Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

Novel Lion's Head (5 & 7 stories, 285 units, internal garage on 3.5 acres) has been placed on indefinite hold by developer Crescent Communities.

In a letter recently sent to the Metro Planning Commission, Crescent stressed what it feels is misguided citizen pushback related to making the suburban area — recognized, in part, for surface parking lots, a Trader Joe's grocery store and a Target — more pedestrian friendly and less vehicle intense.

“We worked doggedly to improve the plan for Novel Lions Head, which benefited greatly from extensive communication and input from the community,” the letter reads, citing four meetings with neighbors, nearby businesses and greenway advocates. “However, a common sentiment we encountered as part of our ongoing community conversations is a general resistance to [quality] growth and development in the area.”

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/developer-indefinitely-shelves-project-for-white-bridge-road/article_8209f02c-5de8-11ec-bbf2-b7bc3af89f9e.html

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 7.02.13 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

5 hours ago, samsonh said:

This NIMBY behavior creates expensive housing. This development would have created housing, improved the visuals of the area, and most importantly put housing in an area where residents wouldn’t have to drive for every little thing(plus close to mass transit). Very short sighted by those residents.

The empty cans rattle the most. I'm sure a majority of residents didn't mind, it was just a vocal minority.

On 10/31/2021 at 2:58 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Here is an interesting item that popped up on Development Tracker Saturday morning.

This is a request to amend the West Nashville Community Plan from District Industrial Policy to T4 Mixed Use! Trust me I think I know a lot more behind the scenes here on what could be behind some of this, but the Nations is about to change for the better it appears.

Take a look at the scanned plan for the area involved and the application for the properties. Very eye opening!!!!!

Sorry guys everything is on the application……….

Application Submittal 10/27/2021
MPC Agenda Date 12/9/2021
Administrative Approval  
Case # 2021CP-007-004
Ordinance #  
Previous Ordinance #'s  
Associated Case #  
Associated Bond #  
Reviewer FRONT COUNTER
Application Name  
Application Type Community Plan Amendment
Application Scope A request to amend the West Nashville Community Plan by changing from District Industrial Policy to T4 Urban Mixed Use Neighborhood Policy for various properties located along the Cumberland River from 61st Avenue North, northwestward to Briley Parkway, zoned IR and IG and partially located within the 6404 & 6410 Centennial Boulevard Neighborhood Landmark District Overlay (274.12 acres), requested by Fulmer Lucas Engineering, applicant; Various Owners (see associated case 2021Z-115PR-001).
Scanned Application View Scanned Application
Scanned Plans View Scanned Plan
Property Address / Location 0 CENTENNIAL BLVD 37209
Applicant Fulmer Lucas Engineering Jay Fulmer 615-345-3771 [email protected]
Property Owner  
Councilmember 01 (Jonathan Hall); 20 (Mary Carolyn Roberts)

Do you have any info on the meeting date/time/location for this? I'm around the area and would like to go. Thanks!

Nevermind, it was two days ago, dang

Edited by ThunderOne

On 12/16/2021 at 7:36 AM, samsonh said:

This NIMBY behavior creates expensive housing. This development would have created housing, improved the visuals of the area, and most importantly put housing in an area where residents wouldn’t have to drive for every little thing(plus close to mass transit). Very short sighted by those residents.

Agreed. If I lived right next to Target, Trader Joe's, and two places to get sushi, with a major bus route less than 1/4 mile away, I would hardly have any need for a car. I wasn't at the meeting, but I wouldn't be surprised if the image in people's minds is how bad the traffic jams are at rush hour due to the nearby intersection of White Bridge and Harding/West End (which I blame on the intersection design and intentional impermeability of the surrounding areas, forcing everyone to drive on Harding to get to points southwest). I also wonder if the small section of this apartment complex that was 7 stories tall crossed some mental boundary of height for people, and that this might have fared better as a uniformly 4-5 story structure.

• Like 3

I think if this was condos instead of apartments it could have fared better. Fairly or not apartments have more bad connotations than condos. There are a lot of retired folks living nearby and they are not keen on a bunch of 20 somethings coming and going at all hours. Condos would be a real draw for folks living nearby wanting to downsize but still be in the area (as in the adjacent Lion's Head Condos).

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

The Davidson County Juvenile Justice complex will relocate to the 13 acre site at 1354 Brick Church Pike that has been home to the Al Menah Shrine Temple since 1977. Metro Government paid $9 million the tract and will invest another $21 million to build a new center there, which will be relocated from thee current 100 Woodland St. address just NE of Nissan Stadium. 

A developer had been wanting to build a 340 unit residential complex on the Shrine site, but that deal fell through, allowing the city to move forward with the relocation plan.  No rendering available yet.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/metro-buys-al-menah-shrine-temple-site-for-9m/article_054635c4-5f72-11ec-809d-33a10b3db473.html

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Junvenile Justice Center, Dec 17, 2021, site map.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Davidson County Juvenile Justice complex will relocate to the 13 acre site at 1354 Brick Church Pike that has been home to the Al Menah Shrine Temple since 1977. Metro Government paid $9 million the tract and will invest another $21 million to build a new center there, which will be relocated from thee current 100 Woodland St. address just NE of Nissan Stadium. 

A developer had been wanting to build a 340 unit residential complex on the Shrine site, but that deal fell through, allowing the city to move forward with the relocation plan.  No rendering available yet.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/metro-buys-al-menah-shrine-temple-site-for-9m/article_054635c4-5f72-11ec-809d-33a10b3db473.html

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Why build a new one?  They certainly don't use the one they have...

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 2:57 PM, markhollin said:

I can't quite formulate the complete thought as to why, but this location just seems odd to me.

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

Madison Trinity will be a residential complex of unknown hight and number of units on 4.85 acres at 325 West Trinity Lane.  Madison Capital Group just bought the site for $8.1 million.  No word on architect,  timeline, or renderings yet.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/charlotte-developer-pays-8-1m-for-north-davidson-site/article_4730a87a-6fe9-11ec-9e34-5f345a6aa389.html

This screen shot from Smeagolfree's excellent development maps shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Madison Trinity, Jan 7, 2021, site map.png

Two thoughts:

hilariously confusing name - I’m like “Trinity isn’t in Madison!?”

I can’t wrap my mind around how much west Trinity is going to change in the next 5 years. 

• Like 4