Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

From the article: "Kenner’s homes are priced around $239,000, which he said is substantially less than in Sylvan Park and East Nashville."

WAT? I live in East Nashville and the houses on my street range between $90-$150k. How is $240k 'substantially less' than $100k?

Edited by Rockatansky

I think the columnist is referring to the trendier East Nashville neighborhoods like Lockeland Springs and Edgefield which are pricier than The Nations. I do often wish journalists would be more specific when discussing East Nashville and its neighborhoods since they are all different and in varying stages of gentrification. 

Also, I think The Nation technically starts north of I-40, but it is reasonably connected to the commercial strip at Richland Park despite the highway barrier. There are a couple of access points to Charlotte Pike other than 51st.

Edited by ariesjow

I've pretty much stopped paying attention when someone mentions X about "East Nashville." The umbrella term isn't as useful as it once was. You can say pretty much anything involving "East Nashville is ______" and be completely right and wrong in the same sentence. I just assumed like aries that they were referring to the more expensive parts of East Nashville.

You're right.  West Nashville is no different than East Nashville in that there are substantial price differences among the various neighborhoods in those regions. 

I definitely agree that "East Nashville" is a broad term, almost too broad to be useful in most contexts, as are North Nashville, West Nashville or South Nashville I almost wish that people would limit the terms East Nashville, North Nashville, West Nashville, or South Nashville to specifically macro terms, and not try to compare a Neighborhood, which is a micro term, to a macro term somewhere else. It's like North, East, South and West are states and the individual neighborhoods are the counties within those states.  Would you compare a county of one state to another entire state without clarifying the basis for that comparison?

My irritation here is reading another Tennessean piece that has good intent but poor execution.  Tennessean writers too often take PR pieces and print them as news.  

But I am glad to see The Nations get some notice. And I'm glad that they are using the term, The Nations.  I do know someone who bought an actual (not a new reproduction) Victorian house over there a few years ago and has been restoring it. And I ran into a friend last week who just bought one of the new houses in The Nations and I'm hoping to go over soon and take a look at it, too, and check out The Stone Fox since I haven't been yet. 

I've pretty much stopped paying attention when someone mentions X about "East Nashville." The umbrella term isn't as useful as it once was. You can say pretty much anything involving "East Nashville is ______" and be completely right and wrong in the same sentence. I just assumed like aries that they were referring to the more expensive parts of East Nashville.

There are a lot of talented folks doing the best they can at the Tennessean. One explanation for slipups like this is the high turnover in reporting staff. I left about 3 years ago and today there are just a handful of people on the news side who were there when I left. The new blood tends to come from recent college graduates from other states, so the result is a very young reporting corps with little knowledge of Nashville's layout, history or personality. This isn't the reporters' fault; they're just new. Blame the management.

It's just another symptom of a bigger problem: Out-of-state ownership = less local investment, knowledge and credibility.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Richland Station cottage development on 54th in Sylvan Park.  http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/4/16/cottage_development_proposed_for_sylvan_park

Also, there was a proposal before the Planning Commission on the April 25th agenda to approve a resubdivision/rezoning of a property on 46th and Utah a couple of blocks up from the Murphy Road/46th intersection and possible future round-a-bout.  The rezoning would involve the property where Taste of Italy is located.  There would be commercial along 46th to include a restaurant and a small office tenant space with parking in the rear portion, with I think 3 residences at the northern end of the property on Utah.  The residence on the corner of Utah/46th would have a wrap-around-L porch to address both streets.  I haven't seen a rendering. 

This is another one where the expansion of commerical into residential areas creates some tension, even along collector streets like 46th.  Former CM Sommers is on record as opposed, arguing that commercial belongs on Charlotte, which is true to an extent.  Again, there is parking in the rear, but some residents expressed concern in the public comments that there are fewer parking spaces than tables.  Some residents fear - and understandably so given how Nashvillians are car addicts - that no matter how much of a "neighborhood" business this will be, that most people will drive rather than walk.  Particularly if the restaurant is successful.  Sad but probably true.  In my recent experience, neighbors are particularly wary of restaurants adjacent to residential because of the amount of parking that can happen at any one time and particularly later in the evenings.  Whereas small office or retail uses require much less parking and typically only operate 9-5 or so.

Edited by bwithers1

Porter Road Butcher is opening a location in an old Mrs Winner's building on Charlotte Pike across from Richland Park.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/05/porter-road-butcher-coming-to.html

http://www.nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2013/05/13/porter-road-butcher-to-open-new-shop-on-charlotte-avenue

Edited by TnNative

This is potentially huge news for the same stretch of Charlotte Pike. The former Charlotte Avenue Church of Christ site has been sold.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/business/2013/05/16/former-charlotte-avenue-church-of-christ-site-sold-for-1-8-million/?repeat=w3tc

Or maybe a 100 year old church will just be knocked down for a CVS Pharmacy?  Hopefully not.

Or maybe a 100 year old church will just be knocked down for a CVS Pharmacy?  Hopefully not.

The church was actually razed a couple of years ago after the contract with CVS (or maybe it was Rite Aid) fell through. I believe it was cheaper for the church to demolish than to keep up with maintenance.

The church was actually razed a couple of years ago after the contract with CVS (or maybe it was Rite Aid) fell through. I believe it was cheaper for the church to demolish than to keep up with maintenance.

That's too bad.  Somehow, though, it makes me feel better to know that it was a decision the church made and not one made by a multi-national corporation. 

It was Rite Aid who wanted to build a new pharmacy on that site, as there was already a CVS and a Walgreens about a mile west of the old church and funeral home properties.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Former Hostess Bakery at 42nd and Chatlotte to get an adaptive reuse. Approx 3-4 tenants, restaurant/retail. Shot the developer some questions. He was very happy to share what he could. Will do a blog post with his answers and renderings tonight. charlotteave.blogspot.com

• Like 3

Former Hostess Bakery at 42nd and Chatlotte to get an adaptive reuse. Approx 3-4 tenants, restaurant/retail. Shot the developer some questions. He was very happy to share what he could. Will do a blog post with his answers and renderings tonight. charlotteave.blogspot.com

Here is a link to a rendering. I'm not sure how to post a pic.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/06/charlotte-avenue-hostess-property-to.html

Edited by gannman
  • Like 1