Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

21 hours ago, markhollin said:

L'endroit will be a residential project featuring 160 condos and 9,000 sq. ft. of commercial space  to be built by Guerrier Development at 5915 Charlotte Pike. The developer will base its offices in the new building.  No groundbreaking date available, nor a rendering yet. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mixed-use-building-eyed-for-west-side-site/article_8e6e5dce-d2b2-11eb-8cf6-1f7558263fae.html

L'endroit, June 21, 2021, site map.png

Does anyone have a sense as to whether this development (and others that I'm not familiar with) is helping to extend the Charlotte Pike growth further to the west?  This part of town could use some improvement.  Will the Bellevue development eventually tie into the growth extending down this major artery from downtown/midtown?

To me, that project seems more like an island than an extension of anything. The stretch from maybe Morrow Rd. to Nashville West has been pretty static aside from some replacement-level low density commercial stuff. I'm not an advocate of road widening but Charlotte between White Bridge and Hillwood is a big bottleneck and suffers from a lot a traffic and has virtually no pedestrian infrastructure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GregH said:

To me, that project seems more like an island than an extension of anything. The stretch from maybe Morrow Rd. to Nashville West has been pretty static aside from some replacement-level low density commercial stuff. I'm not an advocate of road widening but Charlotte between White Bridge and Hillwood is a big bottleneck and suffers from a lot a traffic and has virtually no pedestrian infrastructure.

It seems that the home ownership aspect of condos versus apartments would be a positive sign.  Granted, traffic is an issue in this stretch but that could be motivating for some people to move into this area, if they can afford it.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 3:23 PM, Andrew_3289 said:

May be the least creative design of all time, I understand its an improvement of what was there, but a little bit of creativity could have made an impact here. 

Edison Park, May 31, 2021, 1.jpeg

Please tell me this is a joke.  I refuse to believe these are townhomes for purchase.  Refuse.  No.  I do not believe you.  No!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

Widening from White Bridge to American is in design now with a 2025 letting. TDOT called it "Priority #1" in the latest three-year plan, whatever that means.

Eventually Charlotte will be widened to 5 lanes all the way to Old Hickory Boulevard, I would guess in the 2025-2028 range. The other segments ought to be stuck somewhere between environmental and design.

I'll believe it when I see them move the first of 1000 telephone poles that are in the way of such an undertaking!

19 hours ago, nashville born said:

Please tell me this is a joke.  I refuse to believe these are townhomes for purchase.  Refuse.  No.  I do not believe you.  No!

Don't worry, most of them are not available for purchase ... because according to their website, they've already sold 45 of the 48 townhomes (=$25 million), including all of the ones that haven't even been built yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of these were bought by out of state companies looking to turn them into rentals. The exteriors compare unfavorably to local public housing,  but I guess as long as there’s a granite countertop inside it’s still priced as a luxury residence? It’s so frustrating from an urban housing standpoint that townhomes and condos that should be filling the “missing middle” of housing, and certainly are being built with no frills and minimal amenities, are still priced like luxury units. But as long as people (who look like fools but may well profit by then charging short-term rental prices) keep handing over money for it sight unseen, why not?

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 3:17 PM, markhollin said:

L'endroit will be a residential project featuring 160 condos and 9,000 sq. ft. of commercial space  to be built by Guerrier Development at 5915 Charlotte Pike. The developer will base its offices in the new building.  No groundbreaking date available, nor a rendering yet. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mixed-use-building-eyed-for-west-side-site/article_8e6e5dce-d2b2-11eb-8cf6-1f7558263fae.html

Saw these renderings on the Nashville Post IG account. 

01-1.png

Edited by Andrew_3289
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2021 at 9:15 PM, AsianintheNations said:

Don't worry, most of them are not available for purchase ... because according to their website, they've already sold 45 of the 48 townhomes (=$25 million), including all of the ones that haven't even been built yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of these were bought by out of state companies looking to turn them into rentals. The exteriors compare unfavorably to local public housing,  but I guess as long as there’s a granite countertop inside it’s still priced as a luxury residence? It’s so frustrating from an urban housing standpoint that townhomes and condos that should be filling the “missing middle” of housing, and certainly are being built with no frills and minimal amenities, are still priced like luxury units. But as long as people (who look like fools but may well profit by then charging short-term rental prices) keep handing over money for it sight unseen, why not?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this area outside of the permitted "non-owner occupied STR" zones that were created a couple of years ago?  I remember that current ones were grandfathered, but new ones not allowed unless in certain districts (mostly near downtown).

3 hours ago, Andrew_3289 said:

Anyone know what is going at the old Shell Station on the Corner of 51st and Charlotte? 

They have fencing put up and a digger on site. 

shell.png

It's going to be another gas station, a MapCo

1 hour ago, ThunderOne said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this area outside of the permitted "non-owner occupied STR" zones that were created a couple of years ago?  I remember that current ones were grandfathered, but new ones not allowed unless in certain districts (mostly near downtown).

I think for SP-zoned projects the answer is "it depends on what the SP says".  I think this is the bill for that SP but whether or not it allows STR exceeds my interest in trying to parse https://www.nashville.gov/Metro-Clerk/Legislative/Ordinances/Details/9e57c7f5-ac4e-4d41-a294-380506d504fb/2015-2019/BL2018-1326.aspx 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GregH said:

It's going to be another gas station, a MapCo

I think for SP-zoned projects the answer is "it depends on what the SP says".  I think this is the bill for that SP but whether or not it allows STR exceeds my interest in trying to parse https://www.nashville.gov/Metro-Clerk/Legislative/Ordinances/Details/9e57c7f5-ac4e-4d41-a294-380506d504fb/2015-2019/BL2018-1326.aspx 

Here is what I found on the matter.  I clicked a few around the Nations area and I do not see any "issued" permits for N.O.O. STRs past about 2017, which would line up with the time the ordinance went into effect.

https://data.nashville.gov/Licenses-Permits/Residential-Short-Term-Rental-Permits-Map-/wa2i-5s6e

Edited by ThunderOne

On 6/24/2021 at 1:45 PM, ThunderOne said:

Here is what I found on the matter.  I clicked a few around the Nations area and I do not see any "issued" permits for N.O.O. STRs past about 2017, which would line up with the time the ordinance went into effect.

https://data.nashville.gov/Licenses-Permits/Residential-Short-Term-Rental-Permits-Map-/wa2i-5s6e

Thanks for looking into that, and glad to hear about the absence of new N.O.O. STR permits. I looked at the public property records for the Edison Park units; most still show the developers (Toll Brothers) as the owners, but a few have been updated and seem to be a mix of real people and companies, who I guess will be doing long-term rentals. Several houses nearby recently converted to long-term rentals and are charging ~$3500/month, which comes out to a little over $100/day, not too far off from what AirBnBs were going for on weekdays before fees (obviously not weekends, but the clean-up costs after those disasters were enough of a headache that at least one STR owner who maintained the property himself said he wasn't going to do short-term rentals anymore).

In the course of looking into the above, I realized the street numbering for Edison Park is a little odd. On the gridded parts of the city, the numbers on east-west streets increase by 100 every time you cross a numbered avenue (even if there is not truly an intersection) and are more or less the cross-avenue times 100. And I thought the north-south streets (i.e. the numbered avenues themselves) followed roughly the same convention, as measured outward from West End/Broadway. But I think since there are very few houses actually facing the numbered avenues in Sylvan Park / Nations, the numbering is inconsistent. 51st Ave N is the most consistently numbered by block since it has a lot of storefronts so I assume that is the "standard." Edison Park has been assigned the upper range of the 1500s on 57th Ave N, continuing from West Mill across California Ave, which correctly (based on 51st Ave N) occupies 1401-1531 across two blocks. If it were following convention, Edison Park should then occupy 1601-1799. But other avenues like 49th and 55th are systemically off by 100 from 51st as well. And there are more oddities on a smaller scale, such as the clever developer who instead of numbering their tall skinnies 5101A and 5101B Tennessee just made them 5499 and 5501, such that 5499 is technically on the wrong side of 55th. I doubt anyone cares about this trivia (clearly the city doesn't), but I somehow find it interesting!

• Like 1