Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

4 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

My question is which side of the street is the bus stop on? If this is on the High School side then it is suicide going across Hillsboro road. I would not ride the bus. 

Sorry Mel this is not a city you can live in without a car. I am not picking on you here I am venting at the idiots that think we can live in Nashville without a car. If these businesses are trying to fool people into thinking this when they move here then they have another thing coming. The time you will waste on a Metro bus will be extreme. Cooper has no idea what he is doing when it some to making buses work here. They will not work because they are stuck in the same blasted traffic that everyone else is stuck in and its only going to get worse.

Anyone that thinks they can make buses work in Nashville now is a MORON. I purposefully took the bus in NYC to see how long it took and it was a nightmare in the middle of the day with little traffic for NYC standards from Chinatown to the Highline. Forty five minutes! If I had talked the subway probably 15 including the walk to get there.

If you do not have a car in this city it will get old very fast. I want to go to the movies, but its not playing in GreenHills, but at Opry Mills, different bus and a lot further. I need to go to Target and not Green Hills Mall, different bus across town. I want to see a friend in Franklin, you can’t get there from here.

All good points, Smeags.  But I sense that downtown Nashville is finally getting the density that would let a resident do most of their weekly tasks without a car.  We'll see how this plays out over the next three years.

The reason the #7 line might work is because it's just a loop from downtown to Green Hills.  No transfers needed.  A downtown resident could think, "I need to go to Green Hills.  Instead of my car, I'll take the 7."  This is an easier decision than having to learn about transfers.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

My question is which side of the street is the bus stop on? If this is on the High School side then it is suicide going across Hillsboro road.

The bus stop is on the high school side and I agree it is a very dangerous road to cross.

I also added some additional thoughts over on the Transportation thread as it spoke more broadly on the transit topic

9 hours ago, GregH said:

I don't like the aesthetics of the tall skinnies but the twofer HPR "loophole" is accidentally the best thing to have happened for house affordability in Nashville in decades.

Agreed, inadvertently ahead of its time, with lots of other cities now just starting to approve similar concepts (like Minneapolis). House prices have gone up, but at least part of that is just that the houses getting built are bigger. Each tall skinny house is 2000+ sq ft when the original single house was only 1000. When I bought my house just 4 years ago, the price per square foot was still under $200. Unfortunately (for new buyers), that seems to have jumped up to closer to $250 now. I think lumber prices are starting to come down again so hopefully that will help a little. What is really needed, but not being built in anywhere near the needed quantity, are 1000-1500 square foot units. Not everyone needs 3-4 bedrooms. Some of the cottage-based and smaller townhouse communities fit this bill; I think I can count the number of standalone houses in this category in the Nations on one hand.

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, GregH said:

I don't like the aesthetics of the tall skinnies but the twofer HPR "loophole" is accidentally the best thing to have happened for house affordability in Nashville in decades.

Agreed - without HPRs we'd be in worse shape than Austin.

What would it take for Nashville to turn its HRP 2-for-1 into a "by right" 4-for-1 in residential zones, similar to Minneapolis or Portland?

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

My question is which side of the street is the bus stop on? If this is on the High School side then it is suicide going across Hillsboro road. I would not ride the bus. 

Sorry Mel this is not a city you can live in without a car. I am not picking on you here I am venting at the idiots that think we can live in Nashville without a car. If these businesses are trying to fool people into thinking this when they move here then they have another thing coming. The time you will waste on a Metro bus will be extreme. Cooper has no idea what he is doing when it some to making buses work here. They will not work because they are stuck in the same blasted traffic that everyone else is stuck in and its only going to get worse.

Anyone that thinks they can make buses work in Nashville now is a MORON. I purposefully took the bus in NYC to see how long it took and it was a nightmare in the middle of the day with little traffic for NYC standards from Chinatown to the Highline. Forty five minutes! If I had talked the subway probably 15 including the walk to get there.

If you do not have a car in this city it will get old very fast. I want to go to the movies, but its not playing in GreenHills, but at Opry Mills, different bus and a lot further. I need to go to Target and not Green Hills Mall, different bus across town. I want to see a friend in Franklin, you can’t get there from here.

With some pedestrian enhancements, such as a dedicated signal, pedestrian islands, etc this wouldn’t be terrible servicing the mall. Ideally you’d have a station on either side of the road. 

• Like 1

A 433 acre tract of land at 7508-7550 Buffalo Rd., near the u.c. Hillwood H.S. has sold for $6.2 million to a New York-based entity of unknown name.  Guessing this will be for a large residential development. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/notes-developer-of-west-end-park-site-lands-40-7m-loan/article_445ab342-df67-11eb-8c56-c728c1798709.html

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, markhollin said:

A 433 acre tract of land at 7508-7550 Buffalo Rd., near the u.c. Hillwood H.S. has sold for $6.2 million to a New York-based entity of unknown name.  Guessing this will be for a large residential development. 

There's not a whole lot of developable land on the tract, it straddles a hollow. (Manning's Hollow according to USGS) That's not to say they couldn't build on part of it or otherwise subdivide it.

_ags_07b0d8a839bf4d9e88f67572b8736f75.thumb.jpg.7329fc1f5eada157f08da0ecde7fd0b6.jpg

As an aside the property subdivisions in this portion of the county make zero sense.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I think this is more of a political move on Cooper's sake. he is working with a certain handicap. He wants to improve transit, but the state clearly doesn't want to help and he needs to change the perception of what transit aesthetically looks like. Also by placing a "nice" transit hub in front of the wealthier school, it could change that perception along with the stereotype that the bus is just for "the poor".

Hillsboro High School while being in the the wealthy Green Hills area is not really considered to be a wealthier school. They are spending a lot of money on it though, and hopefully that will change in the years to come.

• Like 2

• dmillsphoto changed the title to Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville
On 7/7/2021 at 4:34 PM, andywildman said:

What would it take for Nashville to turn its HRP 2-for-1 into a "by right" 4-for-1 in residential zones, similar to Minneapolis or Portland?

I think one of the things that would have to happen is dealing with the setbacks- If there were no setback requirements, I think we could get a larger variety of sizes and that brownstone look since there isn't useless square footage between structures. Also, it would be nice to build closer to the road and alley and let the houses have a larger contiguous outdoor space.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Mike G said:

I think one of the things that would have to happen is dealing with the setbacks- If there were no setback requirements, I think we could get a larger variety of sizes and that brownstone look since there isn't useless square footage between structures. Also, it would be nice to build closer to the road and alley and let the houses have a larger contiguous outdoor space.

Setbacks definitely and I think parking would be an issue either of space (if there are high parking requirements per unit) or politics (if there are low parking requirements people will lose their minds at the idea of crowded street parking).

I've always thought my personal preference for house-on-lot orientation would be to have the front of the house as close to the street as possible, have some less street-noise-sensitive rooms at the front, and have as much private backyard space as possible.

Edited by GregH
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, GregH said:

Setbacks definitely and I think parking would be an issue either of space (if there are high parking requirements per unit) or politics (if there are low parking requirements people will lose their minds at the idea of crowded street parking).

I've always thought my personal preference for house-on-lot orientation would be to have the front of the house as close to the street as possible, have some less street-noise-sensitive rooms at the front, and have as much private backyard space as possible.

Setbacks are absolutely key to increasing density. I have no idea how Nashville's rules stack up (20' on local roads) vs other cities.

Greg on your second point, I've noticed that a lot of new subdivisions do exactly what you've described - shrinking front lawns and larger backyards; it's not that different from the way pre-WW2 subdivisions were designed, except without alleys. Gotta say though, I love big front porches for the neighborhood activation - haven't seen much of that in new developments.

The other thing about setbacks is that a lot likely doesn't start at the edge of the pavement. I know for my lot the street ROW goes around18' into what you might think is "my yard" and then the setback is on top of that, I believe. So at least in my case, a setback reduced to 10' would still appear pretty far from the street.

(not my house but a similar example)

image.png.05c3efcff818982a4f8f5dca20b7fb58.png

• Thanks 1

Silo Studios, the recently repurposed 80,000 sq. ft. factory (office and some retail) at 5320 Centennial Blvd. in The Nations has been sold by Flyway to Southeast Venture for $19.1 million. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/building-in-the-nations-sells-for-19-1m/article_27e59946-e0c7-11eb-a59d-937a0a7612d9.html

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 1.45.56 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2019 at 3:21 PM, markhollin said:

JP Morgan Chase & Co. plan to build a new bank structure at 3811 Hillsboro Pike.  Up until recently, the site had been home to SunTrust Bank for decades. GBT Realty has purchased the property last month for $5.1 million, so it would appear they will be involved with the construction and then lease.  No word on size or renderings yet.

This will be the third JP Morgan Chase & Co. local location announced in less than 6 months (Berry Hill and Inglewood are both u.c. right now). 

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/06/26/filings-reveal-next-nashville-neighborhood-on.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

JP MOran Chase Bank, Green Hills, June 26, 2019, site map.png

On 1/13/2020 at 6:29 AM, markhollin said:

The former Sun Trust Bank building at Green Hills Mall (now owned by GBT) is about to come down. Still no announcement on what will go on this lot.

Looking west from Hillsboro Rd., 1/2 block north of Abbott Martin Rd:

GBT Hillsboro Rd, Jan 12, 2020.jpg

I just stumbled upon these two references to the site of the former Sun Trust bank at 3811 Hillsboro Pk.  I've seen no follow-up on this, but for some time now this darling edifice, originally one of the city's Third National Bank branches.  They were build during the post WW-II era (around 1953) as examples of simplified,  rectilinear Egyptian post-moderne Art-Deco, in limestone cladding with a characteristic scalloped cornice below the coping, and with contrasting dark granite plinth.

Instead of being razed, this structure was saved and transformed into a Chase Bank not very long ago.  A similar former Sun Trust (nee-Third National) branch at 1718 West End also was retained to become a Fifth-Third branch.  We lost the Sun Trust near Third Ave. S. at Lindsley (across from "3rd and Lindley" Bar and Grill) a few years ago, to make way for the current 6-story LifeStorage self-storage facility.

o.jpg

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2021 at 4:04 PM, smeagolsfree said:

I'd've paid a full R-T air fare, just to be that fly-on-the-wall to sit incognito across from you on that NYCMTA bus.:D

I bet you looked all "Swoll",  blending in with the natives.  What a sight to behold of someone from Blount Cnty TN on somebody's city bus, period ─  much more on one of theirs! [SMDH]

Last time I rode a NYCMTA bus was in June 1971, from 179th St. in Queens (the Q43 bus), while on my way to my aunt's funeral.  At the time that probably had been the longest one-way subway ride I'd ever taken, NY Penn Station to Queens.

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2019 at 10:56 AM, markhollin said:

GBT continues its aggressive investment into the area by purchasing the approx. 1/2 acre site of former fire station at 2025 Richard Jones Rd. for $4 million.  This is immediately north of the 18 story Vertis Green Hills apartment tower.  No word on their plans just yet.

More behind theNashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21073261/exgreen-hills-fire-station-sells-for-4m

And at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/06/14/old-green-hills-fire-station-sells-developer/1455488001/Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 10.51.56 AM.png

This screen shot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 10.53.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 7.52.21 AM.png

On 4/22/2019 at 3:03 PM, markhollin said:

GBT Realty has won the bid from the city for the former fire station at 2025 Richard Jones Rd (.87 acre) that sits immediately to the north of the 18 story Vertis Green Hills development.  The price is $4 million.

As of May 2018, the firehouse site was appraised at $5.87 million, according to an independent appraiser. The property fetched no bids during its first auction, which happened in February.

One bidder made a $4.2 million offer at a March auction, but that bidder was unable to close on the purchase, says Metro's Finance Department.

The April auction, which Tomlin won with his $4 million offer, attracted what appears to be six or seven bidders, based on Metro records.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/22/brentwood-developer-snags-site-by-green-hills-mall.html?ana=twt

This may already have been posted, IDK

According to Nextdoor Community Web site Greg Hayes:
"GBT is building a 16 story 100+ unit condo development on the site of the old fire station right in Front of VERTIS - those people are going to be looking at a building instead of a view toward downtown Nashville. So it is only going to be one story shorter than Vertis.

It is to be built using existing entitlements within the Green Hills UDO (urban design overlay) and to named "Eden House".  Published in the Nashville Post six months ago, it appears no longer behind the paywall.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mixed-use-tower-planned-for-green-hills/article_218fa9d8-a848-5f78-b925-4723776165b0.html

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rookzie said:

This may already have been posted, IDK

According to Nextdoor Community Web site Greg Hayes:
"GBT is building a 16 story 100+ unit condo development on the site of the old fire station right in Front of VERTIS - those people are going to be looking at a building instead of a view toward downtown Nashville. So it is only going to be one story shorter than Vertis.

It is to be built using existing entitlements within the Green Hills UDO (urban design overlay) and to named "Eden House".  Published in the Nashville Post six months ago, it appears no longer behind the paywall.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mixed-use-tower-planned-for-green-hills/article_218fa9d8-a848-5f78-b925-4723776165b0.html

There is a thread for Eden House.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

There is a thread for Eden House.

Thanks,

Sadly, there's no way to guide viewers to dedicated sites for focused discussion, except for tips as this.  Kind of like looking for the announcements to a train that already has long departed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rookzie said:

I'd've paid a full R-T air fare, just to be that fly-on-the-wall to sit incognito across from you on that NYCMTA bus.:D

I bet you looked all "Swoll",  blending in with the natives.  What a sight to behold of someone from Blount Cnty TN on somebody's city bus, period ─  much more on one of theirs! [SMDH]

Last time I rode a NYCMTA bus was in June 1971, from 179th St. in Queens (the Q43 bus), while on my way to my aunt's funeral.  At the time that probably had been the longest one-way subway ride I'd ever taken, NY Penn Station to Queens.

I was actually laughing at this guy the entire time that looked like uncle Fester with a high squeaky Brooklyn accent having a phone conversation with a person I thought at first was his worst enemy but then sounded like his best and only friend in the world. He was the center of attention on the bus. I just wish I filmed all of his conversation instead of part of it.

• Haha 3