Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

On 11/3/2021 at 11:42 AM, Andrew_3289 said:

This area of West Nashville is known as The Nations. It is named after the Chickasaw Nations of Native Americans that lived here in the eighteenth century and traded with early settlers. The Chickasaw leader Piomingo and his tribe allied with white settlers in 1780.

http://wikimapia.org/8041412/The-Nations#:~:text=This area of West Nashville,with white settlers in 1780.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/pithinthewind/why-is-the-nations-called-the-nations/article_883ac784-76a9-54ec-aec5-cc205aa32ec3.html

A bit of colorful and "florid" way to put it, I reckon.  But then that's what has entertained me about Pith in the Wind for almost 10 years.

"...but it's really hard for me to believe that Nashville would have been such a bag of dicks to one of our founding families as to name the place they were murdered after their murderers.":rolleyes::D

While I recall the "The Nations" as a moniker locale, probably from when I was an early teen around 1964 (wow, 57 years already!), I never really heard of it questioned as urban legend ─ that is, until the "mass migration" of recent set in.  It does seem expected that the multitude of those new to the area would question the origin.  Hopefully though, it will remain "The Nations" and not be allowed to become rebranded into some tacky, prosaic blandness.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, rookzie said:

A bit of colorful and "florid" way to put it, I reckon.  But then that's what has entertained me about Pith in the Wind for almost 10 years.

"...but it's really hard for me to believe that Nashville would have been such a bag of dicks to one of our founding families as to name the place they were murdered after their murderers.":rolleyes::D

While I recall the "The Nations" as a moniker locale, probably from when I was an early teen around 1964 (wow, 57 years already!), I never really heard of it questioned as urban legend ─ that is, until the "mass migration" of recent set in.  It does seem expected that the multitude of those new to the area would question the origin.  Hopefully though, it will remain "The Nations" and not be allowed to become rebranded into some tacky, prosaic blandness.

Auntie Yock voted "Ha ha."

Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee HQ update: Phase One (2 stories, 18,500 sq. ft.) is underway with a rendering now available.  Will be interesting to see what future expansion will be on this 4 acre lot (the same size as Broadwest's footprint).

Community Foundation of Mid Tenn, Nov 5, 2021, render.png

Looking west from Belmont Blvd, just south of Woodmont Blvd:

Community Foundation of Mid Tenn, Nov 5, 2021.jpeg

• Like 2

H.G. Hill Realty has purchased 1/2 acre at 2225-2227 Bandywood Drive for an undisclosed price. It is next to an .8 acre site they already own at 4010 Hillsboro Circle.  5 years ago they had plans for a 90 unit apartment building on that site, so now they may be looking to move forward with a bigger residential project.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/green-hills-building-home-to-neighborhood-bar-sells/article_fef4b15c-3e7c-11ec-848d-b38b37fadcf6.html

This screen shot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the current site highlighted  in teal at the center of the frame.  The new purchase is just to the right (east):

2225 to 2227 Bandywood Drive and 4010 Hillsboro Circle, HG Hill Real Estate, Nov 5, 2021, site map.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, markhollin said:

LIV Development out of Birmingham appears to be moving forward with a mixed-use residential project that may be featuring 315 units on 19.3 acres hugging the Cumberland River at 4000 Dr. Walter S. Davis Blvd.  This would include consolidating a few other parcels owned by York Developments. LIV has those under contract. Water and sewer capacity permits have been filed.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/project-eyed-for-area-between-the-nations-tsu-progressing/article_a14a1d88-3ffa-11ec-9694-4b803ecad342.html

Here is a rendering from a few years ago---but things may have changed since then:

LIV-Anthem, Nov 8, 2021, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

LIV-Anthem, Nov 8, 2021, site map.png

Hope this one doesn’t lose the plank into the Cumberland.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, markhollin said:

H.G. Hill Realty has purchased 1/2 acre at 2225-2227 Bandywood Drive for an undisclosed price. It is next to an .8 acre site they already own at 4010 Hillsboro Circle.  5 years ago they had plans for a 90 unit apartment building on that site, so now they may be looking to move forward with a bigger residential project.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/green-hills-building-home-to-neighborhood-bar-sells/article_fef4b15c-3e7c-11ec-848d-b38b37fadcf6.html

I am glad I kept this one on the map. Some of these old proposals seems to be like zombies and coming back to life however they may not look like they were before.

Look for another Hill property to have some news soon.

5 minutes ago, markhollin said:

LIV Development out of Birmingham appears to be moving forward with a mixed-use residential project that may be featuring 315 units on 19.3 acres hugging the Cumberland River at 4000 Dr. Walter S. Davis Blvd.  This would include consolidating a few other parcels owned by York Developments. LIV has those under contract. Water and sewer capacity permits have been filed.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/project-eyed-for-area-between-the-nations-tsu-progressing/article_a14a1d88-3ffa-11ec-9694-4b803ecad342.html

Here is a rendering from a few years ago---but things may have changed since then:

LIV-Anthem, Nov 8, 2021, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

LIV-Anthem, Nov 8, 2021, site map.png

I can say the rendering has changed because the current plan is calling for 13 buildings 4 to 5 stories tall. It will be more of a garden style community with some mixed use buildings thrown in there.

• Like 3

336 Ewing Drive is the location of a proposed multi-family residential complex that will feature seven 2, 3, & 4 story structures of apartments and townhomes. It is being put together by LDG Development; Studio A is the architect;  Catalyst is handling civil engineering.

More here:

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2021SP-043-001_plan.pdf
336 Ewing Dr Apts, Nov 10, 2021, render.png

336 Ewing Dr Apts, Nov 10, 2021, diagram.png

336 Ewing Dr Apts, Nov 10, 2021, site map.png

• Like 4