Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Flats at Silo Bend (four 3 story buildings, at least 200 units) update.  Nearly complete.

Looking north from intersection of Centennial Blvd. and 54th Ave. North:

1.png

Looking NE from intersection of Centennial Blvd. and 56th Ave. North:

2.png

Any idea of when these actually open up for tenants? 

36 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I can't believe the new mall addition somehow found a way to be even more closed off to the surrounding neighborhood than the original mall structure.  A missed opportunity indeed!  This could have been a major step toward making Green Hills an actual walkable, cohesive neighborhood, and toward making the mall a focal point of it.  Instead though we got a beige blank wall dinosaur surrounded by asphalt straight outta 1987.   So disappointing.  

Agreed. Someone mentioned to me (on another forum) that there is a longer term plan to add another anchor to the north side between Dillards and Nordstrom. At first, it didn't seem like enough room....but in the photo above...it does kind of look like there is an indention in the wall (upper and lower) that might accommodate an entrance to the mall perhaps? Either way, there is nothing pleasing about the way this looks at this point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I can't believe the new mall addition somehow found a way to be even more closed off to the surrounding neighborhood than the original mall structure.  A missed opportunity indeed!  This could have been a major step toward making Green Hills an actual walkable, cohesive neighborhood, and toward making the mall a focal point of it.  Instead though we got a beige blank wall dinosaur surrounded by asphalt straight outta 1987.   So disappointing.  

This is so true. Green Hills is so close and yet so far away. With the mall addition wasted on doubling down on suburban style, I think their best shot is if someone would drop about 300 apartments directly adjacent to the Hill Center development. That street would be the perfect new nucleus for a walkable Green Hills, and if they ever start growing a non-car-dependent customer base they could build outward from there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Edgefield D said:

Agreed. Someone mentioned to me (on another forum) that there is a longer term plan to add another anchor to the north side between Dillards and Nordstrom. At first, it didn't seem like enough room....but in the photo above...it does kind of look like there is an indention in the wall (upper and lower) that might accommodate an entrance to the mall perhaps? Either way, there is nothing pleasing about the way this looks at this point. 

I would bet there were stipulations in the deal when Dillards sold their land to the mall preventing a new anchor, on that land. I'd heard that the office building (next to the movies) might go and a new anchor might go there, but that was many years ago prior to this renovation.

2 hours ago, AronG said:

This is so true. Green Hills is so close and yet so far away. With the mall addition wasted on doubling down on suburban style, I think their best shot is if someone would drop about 300 apartments directly adjacent to the Hill Center development. That street would be the perfect new nucleus for a walkable Green Hills, and if they ever start growing a non-car-dependent customer base they could build outward from there.

Agreed completely.  With this suburban style addition too I worry that in fifteen years or so this mall will be a total relic of a bygone era and become just another dead mall.

• Like 1

Just an observation here from a novice about One Bellevue Place. Lots of restaurants, not that many soft goods stores with no real big box anchor to speak of. I just walked the entire property and most of the restaurants had very few customers for a Saturday. Now, I would say they probably do OK at night, but lunch is a problem and if you cant have a strong lunch and dinner with that many restaurants,  a number of them will not make it.

The project is missing one key element.....office space. That would help some of these places do better I would think. I did check out Sprouts and you have to do selective  shopping as some items are double the price they would be somewhere else.

The other retail stores are specialty stores, Michaels, Pet Smart, etc, catering to select customers. This is basiclly Bellevue Mall without the roof or department stores. Nashville West has the Target and the Costco which brings in lots of shoppers that will not go to OBP.

Just an obervation and I hope I am wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

....The other retail stores are specialty stores, Michaels, Pet Smart, etc, catering to select customers. This is basiclly Bellevue Mall without the roof or department stores. Nashville West has the Target and the Costco which brings in lots of shoppers that will not go to OBP.

You're correct on that, at least from what I've seen a few times I've been at One Bellevue Place.

How's the plaza in front doing, the one that has the Dollar Tree, and Bed, Bath, and Beyond?

I didnt really see a lot of folks in any of the stores with the exception of the Sprouts. It was a nice day which should have brought more people out. The movie theaters had a few folks there, but I dont really care for AMC as it is a cluster. You have to stand in the concession line to buy your ticket  if you have not pre-purchased it through Fandango or their rewards program, so I simply avoid that theater even though its closer.

I did eat at the PDK Southern & Pantry and it was very good and the prices were reasonable. I think one reason for that is it is owned by the Demos family.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The project is missing one key element.....office space. That would help some of these places do better I would think. I did check out Sprouts and you have to do selective  shopping as some items are double the price they would be somewhere else.

Bellevue in general has a dearth of office space. The location of the nursing home was originally to be low-rise office space.

The nursing home itself, while probably a good short-term move to fill real estate, does not seem complementary to the development. I'm not a marketing professional but I'm fairly positive folks in nursing homes are not getting out to shop and eat very often.

I wonder how long some of the restaurants will last. Some of them have rather high price points and it seems most people in Bellevue (in spite of the community having excellent local dining options for its size and location) are more concerned with getting more chains and Mexican restaurants.

Hopefully the development in general will get another bump once the hotel and ice center open. It's better than what was there in any case.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:51 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Just an observation here from a novice about One Bellevue Place. Lots of restaurants, not that many soft goods stores with no real big box anchor to speak of. I just walked the entire property and most of the restaurants had very few customers for a Saturday. Now, I would say they probably do OK at night, but lunch is a problem and if you cant have a strong lunch and dinner with that many restaurants,  a number of them will not make it.

The other retail stores are specialty stores, Michaels, Pet Smart, etc, catering to select customers. This is basiclly Bellevue Mall without the roof or department stores. Nashville West has the Target and the Costco which brings in lots of shoppers that will not go to OBP.

On Friday, my wife had to get a few things for a birthday party so she had three choices: Cool Springs area, Madison/Rivergate or Bellevue.  She choose One Bellevue Place.  It's an easy drive down I-40 from the downtown or midtown area, the scenery along the way is beautiful, and the shops are new and a good mix.

Sprouts appeals to the Whole Foods crowd with lower prices and a smaller, friendlier feel.

To your point, office space would be a great addition to this area.  I think Bellevue has a lot to offer the non-Williamson-county crowd.