Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

Thanks for the email, first off NashvilleChick and a big welcome to the forum. The map has been a lot of work. I know the Charlotte Park area and I think it has a lot of potential. I am curious as to why it has not taken off like other areas of town.

Maybe some of you other guys can give your thoughts on what could happen in the CP area. I think it may be a matter of time, but time is what it will take.

The Charlotte Park area however has one drawback and that is that it is so isolated and cut off from the rest of the area. I would also contact your Council Person and see what Metro can do to enhance the area with more sidewalks, park improvements and also if there are any neighborhood overlays in the area. I have been wanting to try Blue Moon at the marina too.

I do know the Planet Fitness did a great job of reinventing the old McKays location. I tend to think there needs to be a street scape all along Charlotte to Nashville West from 440 to encourage more pedestrian and bike traffic. I think there are plans for a few developments along Charlotte Pike across from Nashville West as well as more development on the Nashville West side of the street.

Time for you guys to chime in. I know nashviet has his hands full right now, but is a leader in Sylvan Park.

Thanks for the welcome and reply!  The Blue Moon is a fun place during the summer.  I love to catch Annie Sellick when she plays there, and it's also a great lunch spot to kayak to from my dock.  The food is average and a little overpriced, but I go for the atmosphere.  And drinks :-)  

I absolutely agree that Charlotte needs to be cleaned up and made more attractive to walkers and bikers.  Work is planned for the Nashville West area, and Planet Fitness was a good addition, but the area between the two is what borders my neighborhood, and the only thing going on there is additional paycheck and title loan businesses, which really cheapen the feel of the area.     

I moved here from Hillsboro Village where we had a great council-woman, but district 20 has Buddy Baker, who hasn't been responsive to any of my emails or calls and is not popular with the neighbors.  He did relent at the last minute and vote in favor of backyard hens---but only after getting his Sunday beer bill passed.  The man has priorities...  I've worked with UCAN on the hen bill, and also with Hillsboro Village when they downzoned to keep additional duplexes out, but again, there were responsive council people involved with both issues.  Drive down Ashwood (between Natchez and 21st) in the Village and you'll see what happened when the historical conservation overlay wasn't extended past Blair until this year.  Builders came in and did their thing, destroying the charm of the street---which is one of the reasons that I moved.  9 new $800k to over a million dollar houses totally changed the personality of the street I moved to 15 years ago.   What kind of overlays did you have in mind when you mentioned them?  

Robertson Road is also in need of some cleaning up.  It's got sidewalks and a handful of well cared for homes, but it's not a street that feels safe at night or is attractive to drive down.  Given its great proximity to Briley and I40, and even White Bridge Rd, it's a very convenient area to get around the city from, so I'm surprised that nothing has happened with it.  The main drawback is lots of truck traffic from Reostone Quarry, but that's less intrusive than living along train tracks.      

Charlotte Park is starting to pick up.  When I was growing up over in the Nations, Charlotte Park was the much better area but now the roles have kind of reversed.  I've noticed prices ticking up in CP over the last year or so.  Maybe your house is worth more than you think and you wont have to take any losses.  I love the houses overlooking the river, they seem to sell pretty well.  I've had a couple clients interested in buying on the river over the past couple of years.

I've had a realtor look at my house, and based on his estimate, I wouldn't lose money---until I paid the 6% fee.  I actually love the house, but have found that the back slope to the river is more difficult and expensive to keep up than I'd anticipated.  I'm strong, but I'm still only one woman.  You're right that the river houses are awesome.  You don't feel like they're in Charlotte Park when you're out back looking over the river and rolling hills of Bells Bend, which the sun sets over.  It's truly beautiful, and with one major exception (which happens to be next door), the homeowners along the water take good care of their properties.  I've had a realtor "stalking" me recently, trying to talk me into selling my house to a client of hers.  My gut tells me to wait until prices come up a bit more, as I'm at a point in life where I can't afford any avoidable financial losses.  A house down the street is about to go on the market and I think the initial asking price will be $385k.  It has a full apartment/guest suite in the walk out basement and, believe it or not, a sound-proof pistol range in the ground under the driveway.  If it was in another part of town, it would sell for at least 1/2 million.  It's zoned single family, but the downstairs could be rented out for income.  And no, I'm not her realtor--or a realtor at all.    

Edited by Nashvillechick

Glad to see the car wash go - it was the worst.    What's going in the car wash space?    Looked like they were grading for a surface lot when I was by there last weekend.      

It is just going to be a surface lot and that is all right now, primarily to handle the parking for Noshville and Orvis, since the new bank took their other lot

Edited by leggy77

It is just going to be a surface lot and that is all right now, primarily to handle the parking for Noshville and Orvis, since the new bank took their other lot

Ok thanks. Rather see something other than parking.

When I say the car wash was the worst, I mean as a car wash, it sucked. I would have been ok with a decent coin wash there as I used it, or tried to use it, a lot over the years. Finally gave up. Wash stalls were usually broken or operating half ass. I guess I should feel good that I put somebody's kid through college with all my wasted and lost quarters.

• 2 weeks later...

I was pleased to see, today, the dilapidated 'Horizon' building (on the hill next to Target at Nashville West) has been demolished.

Does anyone know what, if anything, might be replacing it?

...and while we're on the subject, does anyone know what is moving into the lot in front of Nashville West (where the old police precinct used to be)? 

I was pleased to see, today, the dilapidated 'Horizon' building (on the hill next to Target at Nashville West) has been demolished.

...and while we're on the subject, does anyone know what is moving into the lot in front of Nashville West (where the old police precinct used to be)?

I am not completely sure, but the sign in front indicates it is part of the Nashville West project. At one time, there was a proposal for a residential element there or close to that location. I will try and research and see if I can find out the details. It's been a while since I saw anything on the Metro site.

Notice that building was demolished last week as well. It looked like it had been pretty heavily vandalized prior to demolition. 

I'm not sure what's going on near the old precinct either, but I'm definitely curious about what will be added to Nashville West. I'm crosses my fingers for something other than the typical lifestyle center store, but not get my hopes up. 

http://www.hghill.com/properties/charlotteAve/6734CharlottePike.aspx

From the Business Journal: "H.G. Hill has torn down a former police station and now is doing $1 million of infrastructure upgrades. Plans call for 40,000 square feet of offices to be built, in the form of four equally sized buildings, ideally with one tenant per building..."

Edited by gannman
  • Like 1

In yesterday's permit report, it looks like the Grove has a new project going on at 44th ave. N in the Nations. Do we know about this already? This is presumably related to the Grove on Whitworth? 

This is unrelated.  Its 4 single family homes built by Curtis Groves, a West Nashville Realtor and investor.

At last night's Council hearing, there was a large contingent of developers/real estate developers who opposed the bill that would create the Contextual Overlay category.  I and one other person spoke in favor of creating a category that CMs can use for areas where neighbors are seeking some level of consistency in development scale (this category does not address style/materials and is relational to context for height and footprint considerations).  I pointed out that this Overlay will not be applied county-wide but could be applied in areas where constituents support that strongly enough to to request that their CM bring the rezoning through two public hearings, which is no easy task.  And it could easily be left off of areas where it is not appropriate or does not have property owner suport.

Approximately one dozen developers and real estate developers spoke against the creation of this bill citing concern for property values.  One of the real estate investors stated that it was the investors who kept renovations going during the housing downturn (notably, almost all of that renovation during the downturn happened in the Conservation Zoning Overlay areas, which were the about the only areas that retained their values) and stated that they are now helping out West Nashville with growth in Sylvan Park, Sylvan Heights, and the Nations, which she stated her group is working to re-brand as Historic West Nashville.

Of course this "growth" in Sylvan Park is leading to another Conservation Zoning Overlay expansion effort for that area, which passed on first reading last night.  And also of course a lot of the better-quality growth in The Nations is happening through SPs applied to redeveloping industrial sites.  One Overlay opponent in Sylvan Park berated CM Walter Hunt, who is chair of the Planning and Zoning Committee, for having a 2,000 SF house with a garage and stated that he wanted to be able to do the same.  The difference is that CM Walter Hunt lives in a more rural/suburban area, whereas Sylvan Park/Sylvan Heights/The Nations are more urban locations and it is reasonable to expect that they would have more urban forms of development.

I would look for a rather big fight over infill development issues in these near-West neighborhoods in the coming months. 

• Like 1

Here is the MHZC docket for the Commission's consideration of the Sylvan Park Conservation Zoning Overlay at next Wednesday's public hearing  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/06%20June%2018/SR%20Sylvan%20Park%202014.pdf.  This topic has been pretty controversial in Sylvan Park in the past, and so the compromise last time was to include only properties on Park and Elkins near Richlard Park.  Hence the district's name, Park & Elkins. 

This topic seems to remain controversial in Sylvan Park.  My understanding is that the design guidelines for this particular district will allow the addition of front dormers to contributing ("historic") structures, which is not permitted in other Historic Preservation or Conservation Zoning Overlay districts.   

If this expansion does pass all three hearings and become effective later this summer (it would include the area between 42nd and 51st from Charlotte to just north of Murphy Rd), this district will be renamed to reflect the neighborhood's broader name (Sylvan Park). 

Of all four historic district applications that are presently in the application phase, this is the one to watch.

Very, very busy.  But that rather open location is an appropriate context for a building with a whole lot going on.  I really like the wavy red ribbon thing at the far right of that image and at the top under the "aspire" signage.  The curves help to soften the sharp angles. It is also good to have a pop of color here and there, and I like the red.  (Then again, I like the red in Ghost Ballet for the East Bank Machineworks.) 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1