smeagolsfree

Green Hills/Belle Meade Projects

5 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

This is a pretty impressive expansion. Can anyone explain to me funding for school projects this to me? I have been working on another project about 90 minutes south of the city and am curious how Hillsboro can get a large reno like this on valuable land, but the client I am working with cannot. Thanks in advance

Not sure what you mean.      MNPS has a budget that is included in the overall city budget proposed by the Mayor's office and approved by Council.   Every year the MNPS budget includes a number of capital improvement projects for maintenance, renovation or new construction of facilities.      The needs list for capital projects county-wide far exceeds the amount of funding available from budget to budget, so MNPS has a continual backlog of projects that have been in the queue for years.       The decision on which projects to include in a budget year is made on a needs/priority basis determined by MNPS and the School Board.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

Not sure what you mean.      MNPS has a budget that is included in the overall city budget proposed by the Mayor's office and approved by Council.   Every year the MNPS budget includes a number of capital improvement projects for maintenance, renovation or new construction of facilities.      The needs list for capital projects county-wide far exceeds the amount of funding available from budget to budget, so MNPS has a continual backlog of projects that have been in the queue for years.       The decision on which projects to include in a budget year is made on a needs/priority basis determined by MNPS and the School Board.    

Makes sense. My question was more of a vague question in terms of how these projects are funded. What I experienced in MA is very different from here where the state had a design/construction authority that would fund tax-payer dollars into school systems state wide and the state would cover up to 50% of construction costs. Hence they recently set a state record for a high school at around $250 million

The Shake Shack will open at the 4,000 sq. ft. corner space at 4031 Hillsboro Pike in the Hill Center Green Hills this Thursday.  The restaurant has capacity to seat about 200 people, including a large outdoor patio. Customers can play foosball and shuffleboard in the bright, open space.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/08/21/shake-shack-nashville-green-hills/1021247002/

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 8.50.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 8.50.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 8.51.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 8.51.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 8.51.52 AM.png

• Like 3

Lol I saw two guys get into a verbal shouting match over a table one of them thought he had claimed at a very busy Shake Shack in the Manhattan Financial District a couple of years ago, ever since then I’ve categorized Shake Shack as “Aggressive Fast-Casual Dining.” 

• Haha 3

Hillsboro H.S. expansion (4 stories, $89 million) update.  Up to 4th level. 

Looking south from bank parking lot, south of Glen Echo Drive, 1/2 block east of Hillsboro Rd:

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 6.50.27 AM.png

• Like 1

I would like to hear what the Green Hills opponents think about the new Southern Land tower in Green Hills now. I think it has turned out fabulously, and it doesn't even feel like a high rise when viewed from Hillsboro.  The setback really achieved its desired effect of moving the height away from Hillsboro and embracing a human scaled, pedestrian friendly development.  Every time I drive by, I am impressed by how well it has turned out.

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 4

The lot either right next to it or maybe the next one past that is for sale too. Zoning is for up to a 15 story building. So when they built Vertis, some zoning may have changed. I will go out on a limb and say Vertis will not be the last building around that height in GH.

• Like 2

Green Hills Mall expansion (3 stories) update:

Looking NW from Abott Martin Rd., 1/2 block west of Bandywood Dr:

Green Hills Mall expansion, Aug 26, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking SE from 4th level of parking garage near intersection of Mall Drive and Cleghorn Ave:

Green Hills Mall expansion, Aug 26, 2018, 2.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

Understand from a very reliable source that Zara, a European department store, will be part of the new section in the mall.  Zara sells clothing that is very European and would be considered a higher end than H & M and better quality.  It does seem odd that no official names of the new stores have been announced.  

They likely will wait until the new year to announce anything.

Nothing will really be ready until this time next year, from what I've heard. Also the public would get confused and think they were coming this year. Even when they start announcing, i bet it will be a few at a time...drawn out, to keep up interest.

I will also be interested to see how many current tenants will relocate within the mall. It's often easier to simply move into a new space than renovate an existing one. I think it will be a fairly dismal Christmas for the mall. There are a lot of empty spaces (the old Restoration and 3/4 surrounding now vacant spaces) and they will want to avoid any massive work in the existing space during the holiday season.

Edited by Nash_12South

They are already working on the old Restoration space, Starbucks, New Balance and Brooks Brothers.  With Zara news it looks like the rendering link earlier in this thread might be a good hint at the new stores and restaurants

Zara

Doc B's Fresh Kitchen

North Italia

• Like 1

Hillsboro H.S. expansion (3 stories, $89 million) update.

Looking SW from bank parking lot, south of Glen Echo Drive, 1/2 block east of Hillsboro Rd:

Hillsboro HS, Oct 17, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking south from bank parking lot, south of Glen Echo Drive, 1/2 block east of Hillsboro Rd:

Hillsboro HS, Oct 17, 2018, 2.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/14/2018 at 2:19 PM, leggy77 said:

They are already working on the old Restoration space, Starbucks, New Balance and Brooks Brothers.  With Zara news it looks like the rendering link earlier in this thread might be a good hint at the new stores and restaurants

Zara

Doc B's Fresh Kitchen

North Italia

I saw that a permit has been pulled for North Italia

It seems that the rendering showing store names may be pretty accurate

• Like 1

Metro Council OK's the land rezoning that will allow Monroe Harding foster care to sell it's 20 acre campus at 1120 Glendale Lane for a 31 home development. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/11/21/nashville-council-takes-action-finalize-monroe-harding-campus-sale/2076824002/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Metro Council OK's the land rezoning that will allow Monroe Harding foster care to sell it's 20 acre campus at 1120 Glendale Lane for a 31 home development. 

Thanks for sharing, @markhollin.  I know this vote was difficult for many people but seems to be best for all involved.

• Like 1

New stores at Mall of Green Hills. From The Tennessean... https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/11/28/nashville-mall-green-hills-adds-journeys-peloton-untuckit/2138869002/

North Italia

Lolli & Pops

Journeys

Peloton

Untuckit 

Other tenant openings this year at The Mall at Green Hills have included Altar’d State, Indochino, Johnny Was, RH Gallery, Sundance and an expanded Apple store.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

New stores at Mall of Green Hills. From The Tennessean... https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/11/28/nashville-mall-green-hills-adds-journeys-peloton-untuckit/2138869002/

North Italia

Lolli & Pops

Journeys

Peloton

Untuckit 

Other tenant openings this year at The Mall at Green Hills have included Altar’d State, Indochino, Johnny Was, RH Gallery, Sundance and an expanded Apple store.

Pretty underwhelming.

Yes. Likewise, I find the mix of stores at what should be the city's "premier" shopping destination be disappointing. So is the reason Taubman has not made any grand announcements for any new anchor(s) due to difficulty marketing MAGH to the top tier retailers? Or just general market pullback?  Yes, online sales have taken a bite out of B&M retailers, but much less so for premium brands. And ostensibly, the mall management appears to be making an attempt to create a critical mass of restaurants as the draw to shoppers.  I must confess I've never been inside a North Italia, but have seen them at upper-end shopping centers. Saw one at Legacy West in Plano last spring. This one at MAGH makes me wonder how Carrabbas feels about another Italian spot moving in on their turf. 

I just ate a a North Italia in San Diego and enjoyed the meal and beverages. I think the Green Hills location will do well.

• Like 1

Regarding the mall, I've heard that there are several big names the mall will be announcing as construction proceeds. With nothing really opening until late summer/fall of next year they will spool out the names as long as possible, generally until building permits start being pulled. I also suspect there will be some relocations of existing tenants as they shrink/grow or make way for new tenants not excited about being in the "Dillard's" end of the mall. 

I also wonder if we will finally see some better better development on Bandywood. There is a lot of potential as a walkable venue between Hill Place and the Mall. Some big retailers don't necessarily want to be in a mall anymore (like Pottery Barn). If the right developer could combine some of the smaller properties there is potential. I still remember (dimly) when Bandywood was mostly houses converted to shops.

• Like 3

RevPAR Development has paid $5.5 million for the .9 acre site at 3818 Bedford Ave. (a few blocks west of Green Hills Mall) from Ed Ewing, who had previously announced a 4 story, 135 room Hyatt brand hotel.  Pete Patel of RevPAR, also specializes in hotel development of hotels in 7 other states. He hopes to make an announcement within a week on his plans for the lot.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/12/11/hotel-developer-snags-land-in-affluent-nashville.html

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 7.55.00 AM.png

• Like 2

On 11/29/2018 at 2:39 PM, Nash_12South said:

Exterior render 1 - final.jpg

I think you see a glimpse of North Italia in this older rendering of the mall renovations.....

And how it looks 12/13/2018

IMG_2003.jpg

• Like 3

Hillsboro H.S.  (4 stories, plus refurbishing, $89 million) update.

Looking south from near Glen Echo Rd, 1/2 block east of Hillsboro Rd:

Hillsboro HS, Nov 18, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking SE from near Glen Echo Rd, 1/2 block east of Hillsboro Rd:

Hillsboro HS, Nov 18, 2018, 2.jpg

• Like 2