Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

Looks like the NBJ got part of the story.  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/01/southern-land-nixes-plans-for-green.html

I guess we'll see more on this soon.  Here's a rendering of the 14-story version.  I must say I rather prefer the shorter tower... the taller one looked disconnected from the lobby. 

southernlandgreenhillsnsh-1*304.jpg

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

A tidbit most people don't know is that there are a couple investors are buying up all the lots on 51st with plans of building a future 12south like neighborhood commercial district.  Although its still a little ways off it will be a true asset to the neighborhood in the future.  

This is terrific news. Thanks for sharing! Hopefully we'll hear more about this soon. 

I remember WW's post from a while back saying he wasn't very high on the street.  I'm not sure why he's so down on the corridor.  It's already starting to separate itself from Murfreesboro Pike, Nolensville Pike, Dickerson Pike, Lebanon Pike, and Clarksville Pike.  Its similar to Gallatin with as much or more upside due it running the a budding healthcare corridor.  I don't like when people compare Charlotte to 12South because the two are very different animals.  When we mention 12South's development we're only talking about 12 blocks or so, when we talk about Charlotte we're talking about 7 miles.  The neighborhoods around the corridor are booming at the moment.  That boom means disposable income that wasn't there before which leads to redevelopment of the commercial districts.  If all the developments announced last year come to fruition this year, The Pike (what my Grandparents called it) will be well on its way.

Charlotte Pike, the physical roadway and not the general corridor, is in need of a serious reconstruction from about 50th all the way to Walmart at I-40. TDOT used to do that to various important arteries around the state, but not so much any more.

The rehab would involve a reconstruction of the roadway within the existing right-of-way (row). A more consistent roadway would be laid out that does not require so much weaving and changing lanes when a lane suddenly becomes a turn lane. It would build sidewalks with proper street drainage and proper driveway control. Additional through lanes would be provided where r.o.w. is available and all traffic signals would be upgraded and made more efficient. The results are a more efficient, increased capacity road that moves traffic and makes retail shopping more desirable due to the increased traffic efficiency and perceived safety. 

Unfortunately, legislative demand for rural, four-lane highways has depleted the funds necessary to do such rewarding projects. Then there's the NIMBY problem. Business owners do not like change to their main access road. They do not want the construction disruption nor the regulated driveway and curb control.

It would be nice to see the City insist on such a project, but I doubt it will happen.

I really see Metro doing a streetscape project on Charlotte in the near future. From 440 to Whitebridge. It just makes sense. As for the area you are talking about, I have to agree 100%. its always a Cluster through that area. The biggest problem is the area from WhiteBridge to WalMart because the road narrows so much. Would take a serious amout of cash to fix.

Every time I happen upon one those rural 4 lane highways it bewilders me.  Its such a waste of resources on so many different levels.  We can't use a tiny tiny percentage of the budget to build BRT on one of the busiest streets in the state but we can build a massive highway through Dowelltown.

• Like 4

Every time I happen upon one those rural 4 lane highways it bewilders me.  Its such a waste of resources on so many different levels.  We can't use a tiny tiny percentage of the budget to build BRT on one of the busiest streets in the state but we can build a massive highway through Dowelltown.

Amen!  Every time I go to Fall Creek Falls I become bewildered and enraged that the state spent millions of dollars to build an interstate style exit from Hwy 111 to the road that leads to FCF.  At its busiest there might be 20 cars an hour.  And a 4-lane road from Spencer to that exit??  It is ludicrous, particularly when we hear whining from the state that there's not enough money for mass transit projects.

from another perspective, 

growing up in the rural north west corner of the state, I can say that I love the 4 lane.  when I was little the 2 lane to the interstate was so bad that we usually took a different route all together, we would take the 4 lane purchase parkway in Kentucky then I-24 to Nashville because it was 30 minutes faster to visit my grand parents, once they finished widening highway 22 to 4 lanes while I was in high school, (at that point I lived here) trips back to see my dad were much quicker taking highway 22.

there are still a few weird interchanges where you have to take a bypass or go through a town center, but I like the 4 lane drive.

I've always heard that at some point in the past one of the governors wanted a four lane highway from the interstate to every county seat in the state.   

Sorry, getting way off topic here, but one last comment on state highways.

That was in the late 90's as I recall in the Sundquist administration. They soon begin to realize how financially burdensome this would become and modified it to install only moderate improvements in some cases. Building a four lane to Waverly would have been crazy.

Governor Don Sundquist's other dream was to make US 64 across the southern part of the state a four lane from Memphis to I-24 at Monteagle. Even though he wanted it all under contract by the time he left office, it is still incomplete, 12 years later.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very exciting.  I hate that the church was destroyed but I'm so grateful there isn't a Rite Aide sitting on that corner.

You and me both brother. Would have been horrid. Looks as if we will have at least two new projects hopefully starting this year on the Charlotte corridor. I think the Hill project will start by mid year.

• Like 1

There is also a planned two story development just down the street next door to LeQuire gallery. Permit calls for first floor retail and second floor law offices. Used to be Sons Upholstery in an old bungalow.

In regards to the church property, I'm very happy to see someone doing something that will fit with existing architecture/urban fabric. I was one of the more vocal opponents to the Rite Aid. So glad they backed out. I do hope that this will be mixed use and not just residential. Can't wait to see renderings.

• Like 1

I hated to see that old bungalow next to the LeQuire Gallery be demolished.  It seemed to be structurally sound and had a lot of character.  I think it would have made a great tavern or bicycle shop.  I was thinking very seriously about opening an outfitter a while back and it was one of the places I had my eye on.

The filling station/growler filling concept is really taking off in Nashville. It seems they are sprouting up everywhere.....which I am not complaining about at all.

Went to The Hop Stop the other night and filled up two growlers. Pretty great you don't have to trek to Frugals now.

Went to The Hop Stop the other night and filled up two growlers. Pretty great you don't have to trek to Frugals now.

That building is owned by my family and it makes me incredibly happy how nice Jessie and the rest of the crew at The Hop Stop have made it.

It so beautiful on the inside.

Plus, they have Sprecher Hard Root Beer on tap and it....is....delicious.

• Like 2