Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

The Planning Commission just approved a townhome development on Overhill just east of Hillsboro, behind that crazy looking building with the wrought iron fence.  I think that it is six townhomes.  Thank goodness Green Hills is getting some sensible, dense development.  People in the townhomes could walk to everything!

The Planning Commission just approved a townhome development on Overhill just east of Hillsboro, behind that crazy looking building with the wrought iron fence.  I think that it is six townhomes.  Thank goodness Green Hills is getting some sensible, dense development.  People in the townhomes could walk to everything!

I assume the "crazy looking building" you refer to is the Alexander (or something like that). I always thought it looked like a riverboat.

I wonder which property they are going to put the townhomes on...everything over there is built out...so I guess they'll be tearing down a house or two. Perhaps here?

https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.100315,-86.817987&spn=0.000875,0.001321&t=h&z=20

I do agree that it would be nice for Green Hills to get some sensible dense development. I just wish they could work on the mess of strip malls and mini developments that dominate the area. I think the money in that area could make for a nice semi-urban mixed use district...but there is so, so much work that needs to be done.

Update on the Murphy Road/46th Ave Roundabout from a post by Councilman, Jason Holleman:

"ROUNDABOUT UPDATE: I heard from the chief engineer at Metro Public Works that the survey work is complete at 46th/Murphy. The detailed design drawings will be prepared beginning this summer, and he anticipates that construction will occur in Spring of 2014. We should be looking at completion of the project within the next calendar year."

• Like 1

I assume the "crazy looking building" you refer to is the Alexander (or something like that). I always thought it looked like a riverboat.

I wonder which property they are going to put the townhomes on...everything over there is built out...so I guess they'll be tearing down a house or two. Perhaps here?

https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.100315,-86.817987&spn=0.000875,0.001321&t=h&z=20

I do agree that it would be nice for Green Hills to get some sensible dense development. I just wish they could work on the mess of strip malls and mini developments that dominate the area. I think the money in that area could make for a nice semi-urban mixed use district...but there is so, so much work that needs to be done.

Yes, that sounds right.  SWC Overhill and Kirtland.

Edited by bwithers1

Jack's Bar B Que on Charlotte is now open.  Stopped in there for lunch today.  Essentially a less "gritty" version of the Downtown location.  Lot's of room and seating.  Very clean.  Much more easily accessible than the DT location in my opinion.  And of course, the food was delicious.

Hopefully this can be the start of a resurgance on this important corridor.  I imagine we will see more of this type of reuse developement down Charlotte thanks to Eleven North and whatever the Northwestern Mutual site ends up being.

Jack's Bar B Que on Charlotte is now open.  Stopped in there for lunch today.  Essentially a less "gritty" version of the Downtown location.  Lot's of room and seating.  Very clean.  Much more easily accessible than the DT location in my opinion.  And of course, the food was delicious.

Hopefully this can be the start of a resurgance on this important corridor.  I imagine we will see more of this type of reuse developement down Charlotte thanks to Eleven North and whatever the Northwestern Mutual site ends up being.

I ate there on my birthday (the 3rd)...I agree. I liked it. The downtown location has its appeal...but its often overcrowded and filled with tourists. This location is much more comfortable to sit and have a meal. It has the look of a lot of the more modern BBQ joints...clean...not exactly 'modern'...but a refined traditional feel.

I like the building. Yes, it's one story, but is an excellent example of what a little remodeling can do to a seemingly non-descript building. Yes, it has surface parking, but it's in the back. But I like the way it is set right to the street, with big open windows that peer right onto the sidewalk. If the rest of Charlotte builds up, this won't detract from the corridor. It is an asset.

Here is how the building looked before (google street view):

https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.159096,-86.79601&spn=0.003473,0.005284&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=36.159685,-86.796094&panoid=DUHjVfwCihZX4U_GXEJLdA&cbp=12,187.99,,0,2.38

Now:

http://jacksbarbque.com/images/charlotte.jpg

I wonder if they are considering adding more ground floor retail. I've heard that more retailers want into Green Hills, but there currently isn't much appropriate space available. I had also heard from people at West Elm awhile ago that Pottery Barn wants a new Green Hills location now that they're out of the mall. But they'd like a stand-alone concept similar to the West Elm. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great article in the CP about the Charlotte corridor.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/defying-predictions-charlotte-avenue-evolves-its-own-lively-eclectic-way

My feeling has been for a few years now and this area was going to have a lot happening in it over the next few years. I think there will be some announcements in the near future of Multi unit housing in the area as well as several mixed use projects. I hope I am correct and we see good chance and more reuse of buildings.

I am not as high on Charlotte as many on this board. Obviously, I want to see the street reach its full potential and be as interesting, ped-friendly and vibrant as possible. But the shortcomings are numerous: 1. the street is excessively wide and linear (with very few commercial spaces on the side streets); 2. a brutal stretch between I-440/33rd Avenue on the east and 43rd Avenue on the west; little (if any) new construction to date that would both act as a catalyst and nudge hesitant would-be developers off the fence;  mathematical realities — that is, Nashville's population growth (currently between about 1.7 percent and 2 percent annually) can accommodate the significant growth of only so many districts. As such, there will simply be some areas that we all might agree show great potential but that simply don't take off given a numbers crunch.

Now, I could see H.G. Hill Realty Co. beginning work sometime in  2014 on its building at the carwash/railroad tracks/40th Avenue. And, if so, that would be hugely helpful as it could spur some additional new construction. 

We've all been talking about Charlotte for at least two years but where is boom? In fact, I don't recall any new construction west of I-440. The adaptive reuse projects and the new businesses are great and will be part of the positive evolution of the street. Still, there has been no Fifth & Main-like building yet. Until that happens (and I don't count the Hostess site retrofit or the Climb Nashville facility in that category), i will take a very measured and realistic approach to Charlotte.

WW

We've all been talking about Charlotte for at least two years but where is boom? In fact, I don't recall any new construction west of I-440. The adaptive reuse projects and the new businesses are great and will be part of the positive evolution of the street. Still, there has been no Fifth & Main-like building yet. Until that happens (and I don't count the Hostess site retrofit or the Climb Nashville facility in that category), i will take a very measured and realistic approach to Charlotte.

WW

It starts slow. Every district that is booming now started somewhere...some of them turn more quickly than others. East Nashville, Germantown, 12th South, even the Gulch had their seeds sown a good 15-20 years ago. And all of those are still in various stages of 'work in progress.'

Also, Charlotte is a little different than the other 'booming' areas because it is a lengthy corridor rather than simply one neighborhood. It is probably most comparable to elements of East Nashville where you have some established gentrified areas, some emerging areas with new construction, some areas that still lag behind or have not felt the forces of gentrification so much, and a commercial district that has a mixed bag of funk and junk.

I don't think Charlotte 'needs' a 5th and Main project to be successful. In fact, I would argue that 5th and Main hasn't done all that much to boost East Nashville (it really needs a sister development). Let's not forget that Gallatin Road itself has areas that rival the junk on Charlotte. In fact, I would contend that Charlotte through Sylvan Park is easily more attractive than any point along Gallatin Road, and has much higher potential. The area through Sylvan Heights is bad, yes...there's no getting around that. But with developments such as Nevada Heights in the area, I can even see that stretch making an improvement. The stretch from 440 to 40 is more or less a blank slate. It could sit idle for a while...but I could see just a couple of big developments (like OneC1ty, or parts of it) could really transform the feel. The old TDOT site would be another good one. There's not another corridor that comes immediately to mind that has as much open land potential for large scale developments than that stretch of Charlotte.

I'd also like to point out that some areas don't see as much of the large scale development, but are still thriving. How long was it before 12th South started with any major building project? Even most East Nashville developments are modest in size compared to Germantown or The Gulch. Each neighborhood and corridor are different and have their own unique attributes and challenges. As popular as Sylvan Park has become, and with The Nations really starting to gain some momentum, I think it is inevitable that the rest of the corridor will see some new interest.

why use Charlotte west of 440 as an example, if we only look at west end west of 440, than there is nothing to talk about growth wise, all the growth is between 40 and 440.  

i drove down Charlotte last Wednesday and all I could think the whole time was how it is the next corridor to be redeveloped. it is already somewhat dense, but a few multi level mixed use developments would fit in perfectly and spur future development along the rest of the road.

• Like 1

why use Charlotte west of 440 as an example, if we only look at west end west of 440, than there is nothing to talk about growth wise, all the growth is between 40 and 440.  

i drove down Charlotte last Wednesday and all I could think the whole time was how it is the next corridor to be redeveloped. it is already somewhat dense, but a few multi level mixed use developments would fit in perfectly and spur future development along the rest of the road.

VolsFan,

I use that stretch to illustrate the various challenges Charlotte faces. I do agree with you that a mixed-use project or two could spur additional infill.

WW

• 2 weeks later...

Two updates for Charlotte Ave. It seems that the recently shuttered Calypso Cafe in Belle Meade (sales tax evasion?) will make way for a location on Charlotte right across from Bro's (just outside 440 on the south side of Charlotte) according to an article in Tennessean. Exciting as this may be, I find it an odd choice of location because that's not that far from their Elliston Pl franchise...maybe they're banking on some business from the One City development...(segue)

Speaking of OneCity, noticed this post on Facebook this evening from their page:

"Momentum is building with site permits achieved. Groundbreaking ahead soon!"

...looks like something's about to happen over there finally.

A new one for me- maybe others have caught this already. This is at 22nd and Clifton, just behind the gas station at 22nd and Charlotte (ie just across the street from the sheds project). Noticed it this morning after giving blood at the red cross. Images are as follows: 1. project rendering; 2. partners; 3. existing surface lot. Click here for a big rendering.

next_door.jpg

project_deets.jpg

existing_lot.jpg

Edited by chelovek

Great find, buy YUCK!

That parking lot is terrible and the fact that the building faces the parking lot makes it a "no, thank you" in my book.

Edit; Just noticed that its a women's center. Perhaps sometimes, function is more important than form. I guess convenient highly visible parking is important for a place like that.

But I still hate the building. Put the parking in the center of the building if you want it secure.

Edited by nashvillwill

Oh, I don't mind the urbanizing. And, to a point, I don't mind a few towers going up in Green Hills. Yes, I much prefer this being in Davidson County, and Green Hills rather than some other areas. I'm just saying I don't want this to be the green light for skyscrapers to be built outside of the core. 22 stories is borderline.

This isn't me complaining or opposing the development. I would just rather see the large scale stuff infill where it's really needed.