Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

Neat little list and map for those in Bellevue.

Anyone here is welcome to keep a list of projects in Bellevue. I just don't have the initiative to do another map or update there, but it is needed.

The same would go for E Nashville and other areas of Davidson.

I counted 7 developments that appear to be more of the same old wildland/farmland destroying, soulless, cookie cutter subdivision type "communities."

If I ever move in to one of those, I want one of you to come knock on my door and slap me.

• Like 3

I counted 7 developments that appear to be more of the same old wildland/farmland destroying, soulless, cookie cutter subdivision type "communities."

If I ever move in to one of those, I want one of you to come knock on my door and slap me.

Title of the article says it all "Why are developers still building sprawl?" My takeaway is they're still building sprawling big lot, single family developments where the market is still demanding them, which is the case in a lot of places (including here). Nothing more than market forces at work. If the demand ever goes away, developers will stop building them. The better question is, do you think the demand will ever subside and what will bring about that change?

http://www.nationaljournal.com/next-economy/america-360/why-are-developers-still-building-sprawl-20150225

The thing with much of our sprawl in the Nashville area is that it's incredibly lazily developed sprawl.  I understand why having a single family home with a decent sized back yard in a quiet community appeals to some people.  That does not, however, have to come in the form of monotonous sub-divisions with the trees clear cut, no sidewalks included, and lots that are far larger than really necessary. 

• Like 1

Title of the article says it all "Why are developers still building sprawl?" My takeaway is they're still building sprawling big lot, single family developments where the market is still demanding them, which is the case in a lot of places (including here). Nothing more than market forces at work. If the demand ever goes away, developers will stop building them. The better question is, do you think the demand will ever subside and what will bring about that change?

http://www.nationaljournal.com/next-economy/america-360/why-are-developers-still-building-sprawl-20150225

Would there be that much demand if they had to pay the true price rather than having it subsidized?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if any of you have been on the site nextdoor.com, but we just moved to The Nations and joined the site and this is happening. 

https://thenations.nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=9867418

From the post: 

"During last nights meeting developer Mike Kenner announced that he is buying property on the corner of 51st and Illinois Avenue (Anderson Windows and Patio Doors location) and intends to build a mixed use property that will involve 2000 sq. ft. of retail space and 20 – 22 residential units that are about 600 sq. ft. each and will be listed for $150,000 - $175,000. Surface parking only. Example sited was Burger up building in 12 South. He has provided the site rendering and residents are strong encouraged to provide feedback, in addition to get creative and post architectural designs you wish to see. (see bottom attachment .pdf file for larger image)"

Said pdf here

Until now, I hadn't even realized that a Calypso was at that hill,   I have seen where new asymmetrically geometric homes have "invaded" from Nevada Heights.  That's the same primary hill on which the 38th Ave Pump Station and reservoir is located (the West view side).  It's about time things have started to utilize my former "late-night smoke hill" (back in the mid-1970s), where I used to go up and hang unnoticed and peer at both Green Hills and downtown. (I even was stupid enough one night back then to climb that Channel 17 tower up there, when one could get away with it).

Great to see that hill becoming transformed....

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Don't think this 3D image of the Hill Center Sylvan Heights on Charlotte was posted, courtesy of Tennessean, with link to article... 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/03/26/hill-center-sylvan-heights-mixed-use-project-nashville-charlotte-avenue/70513590/

Groundbreaking ceremony was held yesterday (Thursday 3/26)

B9316748238Z.1_20150326190518_000_G56AB6

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

I first had a problem "placing" the location.  Now I see that it's on the same E-W parallel with those ugly Quonset Huts and that giant cyclone dust separator of Madison Mill, on the west side of that track (the CSX Cockrill Bend industrial lead).

I have nothing to suspect that Madison Mill will going south in the foreseeable, but I'm sure developers have made offers for that site, which does look strange in this day and age, even for Sylvan Heights.  RR switchers go by there usually only twice a day, at around 4:45 pm and return late night.  Movements are slow (because of the yard limit speed), but I do foresee some resident newcomers whining about the engine rumble and track noise, past Hill Center (on the late night return), since some of that track is still jointed rail (rather than continuous welded).

As an "a side", that track also is a long-term alternate candidate for commuter-rail connecting Clarksville to DT Nashville (with a new river bridge), even though it's not likely to happen.  Since oneCity has taken away the chance for an NWRR (old TC beltline) connection to CSX, this track behind Hill Center would be the only possibility, other than at the 13th Ave interchange off Herman.  Seems that the Center is going to extend a good ways from the fronting at Charlotte, since the article shows a partial plan view to include Elkins Ave.  That swath of land can really stand a good re-use, you know.

-==-

Don't think this 3D image of the Hill Center Sylvan Heights on Charlotte was posted, courtesy of Tennessean, with link to article... 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/03/26/hill-center-sylvan-heights-mixed-use-project-nashville-charlotte-avenue/70513590/

Groundbreaking ceremony was held yesterday (Thursday 3/26)

B9316748238Z.1_20150326190518_000_G56AB6

Crazy there were two stories on this as it has been under construction for several months and is already coming out of the ground.

Also permit was issued for 46th and

Charlotte project.  There have been workers on site for a couple of months doing utility work.

Permit also pulled for Fire Station # 19. Forgive me if already posted.

Since 2011-2012, that set of buildings on Richard Jones Rd (Greenbriar Village) as a whole has become transformed into some decent retail, from otherwise bland office space from the '70s.  It's already been hopping for a while on that stretch, which used to be rather dark and uninviting.

As popular as GH Grille had been with many of us, if the revival can maintain the level of service that once graced it erstwhile, then it should do wonders for that complex.

-==-

• Like 2