Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Does the parcel also extend west all the way to I-440? I believe the ALSCO uniform building is the white quadrilateral adjacent to the marked sliver (which is 100 x 1500 ft based on Google maps), and it sounds like that will be demolished. Would give more space for road access.

Alsco is a separate parcel and owned by them it looks like according to parcel viewer. There is a strip of land in between this land and the interstate and that part of the land I think may be owned by the state as there is no owner listed and the zoning simply states IR with no owner listed. That is probably part of the state right of way, but I am unsure.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dunkijo said:

Is this due to lumber supply or for another structural reason?

I am almost certain it is due to the absurd price and scarcity of lumber, as you cited, especially given the ongoing breakneck pace of local construction of single family homes, townhouses, and 5-over-1s all clamoring for wood. Certainly haven't seen steel framing previously for any of the <6 story buildings in the neighborhood. I wonder if this means that there will be steel-framed tall skinnies going up soon, too?

Random length lumber commodity price chart (Source: Nasdaq) - up another 4.2% today to $1544:

image.png.c58d6db9859ac4ce5bb7a115ab2ed27c.png

Interesting and incredibly frustrating all the specific things that are in shortage right now - e.g. lumber, computer chips, and scientific laboratory supplies (specifically, pipette tips).

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AsianintheNations said:

That looks really cool! But for God's sake, PLEASE put a crosswalk somewhere, anywhere and make a more welcoming pedestrian entrance instead of the solid wall of parking! I think I speak for everyone in the Nations that we are sick of having to jaywalk across 4 lanes of truck traffic to get to all this cool new retail on the other side of Centennial (or otherwise trudging all the way to 51st Ave to cross the street).

The 51st crosswalk is better since the construction but it still feels a bit dangerous at times. Mainly because so many people get confused at that intersection combined with the large trucks going through.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, samsonh said:

The 51st crosswalk is better since the construction but it still feels a bit dangerous at times. Mainly because so many people get confused at that intersection combined with the large trucks going through.

Yeah, it's not awesome by any stretch - I've complained plenty about the 51st-Centennial-Louisiana intersection elsewhere. That crosswalk is only one the western side of the intersection for some reason. But at least it's a marked crosswalk. Last I checked, there are ZERO more crosswalks heading west on Centennial, as in all the way to the end of Centennial at John C Tune. There are a few going east - e.g. one for the Innophos parking lot, then another at 39th at the entryway to TSU's western side of campus. Honestly not much on the other side of the street to cross to at both locations right now. I think the intersection of New York, 54th, and Centennial shown below would be a great location for a painted crosswalk and a yield to pedestrians sign for traffic on Centennial Blvd. Silo Market, Nashville Lumber re-use, and that building with White Bison and the nail and tattoo shops are all destinations across Centennial from the bulk of Nations residents who are in walking distance. And the growing number of people living on the river side of Centennial (Silo Bend and other Silo X  Y Z projects, Alta Union, etc.) might like to walk their dogs on the quieter streets to the south or go to Burger Joint / Ugly Mug / Daddy's Dogs.

image.png.dd1fe5baa052c07924f95056e42e8677.png

• Like 1

I think 54th at Silo bend might need a light or a 4-way at some point. I think the 51-Centennial intersection will be mostly solved if they put another ped refuge on the corner by the Deli like this terrible MS Paint I did but Louisiana being there is really a mess.

intersection.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It would make it a lot worse or pedestrians IMO. With traffic round abouts it seems that drivers always seem to think they have the right of way over pedestrians when they approach the intersections. When I am walking downtown, I hate crossing at one of the circles because drivers just are not paying attention to pedestrians.

A solution would be a round about with a modified traffic signal  in heavy pedestrian areas that can be triggered by  a push signal that can actually turn the signal red for the pedestrian rather than a flashing yellow. From what I have seen the flashing yellow does not work here for pedestrian crossings and they need to be flashing reds.

In Washington DC there are actually traffic signals at the many circles but these are times because there is so much traffic and pedestrians at these areas such as Dupont Circle.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, AsianintheNations said:

Yeah, it's not awesome by any stretch - I've complained plenty about the 51st-Centennial-Louisiana intersection elsewhere. That crosswalk is only one the western side of the intersection for some reason. But at least it's a marked crosswalk. Last I checked, there are ZERO more crosswalks heading west on Centennial, as in all the way to the end of Centennial at John C Tune. There are a few going east - e.g. one for the Innophos parking lot, then another at 39th at the entryway to TSU's western side of campus. Honestly not much on the other side of the street to cross to at both locations right now. I think the intersection of New York, 54th, and Centennial shown below would be a great location for a painted crosswalk and a yield to pedestrians sign for traffic on Centennial Blvd. Silo Market, Nashville Lumber re-use, and that building with White Bison and the nail and tattoo shops are all destinations across Centennial from the bulk of Nations residents who are in walking distance. And the growing number of people living on the river side of Centennial (Silo Bend and other Silo X  Y Z projects, Alta Union, etc.) might like to walk their dogs on the quieter streets to the south or go to Burger Joint / Ugly Mug / Daddy's Dogs.

it is only a matter of time before more traffic lights and cross walks pop up along centennial, especially given the population density is going to go through the roof with all apartment complexes. I would contact Mary Carolyn and ask her what the city's plans are.

Edited by ThunderOne
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Wait, so according to the NIMBY's, this project and those like it both 'drive the poor out' and also, simultaneously, attract poor people and crime because density somehow automatically equals both of those things... it sounds to me like their narrative has no clear direction or basis.  Once again when the dust settles we are left with a bunch of people who are simply afraid of change, in whatever form it takes.  I think it's high time we remove the microphone from the NIMBY pedestal.  They are certainly entitled to their opinions and free to share those opinions with anyone who will listen.  But it seems to me that it's pretty rare that the NIMBY crowd has any input actually worth listening to.    That is not to say that developers should be able to just do whatever they want and that input from the community doesn't have it's place, and opposition to a project obviously doesn't automatically make one a NIMBY.  But if people are just pulling whatever random excuses they can out of their butt's to justify their general fear of new things, then I'd say that not only do they qualify as NIMBY's, but they also aren't worth wasting any time trying to appease and listen to.  They're free to move somewhere else if they're so haunted by multi-story construction, and there will be a thousand people chomping at the bit to take their place in the new and improved neighborhood.  

Yes, you nailed it on the head. This apartment building on former commercial space is both driving out and attracting the poor, according to nimbys. The reality of course being that some middle/upper middle class people will be moving into a predominantly middle/upper middle class neighborhood. But that doesn’t make for a viral Facebook headline, so “Old Nashville is dead, what a tragedy!” is what they go with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1