Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

This is huge for Charlotte. I know it's been discussed before that Charlotte isn't seeing the kind of multifamily boom that is happening in some of the other *hot* areas...well this type of thing could really help change that. Slowly but surely, I think we'll see bits and pieces of the "junk" chipped away from Charlotte. It's not going to be West End Ave by any stretch, but I think we're going to see some major changes in the next decade or so.

Posting another pic of the location from this publication...  http://charlotteave.blogspot.com/2013/09/hg-hill-ready-to-talk-about-development.html

HGHill_40thAve.jpg

The houses south of 40th avenue are also in the footprint of the development. 

This project is going to have a major impact on Charlotte and Sylvan Heights.  Once this development gets out of the ground I think we will see several more developers jump on board in the area.  Developers are scared to be first in but successful development begets successful development.  This and One C1ty will be game changers.  Charlotte has a long way to go but its also a 7 mile corridor, unlike 12South which is composed of a few blocks in a neighborhood on a 2 lane road.  I grew up in The Nations (not Historic West Town) so I'm pretty excited to see the area start to get a little love.

i love using that carwash, but... GOOD RIDDANCE!

eric b

I liked using that same carwash as well until I started going to Cameron Express on White Bridge, but this new development makes better use of the property than what was already there, IMO. Good to see some new infill development on that end of Charlotte.

Doesn't 40th run N-S?

Also, am I the only one unhappy with site drawing both lacking a North arrow and not having North as up?

That screen shot is kind of facing south from Charlotte, so it is almost upside down.  You are correct 40th Ave does run north-south and Charlotte runs east-west.  So the development site is west of 40th and south of Charlotte.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Southern Land Co.’s CEO Tim Downey has defended the project, saying it is a first step towards making Green Hills a live-work-play community that will allow residents and workers to walk rather than drive their cars."

This quote made me laugh a little. I love the SLC project but, really, this building is not going to make Green Hills walkable. First step? Residents can walk out their front door, but will still have to drive across the street to Whole Foods or to the Regal. Absent a tear down and redesign of the Hillsboro corridor, pedestrians have no chance.

• Like 1

"Southern Land Co.’s CEO Tim Downey has defended the project, saying it is a first step towards making Green Hills a live-work-play community that will allow residents and workers to walk rather than drive their cars."

This quote made me laugh a little. I love the SLC project but, really, this building is not going to make Green Hills walkable. First step? Residents can walk out their front door, but will still have to drive across the street to Whole Foods or to the Regal. Absent a tear down and redesign of the Hillsboro corridor, pedestrians have no chance.

You have to be creative, but you can walk green hills.

The other day a friend and I parked at greenbriar village. We went to Parnassus and Donut Den. Then I had to get cash so we walked over to the US bank across richard jones road. Richard Jones has decent sidewalks. Next we walked down Richard jones to trader joes. The crosswalk there is ugly but it exists and there is a signal phase for pedestrian crossing. This will likely be improved with the new building.

After shopping at TJ's we crossed again and walked along the really nice sidewalk in front of greenbriar village, dropped the groceries off in the car. Crossed again at Abbot Martin. Here we cheated- although we weren't going to the mall we did walk through it. Think of it as a climate controlled pedestrian bypass with a lot of teens and expensive retail to ignore.

Exiting onto the north side of the mall there is quite a nice sidewalk that you can take to the theatre. You then have to pass by the rather charming outdoor cafe at table 3. Then we walked back to the theater and watched gravity which was INTENSE! After the movie we walked back along the north side of the mall past a lot of al fresco dining that would be more charming if it didn't look out onto a sea of parking.

There is a staircase down from the nordstrom parking lot that leads to a fine sidewalk along hillsboro. We took it back to abbot martin, crossed over to greenbriar village, hopped in the car and went on our way, although we could have walked down the pleasant sidewalks on bandywood to the greenhouse bar for a drink.

Yes, lots of work remains to make green hills walkable. Changing perceptions of appropriate transportation will be as important as installing the remaining infrastructure, though.

Community meeting on proposed Green Hills plan update and zone change for parcel at 2107 Bernard.  (Note:  Hillsboro Village and Midtown are classified by Planning as part of the Green Hills/Midtown Community Plan).

The Metropolitan Planning Department will host a community meeting to discuss a proposed amendment to the Green Hills - Midtown Community Plan: 2005 Update and zone change at property located at 2107 Bernard Avenue.

The community meeting will be held on Monday, October 28, 2013 from 6:00 p.m. to7:00 p.m., at the Martin Professional Development Center on 2400 Fairfax Ave.,Nashville, TN 37212.

The applicant is requesting an amendment to the Green Hills – Midtown Community Plan to change the current policy from Neighborhood General to Transitional Office or Buffer in Neighborhood General, and is also requesting to change the zoning from R6 Residential to SP – MU Zoning (Specific Plan – Mixed Use), to permit residential and general office uses.

For more information, email [email protected] or call (615)862-7188.Image_%20Property%20Location_Office%20Tr

• 2 weeks later...

The Tennessean gets the scoop (I think) on another expansion at the Mall at Green Hills... while they had announced (vaguely) that there was a plan for future expansion.  Here are more details...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131028/BUSINESS/310280076/Mall-Green-Hills-expanding-targeting-more-high-end-retailers?odyssey=mod{sodEmoji.|}breaking{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

So if my estimates (and memory) are correct, this puts the mall at over 1 million s.f. of retail space.  I believe it currently sits at around 920,000. 

Edited by MLBrumby

Anyway, GH residents got together to discuss ways to address the traffic situation. Suffice it to say, nothing was (or could have been) accomplished because anything making sense wouldn't make anyone happy.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131029/NEWS01/310290034/Green-Hills-residents-discuss-ways-relieve-traffic-congestion

Reading about this plan, I understand the expansion will have to take place in at least four phases...

1. Building new garage on Cleghorn

2. Demolishing old garage at corner of Cleghorn and Abbott Martin

3. Building new Dillards (180k)

4. Fitting old Dillards building for new retail shops

So the four year timeline is a bit easier to understand. No construction costs have been publicly announced; so one would wonder if there is more to this as Taubman shops potential space for 1-2 new future anchors.  I recall prior to the Nordstrom addition, it was stated that the mall had enough land for three more anchors (apparently moving Dillards to the corner takes one of those "3 slots").  I don't think Taubman owns the long professional building next door, but maybe someone here can set me straight on that. I also recall discussion about a hotel at an earlier time (pre-recession), but of course, that was under the previous owner Davis Land. 

I don't pretend to know what's in store (yes, I know) for MAGH, but I find two concurrent things quite interesting: 1) The discussions about alleviating  traffic in Green Hills.  It seems a big "No duh!" would be to align 2-3 of those intersections on Hillsboro and improve signal timing; but what do I know? Wouldn't such a project also be a grand opportunity to bury several of the unsightly utility poles?    

Then 2) the recently announced planned expansions at Cool Springs. That mall's owner CBL is not known for its high-end properties (CS may be their nicest), but they do have a lot of properties and maintain them reasonably well (If you like malls, and I don't).  

Sort of a microcosm of what could be going on in other midsize markets and as malls in general fall in favor with shoppers, it seems that Cool Springs would love to grab more of the high end market. Just speculating. 

Maybe our retail "experts" here have much better insight. 

Added... 

William Williams has more on this project in the Post...  http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/10/28/mall_at_green_hills_to_expand_with_new_dillards

Edited by MLBrumby