Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

$2.35 million dollar permit pulled to renovate the long vacant Victoria's Secret space at the Mall at Green Hills for Aritzia, a women's clothing store. It will fill a pretty prominent space that has been empty for quite a while. Canadian retailer with their first TN store.

$2.35 million to re-do the interior of a relatively small space inside a mall? That seems mighty steep.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

$2.35 million to re-do the interior of a relatively small space inside a mall? That seems mighty steep.

I agree that it is a lot, but the space is 7018sf (according to the drawings) and it looks like a complete gut and rework. It also seems to be an upscale retailer. Still, it's a lot.

9 minutes ago, markhollin said:

“It’s early in the process,” said Kathleen Murphy (District 24 Metro Council member), who held a virtual community meeting regarding the project earlier this week. “We’re still working out how the site will work with the heights the developer is requesting and in relation to the community input and Nashville Next policy update from the summer of 2018. I do like the thought of a grocery store at that location and on a transit line. We have a food desert in that area, north of it and moving east toward downtown. A grocery store would help with that.”

I'm not sure I'd really call this area a food desert given the relatively close Save-a-Lot, Kroger, and Turnip Truck locations accessible by car and the #50 bus, but another grocery store would still be welcome and chip away at the food desert to the northeast that Murphy alluded to. I believe this building would also displace the existing Rosie's Market in the southeastern corner of that block.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

I'm not sure I'd really call this area a food desert given the relatively close Save-a-Lot, Kroger, and Turnip Truck locations accessible by car and the #50 bus, but another grocery store would still be welcome and chip away at the food desert to the northeast that Murphy alluded to. I believe this building would also displace the existing Rosie's Market in the southeastern corner of that block.

Save-A-Lot just closed

• Like 1

I don’t trust the criteria used to designate Nashville’s “food deserts.” A few years ago my neighborhood was given that distinction and I can easily walk to the nearest full line grocery store, less than 1/2 mile from my front door. There are also six restaurants, three convenience stores, and two general merchandise stores that sell numerous grocery items in the vicinity of the grocery. Or is all this just a mirage in my neighborhood “food desert?” :tw_flushed:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Haven Charlotte (9 or 10  stories, 318 units) at 3025 Charlotte Ave. (sandwiched between OneC1TY and I-440) has secured a demo permit to begin clearing the site.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/permit-patrol-31-may-2021/article_855b560a-bfe9-11eb-aea6-574a20817a7c.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, markhollin said:

Looking SW from Centennial Blvd., west of CSX tracks:

Broadstone Nations, May 31, 2021, 2.jpeg

I've noticed that a lot of new apartment complexes, single-family homes, and commercial spaces (including the adjacent Stocking 51 expansion) are dark gray/black. Doesn't this end up absorbing more heat and increase cooling costs during the summer? Or is this not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things?

4 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

I've noticed that a lot of new apartment complexes, single-family homes, and commercial spaces (including the adjacent Stocking 51 expansion) are dark gray/black. Doesn't this end up absorbing more heat and increase cooling costs during the summer? Or is this not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things?

Whereas architects and developers used to be context sensitive and site aware--nowadays they're like ... "Money, money, money. YOLO!" 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

I had been wondering this too. I guess since a lot of these are new builds, the people choosing the paint are not the people paying the electric bills.

19 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

3 hours ago, GregH said:

I had been wondering this too. I guess since a lot of these are new builds, the people choosing the paint are not the people paying the electric bills.

To a certain extent, yes the darker materials absorb heat. But it is not like these walls are designed to be trombe wall or thermal mass. The brick walls are all veneer walls and the hardie walls have material so thin the heat does not really absorb and transmit nearly as much as one would think. The insulation layers behind these materials are where the cool/hot temperatures meet and really it is negligible in terms of the temperature transfer. The big deal currently is sealing air leaks and thermal bridging between studs and exterior and the energy code does a pretty decent job at minimizing those impacts. 

The biggest exterior material that causes concerns currently it the roof. Especially if there is mechanical equipment on it. Asphalt shingle roofs are still the go to material for pitched roofs, but they are giant heat islands. Flat roofs on many of the apartment buildings have been going with the white roofs because they reflect heat, but also the roof top equipment has to work less because the heat generated externally by the roofs don't heat up the air around the equipment. One could argue that the intake air vents that are on the side of the buildings could be pulling higher temperature air into the units, but with the overall comfort of these new units, the required air change is probably a negligible cost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

To a certain extent, yes the darker materials absorb heat. But it is not like these walls are designed to be trombe wall or thermal mass. The brick walls are all veneer walls and the hardie walls have material so thin the heat does not really absorb and transmit nearly as much as one would think. The insulation layers behind these materials are where the cool/hot temperatures meet and really it is negligible in terms of the temperature transfer. The big deal currently is sealing air leaks and thermal bridging between studs and exterior and the energy code does a pretty decent job at minimizing those impacts. 

The biggest exterior material that causes concerns currently it the roof. Especially if there is mechanical equipment on it. Asphalt shingle roofs are still the go to material for pitched roofs, but they are giant heat islands. Flat roofs on many of the apartment buildings have been going with the white roofs because they reflect heat, but also the roof top equipment has to work less because the heat generated externally by the roofs don't heat up the air around the equipment. One could argue that the intake air vents that are on the side of the buildings could be pulling higher temperature air into the units, but with the overall comfort of these new units, the required air change is probably a negligible cost.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! That makes a lot of sense. I was honestly probably extrapolating the Mythbusters white vs. black car heating experiment, when of course buildings operate very differently.

Is there a better alternative to asphalt shingle for pitched roofs on single-family houses? I suppose trapping heat is favorable during the winter, but I don't know how that trade-off looks against the cost during the summer. Based on your discussion, sounds like good insulation is the most important regardless of season (and I've certainly seen that first-hand, seeing how low my cooling/heating energy consumption is here in a new house compared to in the Boston area in a succession of old, poorly-insulated apartment buildings).

• Like 3

Sterling at Nashville West (four 4 & 5 story buildings, 260 units) update: massive excavation of hillside continues; first building has a couple levels up.

Looking SW from Charlotte Pike, 1/4 block west of Rive Road:

Sterling Nashville West, May 31, 2021, 1.jpeg

Looking SW from Charlotte Pike, 1/2 block west of Rive Road:

Sterling Nashville West, May 31, 2021, 2.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Sterling at Nashville West (four 4 & 5 story buildings, 260 units) update: massive excavation of hillside continues; first building has a couple levels up.

Southern is spending a lot of money on this site for what they're getting, between the excavation and the underground detention.