Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

This is really not surprising.  Since opening in 2009, this particular Harris Teeter has never been very busy, even compared to other HT stores at 21st & Blair, Hwy 70/100 and Brentwood.  The store was very large and modern, but hampered by a rear entrance, underground parking and a general lack of visibility from Harding Rd. The Publix store directly across Harding Rd. is always extremely busy.  

Since Kroger bought Harris Teeter last year, their emphasis has been on remodeling and improving existing Kroger stores, using the Green Hills Kroger as a local model.  The Kroger on Franklin Rd. in Melrose was recently renovated to appeal to the 12 South/Melrose customer base.  Apparently the Kroger store on Charlotte at White Bridge Rd. is due for a badly needed renovation and upgrade this year to appeal to customers in Sylvan Park/Nations.  The Belle Meade Kroger has received numerous face lifts but is severely hampered by its size which can't be enlarged.

Kroger, long the dominant grocery chain in Nashville, has lost significant market share in the last 10 years as Publix has rapidly expanded across the city and Middle TN region with newer stores and a much nicer shopping experience.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the huge amount of space that will be vacant once Harris Teeter is closed.  

Great post and info.  Kroger on Rosa Parks needs a complete renovation.  

• Like 1

St. Thomas West plans a huge mixed-use development, including the UT Medical School branch, with at least 400,000 of office and 50,000 of retail wrapped around parking.  This is in addition to St. Thomas' 200,000 sf expansion already underway. 

From Getahn Ward at the Tennessean...  http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/02/04/details-emerge-saint-thomas-mixed-use-project/22889151/

St. Thomas West plans a huge mixed-use development, including the UT Medical School branch, with at least 400,000 of office and 50,000 of retail wrapped around parking.  This is in addition to St. Thomas' 200,000 sf expansion already underway. 

From Getahn Ward at the Tennessean...  http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/02/04/details-emerge-saint-thomas-mixed-use-project/22889151/

My summary...

StThomasExpansion_zps7b3506df.jpg

Almost every other development in the area is building upwards, but they build a suburban office park on freaking West End. Good job, UT/St. Thomas. :sick:

I hope not!  The description didn't read to me like sprawl though.  The retail could be facing the street and wrapped around a central parking garage, theoretically.  Is that not what's happening?

Sounds like the are phasing in parts of this project, and will eventually use up the whole 7 acres (including site of Imperial House).  Also, they plan to wrap the retail around structured parking.  So hopefully, this will be more urban than suburban when it is finally completed.  

• Like 2

I was looking at the master plan of Centennial Park the other day and it showed plans for putting 31st in a tunnel under the park, rather than bisecting part of it like it is now.  Any word on this?  I think that's really interesting but it sounds expensive, especially when connecting to the 28/31st causeway.

I was looking at the master plan of Centennial Park the other day and it showed plans for putting 31st in a tunnel under the park, rather than bisecting part of it like it is now.  Any word on this?  I think that's really interesting but it sounds expensive, especially when connecting to the 28/31st causeway.

I don't know for sure, but I would bet that that was ditched.

I don't remember the time frame, but that is one option for that section of the park.  If a tunnel isn't constructed under 31st, another option is upgraded pedestrian crossings and amenities to connect the hill to the rest of the park.

Phase one and two are supposed to be done by May:

http://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-Recreation/Planning-and-Development/Park-Plans-and-Projects/Centennial-Park.aspx

and the breakdown of the six phases is on page 64 of this:

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Parks/docs/planning/Master%20Plan/Master%20Plan.pdf

• Like 1

I would like to see that tunnel happen.  But we all know it won't.  Costs would be way too high with local geology. 

As I recall, It isn't (wouldn't have been) a tunnel proper, but more like a "cut and cover" without much of the cut. Don't think it would require such a change in the vertical alignment of 31st that geology becomes an issue.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's what's been expected.  They razed a whole swath of area between Graybar LN (not "Graymont" LN as published in NBJ) and Woodmont Blvd. ─ rather unusual all at once for GH.  But to me it is a bit welcome to many, I suppose, since most of the homes removed had been well-deteriorated '50's-vintage ranch eyesores on huge lots, and some of which had been turned into student rentals.

-==-

Workforce housing apartments planned off Charlotte Ave.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/02/12/workforce-housing-apartments-planned-charlotte-pike/23328281/

Finally...apartments that the average Nashvillian can afford. We need more developers to step up to the plate and partner with non-profits and the govt to create more affordable housing options in the Nashville urban district. No saltwater pools, rooftop decks, and yoga studios needed. Just quality affordable housing located near jobs, transit, and services.

There is also affordable housing going in on the lot behind the Oasis center off of Charlotte.

• Like 4

Sort of like saying the new amphitheater is Midtown.

I drove over that way this morning and James Ave is like a quarter mile from Centennial Blvd. Don't take me wrong, I think it's great that Charlotte Park is starting to get some new development, but I think this is somewhat going to be suburban type buildings.