Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

Really, it' just serves as a gauge of localized sentiment among those who choose to air openly in easy dialog.  I seriously doubt is reflects even close to a polling of the overwhelming majority.  Don't know about the last dude cited, but it appears that these are yunguns who grew up in a time, when the mall was either still half-way jumping or at least still remained a typical "recreation center" hangout for hoppers.  They'd be just as "tearful" in Concord, Ca., in Ellicott City, Md., or in Oaklawn, IL, under similar a similar sketch, and I find it hard to give weight to the blog as a cross-section at large of personal disposition about that mall property, even within a select 'burban district as Bellevue itself.  I know that I'm (at least) half-way old, and it's not hard for me to recall when Bellevue Mall was not even a concept, especially with it being the newest decent-sized enclosed mall in the county, so it's not that old as far as regional malls are concerned.
-==-

I've only been here 8 years, but I can image that the mall in its prime was just about the only community gathering spot in Bellevue, so I can understand why some have a sentimental attachment. On a side note, it's interesting that these developers decided to demolish the Bellevue Mall (built in the '90s), while the folks who bought the Hickory Hollow Mall (an older structure) decided it was worth "saving." It's an interesting contrast in strategy.

How long did Bellevue Mall even operate as a viable mall ? It seems like it didn't even last a full 5 years or so. I went there a few times in the early '90s, but it seemed like it went downhill shortly thereafter. At least Hickory Hollow Mall (built in 1978) lasted a quarter-century before it completely nosedived.

I've only been here 8 years, but I can image that the mall in its prime was just about the only community gathering spot in Bellevue, so I can understand why some have a sentimental attachment.

It really wasn't, with the exception of the playground, or the few years the Bellevue Picnic was hosted on-site. The mall actually picked up a fair amount of regional traffic, especially before Cool Springs and Green Hills really took off. Once you got inside, you might see someone you know a little more often, but it was just as detached and generic as any other shopping center.

As noted by others, I think the sentiment is voiced primarily by the twenty- and thirty-somethings who were either store employees or mall rats in its heyday. Most of it appears to be tongue-in-cheek, in any case. I spent a lot of time in that mall and I wouldn't want to keep it around for anything but a Blues Brothers filmset.

On a side note, it's interesting that these developers decided to demolish the Bellevue Mall (built in the '90s), while the folks who bought the Hickory Hollow Mall (an older structure) decided it was worth "saving." It's an interesting contrast in strategy.

Hickory Hollow received a lot of assistance from the NSCC satellite campus, a library branch, and the Ford Ice Center. A few years ago, Crosland Southeast intended to redevelop the existing building at about the same time that Metro tossed around the idea of siting a library branch and/or a reopened Bellevue High School in or around it. Those schemes obviously never came to fruition, but it's not a stretch to think seeing the latter through would have helped along the former considerably.

More on the Charlotte Ave. re-vamping. 

http://www.scribd.com/doc/274229731/Charlotte-Avenue-project

I'm glad to see this is happening. Charlotte Ave. should be and can be one of the main roads connecting west Nashville to downtown. 

Any idea what the red asterisks represent?  The legend doesn't address that.  

Any idea what the red asterisks represent?  The legend doesn't address that.  

I'm really not sure what the asterisks represent but i would guess potential bus stops or something along those lines....

somd fruit for thought, here is a a map of current bus stops on Charlotte and they are pretty close to the asterisks. 

http://www.nashvillemta.org/maps/route10.pdf 

I had a good conversation with Michael Keener about the meeting. The groups took different segments of Charlotte and studied them. Even walking and driving the sections which is hugely important. A couple of important takes a ways were this:

Putting Charlotte Ave on a road diet. Essentially, reducing the travel to one lane each direction with a turn lane and adding bike lanes.

The other major item I took away was the fact that urban style stores no matter what company did better than their suburban counterpart, IE. Big Lots. The main reason is that people only have one mode of transportation to the suburban stores and the urban model has several modes. The parking would be in the rear and not be car-centric in fashion.

• Like 3

Is that a skywalk from the new garage to the Dillard's (second floor??) entrance?  That whole site makes me wonder if they're about to make a huge announcement about another anchor. The have been coy about the stores in the new section of the mall... and that stretch along Abbott Martin would be prime.  

Skywalks are built into new parking deck and will connect into the new Dillards store under construction. I believe the plan is to tear down old Dillards store when new one is ready in late 2016 and replace it with a major new addition linking to the mall.  Rumors are that Neiman Marcus will open a store in the new section. In any case, the high end retail offerings Mall at Green Hills will be enhanced.  Separately if the proposed development of the site now occupied by a Japanese restaurant happens the area will really become far more dense.  It's ironic that the Mall at GH's continued expansions has not attract the same type of neighborhood scrutiny and lawsuits as Southern Land Co had with its Green Hills project.

• Like 3

Skywalks are built into new parking deck and will connect into the new Dillards store under construction. I believe the plan is to tear down old Dillards store when new one is ready in late 2016 and replace it with a major new addition linking to the mall.  Rumors are that Neiman Marcus will open a store in the new section. In any case, the high end retail offerings Mall at Green Hills will be enhanced.  Separately if the proposed development of the site now occupied by a Japanese restaurant happens the area will really become far more dense.  It's ironic that the Mall at GH's continued expansions has not attract the same type of neighborhood scrutiny and lawsuits as Southern Land Co had with its Green Hills project.

I honestly think it's for the sole reason that people don't tend to notice expansion, especially of a mall, since the perceived impact is much lower than a full on new build that changes the fabric of a block.

When you're in your own little turret looking out the tiny arrow slit that is your viewpoint, you are likely only to see what's happening right in front of you without context as to what's happening everywhere else, and it's easy to get angry at that one thing.

I honestly think it's for the sole reason that people don't tend to notice expansion, especially of a mall, since the perceived impact is much lower than a full on new build that changes the fabric of a block.

When you're in your own little turret looking out the tiny arrow slit that is your viewpoint, you are likely only to see what's happening right in front of you without context as to what's happening everywhere else, and it's easy to get angry at that one thing.

Plus, as a 60-year-old strip shopping center turned into a mall, it's presence and periodic expansion over the decades has become de facto, citywide.  Even when the momsie use to take me to the shopping center back in the mid-'50s, when she was in grad school at Peabody College, it was considered being a cut above the rest, in the sense that G-H SC attracted certain retail not found in the other few existing SC's dotting the region (when DT as still king).  Everyone seems to view the Mall at G-H as being "understood" as a sacred cow of expansion, because most people still alive in GH grew up with it in some form or fashion.  Southern Land is a Johnny-Come-Lately, comparatively speaking.  As I've given in and said earlier, I have changed my sentiment from a naysayer to now being in full support of "en-craning" for high-rise in the GH business district.  After all, it is in my own back yard, but most other people my age would be dead set against it.
-==-

Edited by rookzie

I was curious about the project taking place in the Nations neighborhood on the corner of 60th, and Morrow Ave. The web site (http://www.mikendevelopment.com/treaty-oaks/) for the project, Treaty Oaks Cottages, doesn't offer much information but I was curious if any one had any idea about the status of this project. 

I know the West Mill condos (http://www.urbandalenations.com/) sold out the first round of pre-sale units (40 units out of 90) because I tried to purchase one as an investment property but was to late. 

I was curious about the project taking place in the Nations neighborhood on the corner of 60th, and Morrow Ave. The web site (http://www.mikendevelopment.com/treaty-oaks/) for the project, Treaty Oaks Cottages, doesn't offer much information but I was curious if any one had any idea about the status of this project. 

I know the West Mill condos (http://www.urbandalenations.com/) sold out the first round of pre-sale units (40 units out of 90) because I tried to purchase one as an investment property but was to late. 

I should have asked Michale Bout that when I spoke to him last week. He is pretty busy with Salemtown cottages, his project on James ave, and the one on the corner of Illinois and 51st. Either myself or William will try to reach out to him.

I know that the Hosteltler project seems to be well under way over on California too..

I should have asked Michale Bout that when I spoke to him last week. He is pretty busy with Salemtown cottages, his project on James ave, and the one on the corner of Illinois and 51st. Either myself or William will try to reach out to him.

I know that the Hosteltler project seems to be well under way over on California too..

Appreciate the update, sounds like he has his hands full. For selfish reasons, being that I live in the nations neighborhood, I'm happy he is developing so much in my area. 

I'm not sure exactly which project you are referring to when you referenced the 'Hosteltler project on California'. Do you have any more information concerning that? 

Any one have any information on the 'Kenrow Corner' mixed use project by Carbine & Associates  in the Nations neighborhood on the corner of Kentucky Ave. and Morrow Rd? 

They broke ground on the sight and seems as if they put all the sewer lines in but haven't done anything in the past couple of months. 

Here is the web site for reference http://carbineandassociates.com/unique-mixed-use-kenrow-corner-unveiled-in-the-nations/ 

Project planned in the Croleywood Charlotte Park area.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/8/21/fall_groundbreaking_targeted_for_west_side_residential_project

Thanks, Ron,  you musta been 'round here quite a while to know about "Croleywood" as a named community.  There used to even be a Croleywood city bus, way back before they started numbering the routes. -==-

Thanks, Ron,  you musta been 'round here quite a while to know about "Croleywood" as a named community.  There used to even be a Croleywood city bus, way back before they started numbering the routes. -==-

I surprise a lot of folks with my knowledge of Nashville. I also know a lot of the back roads better than most of the natives here too.

Any one have any information on the 'Kenrow Corner' mixed use project by Carbine & Associates  in the Nations neighborhood on the corner of Kentucky Ave. and Morrow Rd? 

They broke ground on the sight and seems as if they put all the sewer lines in but haven't done anything in the past couple of months. 

Here is the web site for reference http://carbineandassociates.com/unique-mixed-use-kenrow-corner-unveiled-in-the-nations/ 

I saw Michael Kenner today and he said as far as he knew the project was supposed to moving forward. On a side note I have hear that the developer refused to talk with the neighbors about the design. Working with the neighborhood groups is of utmost importance and will make you more successful in the long-run.