Rutledge Hill area...think all the development in SOBRO will continue south?

nashwatcher

http://www.nashvilleledger.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=62354

Really enjoyed this article. With SOBRO developing at such a rapid pace, does anyone think Rutledge Hill will be the next area to develop out, maybe in the next 5-10 yrs? And if so, do you see this as being an area for residential development, office buildings, or a mix? It seems that like SOBRO, there is a great potential for rapid growth in this area as it's kind of a blank slate with empty lots and underdeveloped buildings...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nashville...e.aspx?id=62354

Really enjoyed this article. With SOBRO developing at such a rapid pace, does anyone think Rutledge Hill will be the next area to develop out, maybe in the next 5-10 yrs? And if so, do you see this as being an area for residential development, office buildings, or a mix? It seems that like SOBRO, there is a great potential for rapid growth in this area as it's kind of a blank slate with empty lots and underdeveloped buildings...

Where exactly is Rutledge Hill located?

Rutledge Hill is home to a small handful of serious architectual gems. It's one of the few places you can still get a glimpse of OLLLLLLLLLLLLLLD Nashville. It's really a shame that aside from those handful of buildings, the rest of the area was left to turn to garbage. OH how wonderful it would be if we could do the sixties and seventies over again...at least in regard to urban design. haha

Rutledge Hill is home to a small handful of serious architectual gems. It's one of the few places you can still get a glimpse of OLLLLLLLLLLLLLLD Nashville. It's really a shame that aside from those handful of buildings, the rest of the area was left to turn to garbage. OH how wonderful it would be if we could do the sixties and seventies over again...at least in regard to urban design. haha

Agree, Bna

WW

Rolling Mill Hill and Rutledge Hill have nice long-term potential. Because both are relative small geographically, you can almost view them as one district. And since RMH has no commercial space, its residents can use the Rutledge Hill retail (like Crema, Hermitage Cafe and Peabody Food Court), which, again, allows a synergy that almost fuses the two.

And, yes, I would say the Rutledge Hill boundaries are KVB on the north, First/Hermitage on the east, Fourth Avenue South on the west and, I assume, the inner-interstate loop on the south (though I could be wrong; the Nashville Downtown Partnership has a map that shows the various downtown districts).

WW

never thought about it like that, but this is one of my favorite architectual bits in the city:

306756_10151875116015564_210069996_n.jpg

on second avenue, just north of elm street.

eric b

Incredible picture eric B. I wish Rutledge Hill and Germantown would develop hundreds of these types. It would look so much like areas of DC, Boston, Baltimore, etc. and be such a nice urban contrast to Sobro and CBD.

Whenever I'm in Nashville I always take this route when I go to Predators and Titans games. I wish all the warehouses would go away and be replaced with buildings like those in the picture.

I think that area has a ton of potential. There's not a ton of the historic stock left, but what is there is really, really cool.

The neighborhood also has a nice perch and has some of the nicest views in the city.

Kind of on topic, here are some pictures I took a little while back (April 2011).

Taken from my camera phone...so quality is not super high:

5586875183_0b82fd5420_b.jpg

Nashville Children's Theatre

5587469758_ea8da42b37_b.jpg

Middleton @ 2nd -- one of the common complaints about Nashville urban neighborhoods: THOSE DAMN POWER LINES!

5586875739_35c7e04475_b.jpg

A couple of cool buildings on Rutledge St.

5587472466_f430c8bb6a_b.jpg

Another angle

5586880111_d0d52d0655_b.jpg

On Middleton

5587475356_a29d3349db_b.jpg

Near the junction with the Rolling Mill Hill development.

5586875983_8309441ff7_b.jpg

One of the views of downtown.

I think the wedge between 2nd Ave and the river has a lot of immediate potential. The adjacent areas west of second and south of KVB will take a bit more time IMO.

I'm drooling and mad at the same time. Wish we had more of those buildings!!!

I am partial to this partial of town as I grew up down the street on Nolensville/Harding Pl. and the south area of town is where I am most familiar and ran around!

I'm drooling and mad at the same time. Wish we had more of those buildings!!!

I am partial to this partial of town as I grew up down the street on Nolensville/Harding Pl. and the south area of town is where I am most familiar and ran around!

Even though some of it is a little sketchy/run down, I think the drive in from Nolensville Rd through 2nd Ave is one of the most interesting in town...also one of my favorites.

I absolutely love the Lindsley Ave Church of Christ building on Lindsley and 2nd. With all the warehouses and lack of residential areas over the years I had assumed that the building was empty. However, I searched online and found that they still meet there and use the building, which is obviously great news.

If this area does develop like we think it will, I would like it to be done in an architectural style that recalls the days that these other buildings were designed and constructed.......2-4 stories with only brick or stone and plenty of architectural details.

Archived