Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

• 2 weeks later...

I think Brett mentioned demo was starting for the Hill project on Charlotte. I did a drive by and there was one home down and another one looked to be vacant.

There are only a very few older non historic homes to come down. I am looking for the car wash and the loans shark place to come down. A vacant field is better than that.

Some of those houses in the H.G. Hill site are historic.  But I would say that they are in the minority in that particular stretch.  The railroad tracks are also an issue.  Overall, I am optimistic about the H.G. Hill proposal here.  But Sylvan Park needs to be careful.  In Eastwood, we have found that having lots of development go adjacent to lower-priced, unprotected residential areas tends to bring out the crush-and-run developers (you know who you are) who get carried away with maximizing their profits in an up-and-coming area. 

Sylvan Heights has some pretty stunning views of the city, by the way, and more than a few historic structures mixed in with modest mid-century cottages.

• Like 1

Massive apartment boom in Bellevue along Charlotte and exits 204-196. Don't know if these are condos or not. Saw them this weekend while driving home to see the folks. They seem to be typical suburban design for a good 5 mile stretch of Charlotte. Bellevue is trying to improve....very slowly, but the young people are still heading for the city. At least Highway 100 seems to be growing with shops and retail, but still chain businesses. The area around Highway 70 south and OHB is bustling, but with suburban traffic and suburban sprawl development. Glad I left Bellevue, but the families seem to love the generic shopping strip centers and chain restaurants.

Charlotte near the Wal-Mart has added more strip centers, and even a Dollar General has gone up at Charlotte and OHB.

Nothing new to see, just typical suburban squatter development. Squat on some land and build something with no thought about design, functionality, or pedestrian right of ways. Parking in front. You know the story.

The two homes on the site are now gone, and there were core drillers on site. Look for a late fall start.

Richland Station is now visible from Charlotte and I 40.

Looks as if they are putting the finishing touches on Climb Nashville.

The small building where the Calypso is going to go is taking forever.

There is now a sign for the Hostess building covering the old sign. There should be a lot of interior demo going on here.

Just found out about this a few days ago didn't think it would go public this fast. The restaurant supply location to become a mixed use project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/04/envisioning-the-future-of-charlotte-avenues-l-l.html

I was in that place not too long ago and was thinking what a neat space that would be for lofts like he mentions.  Very rare kind of space in Nashville.  

I have always envisioned this building being converted to lofts.

Here is the rendering as well.

6UkKzjr.png

I like it...especially the re-use of the existing building. I also like the idea of having a distillery on site. This will definitely help with the revitalization of the Charlotte corridor.

Looking forward to this project.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the NIMBY's are back:

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/4/22/green_hills_group_files_appeal_to_stop_planned_mixed_use_project

“We believe we are representing the vast majority of area residents who do not want to see Green Hills turn into a sea of skyscrapers."

Yes, because the sea of asphalt that currently sits there is SO appealing to the eye. 

• Like 3

I agree, but will you be consistent where projects are proposed that don't fit into the recent overlay, such as the proposed project at 19th and Chet Atkins which need variances for both height and use?  I have no sympathy or empathy with those who seek the variance - for the same reasons.

Quoting captainwjm:

"I agree, but will you be consistent where projects are proposed that don't fit into the recent overlay, such as the proposed project at 19th and Chet Atkins which need variances for both height and use? I have no sympathy or empathy with those who seek the variance - for the same reasons."

There is a difference between a height variance, which requires a public hearing (19th/Chet Atkins), and a technicality in an existing zoning document that allows significant height without the requirement of a variance and public hearing (Southern Land). 

I have some sympathy/empathy for the Green Hills folks who worked on the UDO.  Most people reading that document come away with the overall impression that street frontage on Hillsboro Pike is capped at 6 stories.  There is some fine-print language about additional height being allowed with a step-back.  In this case, Southern Land acquired enough parcels to allow enough of a step-back to take place for significant height to occur.  That's not an outcome that many people working on the Green Hills UDO would have thought likely at the time that the document was completed.  I'm sure that that technicality will be addressed if that document is ever revised.

At the same time, this case seems to be weak and I predict a Chancery Court decision in favor of Southern Land/Metro. 

Edited by bwithers1

There is a difference between a height variance, which requires a public hearing (19th/Chet Atkins), and a technicality in an existing zoning document that allows significant height without the requirement of a variance and public hearing (Southern Land). 

Thanks for the clarification.

I hope that just an extension of the first floor platform as the sidewalk/street slopes down, but if so, it would be nice to have steps or a bit more openness to Charlotte Avenue.  It would be a shame to cover that great exposed stone of the foundation.

Also, another tech firm has put their HQ in Nashville...  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/04/why-google-glass-for-industry-builder-chose.html

Edited by MLBrumby

I didn't see this until now, but Brett got to it first. Another difference is that the residents had an opportunity to object to the zoning when first done. In the case of the tower at 19th and Chet Atkins, nothing has been approved yet. With the height variance, the neighborhood will have a chance to voice objections to that.

Also in the case of Southern Land, they already own the land, where as, Lenar does not....yet, unless they have closed already.

I didn't see this until now, but Brett got to it first. Another difference is that the residents had an opportunity to object to the zoning when first done. In the case of the tower at 19th and Chet Atkins, nothing has been approved yet. With the height variance, the neighborhood will have a chance to voice objections to that.

Also in the case of Southern Land, they already own the land, where as, Lenar does not....yet, unless they have closed already.

The ownership status would not make a difference to the Planning Commission in terms of zoning change and height variance requests.  I think that the property owner may have to sign a quitclaim deed or something, but more often than not the applicant who appears before the Planning Commission is actually a civil engineer (Dale and Associates, Civil Site, etc), a lead architect, or another construction-industry professional working on the proposal rather than the actual property owner.

But you do bring up a good point:  sometimes investors/companies pay an option on a property and then seek a rezoning for it in hopes of achieving a certain zoning that is critical to the success of the project.  My understanding is that the option payment is non-refundable money that goes toward the purchase price.  If the rezoning request ultimately is not approved, the investors/developers sometimes walk away from the properties and forfeit their option payments. 

But this time-is-money component of monthly option payments, for example, is sometimes a factor in the developers' real or perceived rush to reach a MPC/Council decision quickly rather than to allow a deferral so that the council members can allow more community feedback.  In those cases, deferrals literally cost the developers money in the form of additional option payments.  Whereas the property owner would not incur that particular cost.

I have begun to develop a deeper appreciation for the complexity of this process as a neighborhood representative who had been in the position of working through development proposals that require coordination and negotiation between neighbors, the development teams, the Council Member, Planning Staff and the MPC/MHZC/BZA/Council. 

Interestingly... I doubt the GHNA would be opposed to 300 "garden style" apartments going up in 2/3 story buildings at that corner.  Geesh... that would blow the "traffic" issue out of the water.  If only we knew for sure.   

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/04/southern-land-undeterred-by-green-hills-lawsuit.html