Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

I can almost envision a White Bridge overpass over Harding in the existing space that allows three-phase operation of the intersection but I don't know how much that would really help given the stroad-y nature of that area. The stoplights at Kenner and the Kroger on Harding are limiters to traffic flow as well. There's just a bunch of stuff around there that people want to turn into and out of, it's always going to be a mess.

I'm still trying to understand how this design helps anything, but I appreciate @AsianintheNations explanation with the image of the underpass. That helps, and makes me wonder if a boulevard with medians between "right turn lanes" and through lanes would serve a similar purpose. They are common in Philadelphia and DC, among other cities. I'd think they could be put into many of the 'stroads' that are just glorified highways. I think they'd also help pedestrian crossings too. I was in Vienna a few years back, and most of the main thoroughfares are designed that way (with streetcars too), and we never had issues crossing them. 

• Like 1

NashvilleNowNext has some more info on Riverside at MetroCenter (see Dec. 7th post on page 181 of this thread).  Four stories, 590 units,  927 parking spaces (some in garages) to be built in 2 phases.

https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/12/14/developer-proposes-590-units-next-to-ted-rhodes-golf-course-in-north-nashville/

Riverside at MetroCenter, Dec 14, 2022, render 1.png

Riverside at MetroCenter, Dec 14, 2022, render 2.png

Riverside at MetroCenter, Dec 14, 2022, site map .png

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

Agree. It is already appalling that the slip lane from West End WB onto White Bridge NB has a sign instructors drivers NOT to stop, right before the crosswalk. I know the intention of the sign, but they could've just used the standard "lane continues without merging" sign that is used on highways instead.

I think underpasses are less intrusive than overpasses, if something like that really has to be built. Comm Ave under Mass Ave and Huntington Ave under Mass Ave in Boston come to mind. Despite being huge intersections, they're relatively pleasant to cross as pedestrians (fewer lanes to cross at a time and in total).

image.thumb.png.787f2ec6920ee82f19b0ecde383db951.png

I love these in DC.  Wish they had more of them.   They really do make foot traffic easier to manage in areas where the density of pedestrians is high.  I can't imagine Dupont Circle not having Connecticut Avenue go under the circle or K Street going under the George Washington Circle.  Now these circles take up a lot of space and are technically parks as well.  I'm not sure if Nashville has sufficiently wide enough corridors to do this so that there are still lanes off of the pass through street that lead up to an intersection as you can see in the Boston example provided by AsianintheNations.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I love these in DC.  Wish they had more of them.   They really do make foot traffic easier to manage in areas where the density of pedestrians is high.  I can't imagine Dupont Circle not having Connecticut Avenue go under the circle or K Street going under the George Washington Circle.  Now these circles take up a lot of space and are technically parks as well.  I'm not sure if Nashville has sufficiently wide enough corridors to do this so that there are still lanes off of the pass through street that lead up to an intersection as you can see in the Boston example provided by AsianintheNations.

Yeah, it's really a win-win ... cars going straight don't have to deal with slow intersections or having to look out for pedestrians, and pedestrians have less car volume to deal with crossing the intersection.

Also, as a pedestrian, I find it more pleasant to be walking on level ground over the car bypasses, rather than under a car overpass. Going under I-40 to get out of the Nations as a pedestrian is kind of unpleasant.

Charlotte + White Bridge would have sufficient space to execute something like this if there were a will, but probably not Harding + White Bridge/Woodmont. But the former's surrounding area is just so hostile to pedestrians anyway that I'm not sure any redesign of the intersection would have that much of an effect on pedestrian use/safety, though it could help with streamlining rush hour car traffic.

Edited by AsianintheNations

22 hours ago, markhollin said:

NashvilleNowNext has some more info on Riverside at MetroCenter (see Dec. 7th post on page 181 of this thread).  Four stories, 590 units,  927 parking spaces (some in garages) to be built in 2 phases.

https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/12/14/developer-proposes-590-units-next-to-ted-rhodes-golf-course-in-north-nashville/

Riverside at MetroCenter, Dec 14, 2022, render 1.png

Riverside at MetroCenter, Dec 14, 2022, render 2.png

Riverside at MetroCenter, Dec 14, 2022, site map .png

I walk and ride along that stretch weekly. It’s depressing to hear that rare urban woodland will be destroyed to make way for this when there are still so many empty lots and warehouses further down the greenway.

• Sad 1

On 12/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, andywildman said:

Grew up in Huntsville. There's no world in which pedestrians ever want to cross under Memorial Parkway. It's as hard a barrier as you can build to non-automotive mobility.

It's a great throughput mechanism, and funnels a lot of cars very efficiently . It's a terrible corridor to run through any neighborhood that wants more pedestrians, cyclists, connectivity. Works well for big box stores, strip malls, and car dealerships though.

Yeah so did I, I don't think Huntsville is trying to be a walkable city. But I do feel a lot safer walking around neighborhoods there than I do in any residential areas around here. I think Nashville needs to decide which way it's going. Either walkable or drivable. Because right now it sucks at both. Equally. 

On 12/13/2022 at 11:32 AM, AsianintheNations said:

Agree. It is already appalling that the slip lane from West End WB onto White Bridge NB has a sign instructors drivers NOT to stop, right before the crosswalk. I know the intention of the sign, but they could've just used the standard "lane continues without merging" sign that is used on highways instead.

I think underpasses are less intrusive than overpasses, if something like that really has to be built. Comm Ave under Mass Ave and Huntington Ave under Mass Ave in Boston come to mind. Despite being huge intersections, they're relatively pleasant to cross as pedestrians (fewer lanes to cross at a time and in total).

image.thumb.png.787f2ec6920ee82f19b0ecde383db951.png

They both accomplish the same thing. One just looks different. Not sure underpasses are as economically viable what with the bedrock being 2 ft under the soil and blasting being required, but I'll welcome either solution, over or underpass. 

Edited by ThunderOne
  • Like 1

MDHA and Elmington Capital Group are partnering on a six building/251 unit residential complex on 23.5 acres at 8121 McCrory Lane.  SV Design is the architect.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/metro-led-affordable-housing-project-progresses/article_402cbb4e-7cb9-11ed-9be0-b3c6902a2ea7.html

Poplar Ridge, Dec 16, 2022, diagram.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in red at the center of the frame.

Poplar Ridge, Dec 16, 2022, site map.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/16/2022 at 8:09 AM, markhollin said:

MDHA and Elmington Capital Group are partnering on a six building/251 unit residential complex on 23.5 acres at 8121 McCrory Lane.  SV Design is the architect.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/metro-led-affordable-housing-project-progresses/article_402cbb4e-7cb9-11ed-9be0-b3c6902a2ea7.html

Poplar Ridge, Dec 16, 2022, diagram.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in red at the center of the frame.

Poplar Ridge, Dec 16, 2022, site map.png

Speaking of terrible road design, I absolutely LOVE the fact that I have a whopping 20 meters of on-ramp space before I have to merge onto I-40 Eastbound at this exit.  I'm sure that will be tons of fun for the new apartment residents going to work in the mornings. 🤪

Edited by ThunderOne

On 12/22/2022 at 10:29 AM, ThunderOne said:

Speaking of terrible road design, I absolutely LOVE the fact that I have a whopping 20 meters of on-ramp space before I have to merge onto I-40 Eastbound at this exit.  I'm sure that will be tons of fun for the new apartment residents going to work in the mornings. 🤪

We actually did an analysis on the length of this ramp several years ago as part of a study on ramp metering and in theory sitting still from the start of the ramp you should be able to accelerate to highway speeds with 30 feet to spare. I agree that it's short, though it's fun to floor it and go Dukes of Hazzard off the hill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

How tall can buildings be along that stretch of Woodmont?  I'd expect nothing more than 4-5 stories, and a slim chance of a variance to go much higher. 

If that tall. This is right smack dab in the middle of the residential area and in Russ Pully's district and I doubt the people will want anything large. This company does a lot of high-rise projects, but that will not happen at this site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

Duke II (5 stories, 192 units, internal garage) update: up to 2nd level across site; elevator shafts/stairwells rising.

Looking NE fromGreat Circle Rd., 1/4 block west of Cumberland Bend:

Duke II, Dec 31, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking NW from Great Circle Rd. at Cumberland Bend:

Duke II, Dec 31, 2022, 2.jpeg

Nice shot of Alta Riverwalk in the distance (building #2)

• Like 3

Grand Oaks at Great Circle (5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 stories, 467 units) update: Phase I nearing completion; entrance into complex now open.

Looking north from Great Circle Road, 1/4 block east of Athens Way:

Grand Oaks at Great Circle, Dec 31, 2022, 1.jpeg

A couple angles from within the complex:

Grand Oaks at Great Circle, Dec 31, 2022, 2.jpeg

Grand Oaks at Great Circle, Dec 31, 2022, 3.jpeg

Looking north from Great Circle Rd., 1/8 block east of Athens Way:

Grand Oaks at Great Circle, Dec 31, 2022, 4.jpeg

Looking east from Athens Way, 1/2 block north of Great Circle Rd:

Grand Oaks at Great Circle, Dec 31, 2022, 5.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dunkijo said:

Any word of what is going in at 5697 Centennial Blvd in The Nations? I saw they recently started demo there. I will try to grab a photo.

there was a post here when it sold over the summer but I don't think anything else has been announced since then

• Thanks 2