Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

Not sure of the technique, Nwill. for neo-trad design, this building looks very solid. I like it (though purists might scoff noting it's a "fake building")

I'm a purist (see: my dislike of the Buckingham project), but I still love this building.  If you're not looking for it, the seams in the panels aren't extremely noticeable.

Sort of like how the East Tennessee History Center in Knoxville did their exterior: They used marble veneer over a standard concrete/cinder block construction.  If you didn't know they did it, you'd never notice it. And it's one of the best looking buildings in a town of awesome architecture.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking the technique. In fact, I was admiring the work and simply trying to confirm my hunch. I used to work for an architectural precast concrete company in the Silicon Valley and I was very proud of the work we did. I cringe when I hear people talk about "exposed concrete", as if it's an inferior product, when (most likely) they don't know how beautiful it can actually be. Not to mention far superior to many other siding materials. Many people just associate concrete with "gray".

For the record, I don't particularly love the design of this building, but I think it's very good work. And I'm 99% sure that it's prefabricated concrete panels with a brick veneer.

Edit; FWIW, I would argue that almost all buildings these days are "fake" in the tradition sense. The days of hundreds of masons putting up a brick house with stone interior walls are long gone. These days, you have either a structural steel/wood/concrete shell with an "affordable" siding (such as vinyl, stucco, or hardie-board) or you have a more traditional siding (brick, stone, tile, or the more modern glass) that is erected in a more modern fashion. It doesn't make them any less "real", it just makes them more technologically advanced. There is a reason we didn't have skyscrapers made out of stone. Under that rationale, the Chrysler Building is "fake".

Edited by nashvillwill

NBJ reports that a large parcel was sold at 21st Ave N/Spruce Street, just north of Charlotte  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2014/07/21st-ave-site-sells-for-4-million-development.html.  This site is a little bit off the beaten path when looking at a map.  But the reality is that it sits directly across the street from Head Magnet School.  That makes for a good live/work situation for offices/apartments/condos or some combination of the two.

Edited by bwithers1

Unbelievable how The Nations is changing.  A wine bar on 51st would have been unthinkable 10 years ago.  

Been going to Rumors for years (miss the 12 south location) but I have had an awful time the past 2 visits in East Nashville.  New ownership (as of 6 months ago)  updated and expanded the menu but I had to send the food back both times (once a steak, once some fish).  Hope they get better in the kitchen as the staff is friendly and the outdoor seating is excellent.  Never had any bad experiences in the Gulch.  

A permit was pulled yesterday to renovate a warehouse building at 60th/California to include, among other uses, a microbrewery.

If I recall, no tap room though.

It was confirmed a few weeks back that Madison Mill, a manufacturer of palettes, hanging racks, etc located in Sylvan Park will be relocating to Ashland City in 2015. I was having beers with some friends the other night and apparently they're already in the early stages of drawing up plans to develop the site with possibly apt/mixed use. This is already a hot site with proximity to the hostess adaptive reuse and the oncoming Hill Center Sylvan Heights. Great news for the hood. That industrial eye sore stuck out like a sore thumb.

• Like 1

It was confirmed a few weeks back that Madison Mill, a manufacturer of palettes, hanging racks, etc located in Sylvan Park will be relocating to Ashland City in 2015. I was having beers with some friends the other night and apparently they're already in the early stages of drawing up plans to develop the site with possibly apt/mixed use. This is already a hot site with proximity to the hostess adaptive reuse and the oncoming Hill Center Sylvan Heights. Great news for the hood. That industrial eye sore stuck out like a sore thumb.

Although there have been a lot of sore thumbs on that stretch of Charlotte.   Good news if your sources are correct.    Madison Mill is a large piece of property.   As I recall there are some nice athletic fields just behind it.

I saw the article in the Tennessean when it happened. The owner has been mum on what is going to happen with the property. Madison Mills did not own it. They are moving to the old Triton Boat's location right off Hwy 12.

Guess we will have to wait and see. I forgot to post the article, as I have been taking it real easy for the last couple of months.

The fields do belong to MBA and they're open to the public when not being used. There are also rumors swirling around that edleys BBQ and jenis ice cream are opening locations in SP at the new roundabout (where old sylvan park restaurant was)

OMG! I will have to schedule more cardio if this happens.

• Like 1

In the picture, this development looks HUGE...but when you drive by the construction site, it's hard to see how this is all going to fit on that plot of land. Plus, isn't the new Bank of America kind of getting the shaft? If this thing is as big as it looks, you won't even be able to see the bank from the street unless you're up by Levys...

• 2 weeks later...

Hill Realty announces 6 story apartment building in Green Hills.

Behind the paywall but will come out soon.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/8/4/hill_realty_eyes_green_hills_site_for_apartment_building

The L-shaped structure would offer 90 apartment units and front both Bandywood Drive and Hillsboro Circle.

The building would be 2 stories of parking topped with four stories of apartments.