was the old facade the fist time through.  So we may have glass with a green hueue to match the marble or something a little more interesting and of course lighting

• 5 months later...

I think it will look pretty good next to the apartment also

the only issue doen there is the existing retail spaces without houseing :(  and the Arch Street lots

I suspect they will be able to build additional residential above the retail and a Phase 4 is mentioned in some documents for the Arch lots

meh

• 3 weeks later...

The Rell administration eliminated housing from above the retail on Front St. What is there today is what will be there. There will be retail along the Front St section of the Times building across from the apartments.

Welcome to the forums Suzanne!

While I know you are in a position to know better than any of us, It is my understanding that the structure itself was engineerd to allow for additional residential above the retail.

Obviously this could be a challenge with tenents below, but Rell "allowed Nitkin" to not build residential, she did not redesign the buildings to eliminate hte possibility of ever building residentiall above.

Even 3 floors of stick built residential would be  a massive improvement for the area

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The University will hold an official groundbreaking ceremony at the Hartford Times building on Monday, May 18.

The board also approved the purchase of a nearby structure, located at 38 Prospect Street, to provide additional academic space to the downtown campus. The cost of purchasing the building is included in the design budget. UConn officials say the acquisition is further evidence of the University’s commitment to Hartford. And it may allow UConn to start developing its presence there in advance of opening the main building.

image4.jpgimage10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://touch.courant.com/#section/2225/article/p2p-83564728/

Groundbreaking is Today

It is amazing that this project and DONO are going to be under development at the same time.  these are heady days for Hartford

I am both excited about what could be next

and nervous about it all screeching to a halt before enough gets built.

but right now things look good

• 3 weeks later...

here is the official word on UCONN also buying the 38 prospect.

nice scoop Beer beer

anyways I have not been by here since ground breaking so I cant wait see the piled of dirt.

in the past I stated that 2017, Hartford will be amazing and .. it will but 2018 is when all the stuff is likely to really be completed :)

so that might be the date to watch

• 8 months later...

The Newest article today indicated the true CAMPUS feel they are working on.

They are going to lease/renovate 4000+ SF of space at Hartford Public Library.

this new space further spreads the campus and engages with the city.  The space will remain open to the public too, so its really a win win.

Add this to the university leasing the theater in the Wadsworth, and buying the small office building next to the Elks club, and you can really see a campus starting to develop.

Parking agreements BTW include the convention center, Science center and at Front street itself.

so people will be all over that area which is awesome

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived