Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

That's a pretty big loss. I have to wonder if it's just a losing store or if there's something about that location for them...

This gives potential to redevelop the old theater.  Maybe they could do like Melrose and put in an upscale restaurant (Sinema).  I remember going there when I was a kid when it was Bookstar.

This was surprising when I first saw the headline, but I can definitely see how having to compete with Kroger, Publix and Target would be difficult for that Harris Teeter. It's a very nice supermarket but somewhat hidden and HT is also pricier than most of its competitors.

This gives potential to redevelop the old theater.  Maybe they could do like Melrose and put in an upscale restaurant (Sinema).  I remember going there when I was a kid when it was Bookstar.

I went there to see "The Black Hole" when it was still a theater some 3 decades ago as a kid. So wonderfully cavernous and great to see a creepy sci-fi movie.

This was surprising when I first saw the headline, but I can definitely see how having to compete with Kroger, Publix and Target would be difficult for that Harris Teeter. It's a very nice supermarket but somewhat hidden and HT is also pricier than most of its competitors.

Damn, I actually am old then.  I saw The Sound of Music, when it came out, at the Belle Meade theater in '65.

As far as Harris Teeter being closed is concerned, Kroger ownership had maintained the HT line of stock, I am told, but despite having a sizable customer base in that district as well as having been drawn to from distant reaches of town, I'm sure that the nearby Publix and that Target at Lions Head (White Bridge Rd.) have given that particular HT store a run for its money.  Just as ariesjow noted, HT has tended to be pricier than competition, which in part likely had been a regional corporate decision, while in communities such as Greensboro, NC, where HT had flourished for decades, their price schedule differential had not been quite so disparately out of line with the "garden variety" supermarkets.  For quite some time, most loyals had assumed that the Belle Meade HT would have been "put on the altar" much earlier than announced, so to most of them, it seems as little surprise.  Even if the Kroger's venture with the Belle Meade HT has been proven unprofitable, Kroger does appear to have succeeded in eliminating some of the competition, in the end, against its own store nearby.

One thing that I will miss is the store's cart-olator, which ended up becoming deadly (in passionately tragic spectacle), when an elderly lady accidentally fell, reportedly by confusion, down the mechanical shopping-cart conveyor and died. (an  incident waiting to happen?)

-==-

This is really not surprising.  Since opening in 2009, this particular Harris Teeter has never been very busy, even compared to other HT stores at 21st & Blair, Hwy 70/100 and Brentwood.  The store was very large and modern, but hampered by a rear entrance, underground parking and a general lack of visibility from Harding Rd. The Publix store directly across Harding Rd. is always extremely busy.  

Since Kroger bought Harris Teeter last year, their emphasis has been on remodeling and improving existing Kroger stores, using the Green Hills Kroger as a local model.  The Kroger on Franklin Rd. in Melrose was recently renovated to appeal to the 12 South/Melrose customer base.  Apparently the Kroger store on Charlotte at White Bridge Rd. is due for a badly needed renovation and upgrade this year to appeal to customers in Sylvan Park/Nations.  The Belle Meade Kroger has received numerous face lifts but is severely hampered by its size which can't be enlarged.

Kroger, long the dominant grocery chain in Nashville, has lost significant market share in the last 10 years as Publix has rapidly expanded across the city and Middle TN region with newer stores and a much nicer shopping experience.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the huge amount of space that will be vacant once Harris Teeter is closed.  

• Like 1

Where's that thumbs down button at? Yet more wild space destroyed by a soul-less, cookie cutter subdivision. :sick:

Anybody hear about the fire in Green Hills tonight? Friend of mine posted a video of it but I can't tell where or what it was. I just know that it looked pretty big.

It seems to have been in the Burton Hills sub-district ─ Village of Boxmere (deep, back up in there, obscure from Hillsboro Rd.)

-==-