Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

18 hours ago, Paramount747 said:

We in East Nashville lost a large urban Publix Grocery  store for Gallatin Road near 5 Points because of neighborhood leaders being too demanding, complaining about traffic, complaining about design and the like. So Public gave East Nashville the middle finger and has not offered to come back.

Nope.jpg. The primary reason Publix didn't and still hasn't invested in an East Nashville location is that the economic fundamentals (demographics primarily) weren't (and aren't) there. The regulatory issues (concerning legalized loan sharking) did contribute, but those standards were agreed upon by the neighborhood, the MPC and Metro Council.

I think this may be a pretty good location for Ray's club, considering he may be aiming for a demographic that might prefer to avoid the crowds & traffic of downtown (older folks & tourist bus traffic) AND because there is another similar venue with the same audience in mind under construction in Bellevue:

Submitted

"Larry's Country Diner" is set to open its real-life diner in Bellevue in the spring.

The local RFD-TV show filmed at Northstar Studios on Dickerson Pike is set to open the actual diner in the spring, where the show will be filmed and guests can enjoy hot Southern meals.

"Witnessing its tremendous growth over the past six years that’s allowed us to build a real-life diner where the food is served hot and feels right at home when you walk in is a dream come true,” Larry Black, founder and owner of Gabriel Communications, said in a news release.

The 6,700-square-foot site at 7734 Highway 70 S. will seat 135 and will be custom-designed to the setting of the show.

It's also a concert venue, and guests can expect scheduled and impromptu performances by musicians.

Quote above and photo from a September 2015 article in the Tennessean.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

From the Nations neighborhood Councilwoman...

BIG NEWS: 51st AVE being Paved and Striped1h ago

Mary Carolyn Roberts from The Nations

When it was brought to my attention that 51st Ave wasn't on the paving cycle for the next 2 years, I went to the Mayor and plead our case. The one square mile that comprises the Nations proper is arguably the fastest growing segment of Nashville. Combined with the fact that we are exponentially adding to the tax base as much, or more, than any other area in the city, the Mayor bumped us up to the top of the paving schedule......if you want to thank her for this, it would go a long way because that was a HUGE thing for her to do for us! ([email protected]

This summer, 51st Ave is getting paved and striped. We are going to have parking on both sides of the street and a turning lane.This will slow the truck traffic down considerably, if not begin the elimination of it. Having parking on both sides will hopefully get some of the cars off of of the side streets and make the retail space on 51st more desirable to restaurants and local proprietors.

• Like 4

On 3/8/2016 at 2:14 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Thank goodness you guys were able to get rid of Buddy Baker over there. He wanted to cater to the big trucking companies rather than listen to the concerns of the locals

One City lands a hotel - Starwood Hotel 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/03/charlotte-avenues-onecity-lands-eco-savvy-starwood.html

Big news for One CIty, My office looks directly in to the One CIty location and those guys are out working all day, every day. 

• Like 1

Some perspective on the Madison Mills development that Stonehenge is working hard to get passed through concerned Sylvan Park residents. I can't imagine WHY these NIMBY's would rather have this existing mess (see all photos below), instead of 300+ new residential units and retail.  Ugh.

Front of old Madison Mills factory along Charlotte Ave.

Madison Mills 1, March 2016.jpg

Interior of site.

Madison Mills 2, March 2016.jpg

Madison Mills 3, March 2016.jpg

Sheds along 42nd Ave. The new Hill Center at Sylvan Heights in background

Madison Mills 4, March 2016.jpg

Madison Mills 5, March 2016.jpg

The back of Madison Mills as seen from the ball fields at corner of Elkins and CSX RR tracks.

Madison Mills 6, March 2016.jpg

Just behind home plate at Little League Field.

Madison Mills 7, March 2016.jpg

Looking northward on the CSX tracks, with Hill Center at Sylvan Heights on the right.

Madison Mills 8, March 2016.jpg

Looking westward into the site from CSX tracks.

Madison Mills 9, March 2016.jpg

Madison Mills 10, March 2016.jpg

The front of the property on Charlotte Ave. with the entranceway to the new Hill Center at Sylvan Heights on the other side of the RR crossing.

Madison Mills 11, March 2016.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 3

Mark, I must say that you are "click bait".  Always compelled to click on a post that you have made.  We outtatowners crave the photos, and you have a good eye for projects underway and sites of current interest. So thanks.

That said, I have not followed this one closely, but I know it's on Charlotte in a fast developing stretch between I-440 and 46th (actually all the way to downtown when One C1TY and the Capitol View projects among others are included).  I see the HG Hill project beyond the old Madison Mill building above.  My curiosity is about how much of those old buildings will be save/preserved/utilized in the new Stonehenge plan.  And that baseball field... is that a city park?  Or is that the MBA athletic complex?  Also, do those roads behind these projects connect to the hillside above I-440 with those modern houses with views of downtown. I think it's called Charlotte Heights. I am not familiar with that section of town, but looking on Google maps, it does not look like there is very good connectivity between Charlotte and West End/Murphy. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Mark, I must say that you are "click bait".  Always compelled to click on a post that you have made.  We outtatowners crave the photos, and you have a good eye for projects underway and sites of current interest. So thanks.

That said, I have not followed this one closely, but I know it's on Charlotte in a fast developing stretch between I-440 and 46th (actually all the way to downtown when One C1TY and the Capitol View projects among others are included).  I see the HG Hill project beyond the old Madison Mill building above.  My curiosity is about how much of those old buildings will be save/preserved/utilized in the new Stonehenge plan.  And that baseball field... is that a city park?  Or is that the MBA athletic complex?  Also, do those roads behind these projects connect to the hillside above I-440 with those modern houses with views of downtown. I think it's called Charlotte Heights. I am not familiar with that section of town, but looking on Google maps, it does not look like there is very good connectivity between Charlotte and West End/Murphy. 

This is the proposed layout. Doesn't look like any current buildings will be saved.

Madison%20Mills_zpsuxo7vy9v.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Thanks, MLBrumby.  As PHofKS said, I don't think there is going to be any attempt to save elements of the factory.  It has been abandoned a long time, and I think it is beyond salvageable for any reasonable habitat usage. The baseball field and soccer/football field that are just to the south are not listed as a city park on any maps I've looked at, but it is open to the public and apparently gets a lot of use.  Not sure who maintains it. The neighborhood just to the east is called Sylvan Heights (this is where the new HG Hill Sylvan Heights development is located), and it is hemmed-in due to the CSX RR track that curves around it's west and south side that does not have any crossings, as well as I-440 on the east.  The only practical entrance points are via 33rd, 34th, 37th, 38th, 39th, and 40th Avenues off of Charlotte Ave. on the north side, so, indeed, there is poor connectivity to West End/Murphy.  But the Madison Mills plot is on the west side of those tracks, and is considered in the Sylvan Park neighborhood.  The primary street entrances into the development would be a main driveway off of Charlotte and and three entrances on 42nd Ave.  The latter connects all the way down to Murphy Rd.

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2016 at 1:28 PM, MLBrumby said:

And that baseball field... is that a city park?  Or is that the MBA athletic complex?

12 hours ago, markhollin said:

The baseball field and soccer/football field that are just to the south are not listed as a city park on any maps I've looked at, but it is open to the public and apparently gets a lot of use.  Not sure who maintains it.

Auxiliary athletic fields for MBA. Lacrosse, JV and middle school sports, etc.

• Like 2

From Nashville Post this afternoon: Nashville-based Stonehenge Real Estate has submitted to the Metro Planning Department staff an image of a segment of its Madison Mill Lofts mixed-use project planned for Sylvan Park in West Nashville. Stonehenge will go before the planning commission on Thursday, March 24, to seek site plan approval for the project. Madison Mill would site on 7.1 acres near the southeast corner of the intersection of 42nd and Charlotte avenues. The plan proposes up to 317 apartment units, up to five freestanding single-family residential units (to front 42nd), and up to 12,000 square feet of commercial space. The multi-unit buildings will comprise 295 stacked flats and 22 townhomes. The Madison Mill Lofts buildings would, to an extent, wrap a building on the intersection and home to, among others, The Beer Pale and FLIP Burger.

Madison Mill render, March 2016.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

From Nashville Post this afternoon: Nashville-based Stonehenge Real Estate has submitted to the Metro Planning Department staff an image of a segment of its Madison Mill Lofts mixed-use project planned for Sylvan Park in West Nashville. Stonehenge will go before the planning commission on Thursday, March 24, to seek site plan approval for the project. Madison Mill would site on 7.1 acres near the southeast corner of the intersection of 42nd and Charlotte avenues. The plan proposes up to 317 apartment units, up to five freestanding single-family residential units (to front 42nd), and up to 12,000 square feet of commercial space. The multi-unit buildings will comprise 295 stacked flats and 22 townhomes. The Madison Mill Lofts buildings would, to an extent, wrap a building on the intersection and home to, among others, The Beer Pale and FLIP Burger.

Madison Mill render, March 2016.jpg

If that were stone and brick, I'd say pretty cool.    But being Stonehenge, I would expect stucco and synthetic siding.    Good that they propose to include retail.  

17 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

My gut says they will walk away.

Many Sylvan Park residents obviously don't want Stonehenge's development. Why doesn't Stonehenge just find another industrial site in town and develop on it? There are many areas of Nashville that are going to experience growth in the coming years. Stonehenge has options. Go to an area where there development will be welcomed.

They have been shot down by the neighborhood the last two places they have tried. Part of the issue is the council woman in the district, that is saying she does not give a flip about what The Nashville Next plan is. She is going to fight any development it seems in her district. This goes against the plan. At some point the Nimbyo need to have their eyes opened to the fact that the city is growing and a lot of what they are doing will make the neighborhoods undesirable at some point. They will be all in favor of a grocery store coming to the neighborhood because it benefits them and they will not complain about the increased traffic. However if other people want to live in their little fifedom, then they will oppose it. That is how they come across.

You can't just pick an area that is not going to benefit the developer because, yes they are in the business of making money as everyone else is. The fact that a few more cars a day would be a threat to the nimbus is ridiculous as the property value will continue to climb. 

• Like 4

This may be partly due to Stonehenge's reputation from prior development (Note 16 & Artisan 18 specifically).  I have been in more than one meeting with council members and planning in which people bring up their developments as examples of what not to allow in your neighborhood. This one may be a good design, but reputations do matter. 

• Like 1