Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

True Food Kitchen Appears to be Eyeing New Green Hills Development

http://nashville.eater.com/2015/4/8/8371253/true-food-kitchen-green-hills-nashville

Good to hear...Hopefully the Southern Land project will be back starting soon.

Would you have happened to know whazzup with the Southern Land project on Richard Jones?  I realize that they may have hit a snag or two early last winter and because of the weather back a couple or few months ago, but they've bee draggin' ass for too long now, IMO.   I've heard absolutely nothing on the status of any ongoing litigation, and I've gotten a bit unsettled seeing that cordoned off WES-Junior at that site, with it being totally idle for perhaps 3 months now.

-==-

Speaking of Southern Land:

IMG_0672.jpg

Sorry for the lack of much detail in this photo--I was sitting at the stop light and snapped the best picture I could. Notice the depth below grade!

If the Green Hills-ians have their way, they might end up with their own perpetual mosquito pit a la WES! What should we call it... "Green Hole(s)"? The "Hill Hole"? Opportunity abounds.

• Like 1

Speaking of Southern Land:

If the Green Hills-ians have their way, they might end up with their own perpetual mosquito pit a la WES! What should we call it... "Green Hole(s)"? The "Hill Hole"? Opportunity abounds.

In an earlier post, I called it WES, Jr. but I think yours has better punches.  To add to yours, "Green Hell's Hole"

Since the tiny Woodmont Park and Green Hills Park are much too far away from the mainstream to benefit most Green Hills residents, maybe they can turn that hole into a small lake park, like a miniature version of Lakeside Park at the tidal lagoon known as Lake Merritt, in the heart of Oakland Ca.  They could tie it in to several nearby drainage ditches that partly form the watershed basins for both Brown's Creek to the east and Richland Creek to the west.  Stick some ducks in there, along with a couple of bobbin' buoys, and you got an instant "attraction". (for something, anyway')

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

If they can't go higher than 7 stories on Rolling Mill Hill, than Green Hills should not be able to go 16 with the Southern Land project. Nashville urban planning is just plain stupid.

And our zoning is better then some.... scary as that is.

But seriously, UDO's are great important ways to get real impactful change implemented. Green Hills just didn't anticipate that the code could be used to its fullest realization.

I attended the original meeting where the developer presented the project. It was 22 stories at that time.

Lipscomb's McFarland addition is above street level. 4e1119d85d0e7baada62cae628724e54.jpg

Looks nice... but those people are either really, really tall... or those doors are really short!

I think the artist's conception could have rendered those people better by positioning their feet some midway within that paved drive, halfway to the bushes, according to their height proportioned to the other stick figures.  He could have been more "up" on his sense of perspective and vanishing points, when he used the software (although I never paid attention 'til you mentioned it).

That thing's about 2 blocks from where I live, so I see it (and here it) twice a day.

-==-

The parking garage for Dillard's/ Green Hills Mall at the corner of Abbott Martin and Crestmoor has been demolished and core drilling began for the new Dillard's.  Unfortunately, they cut down all of the rather mature trees that lined that corner which seemed so unnecessary.  I will say that the new garage on Crestmoor that will connect to the new Dillard's does have nice landscaping and lighting, but is still a garage.  I don't understand whey they could not have had ground floor retail  facing Crestmoor with the garage above.  Unfortunately Crestmoor is a hodge podge of small ugly buildings and no connection for the most part, we should expect more.

The parking garage for Dillard's/ Green Hills Mall at the corner of Abbott Martin and Crestmoor has been demolished and core drilling began for the new Dillard's.  Unfortunately, they cut down all of the rather mature trees that lined that corner which seemed so unnecessary.  I will say that the new garage on Crestmoor that will connect to the new Dillard's does have nice landscaping and lighting, but is still a garage.  I don't understand whey they could not have had ground floor retail  facing Crestmoor with the garage above.  Unfortunately Crestmoor is a hodge podge of small ugly buildings and no connection for the most part, we should expect more.

Well, that's perennially typical Green Hills.  The only reason that any ground-level retail ever has and still does exist there is that the north-plaza side of the mall had been a strip-type shopping center back during the pre-mall years (Woolworth, Gold Circle, Gus Myer [the orignal one],...), decades before it had been expanded to become the enclosed mall as it is (before shopping centers began to be referred to as "strip malls").  Of course, there's some better sense of engagement with the strip mall between Levy's and Foxx's Doughnut Den on the east of Hillsboro Pk, the newly renovated professional space turned into Greenbrier Village along Richard Jones Rd., Hills Center at Warfield Dr., the Bedford Ave development, and a few others.  But the Mall at G-H itself?

Even what remains of the former South Central Bell office building, at the extreme west end of the plaza, has better street-level interaction than the south and west sides of the mall.  And you're right, Crestmoor and Cleghorn as a whole has left a lot to be desired in transition from that disjoining and under-utilization and the suburban-style practice of setback expanses from the roadways.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

I guess this is where I should post this.

Had a meeting today at Nashville State and snapped a few pics of the progress on the new academic building. It's very imposing on campus - great addition.

1da7ba55f18b5e00ae2a7f6c409028d0.jpg

View from inside existing student center looking onto the newly formed quad

0bbb06150916173a14e6100d39563277.jpg

View from rear parking lot into a mini "canyon" that formed between the existing student center and the new structure

44b71cc4b95dd7501c04d0a0e5ac8810.jpg

24bbaa9fd8536fe211d9218e040356bf.jpg

North facade

d317645360542ebc19b96215d81a053c.jpg

West facade

Edited by Metronashville
  • Like 4

Ron, is there anything to update on Sylvan Summit?

Actually yes. They are buying the property next to Bros on Charlotte and have more homes planned there.

Sorry about the earlier response. All of the new construction gets confusing and I thought you were talking about another small project on White Bride and not the one I just posted.

• Like 1

Empty lot on Charlotte at Old Hickory to be home to Banc Card offices. From the Tennessean...

Payment processor Banc Card of America plans to build a 10,529-square-foot office building on Charlotte Pike near Old Hickory Boulevard that will be its new headquarters.

The company expects to start construction on the $1.5 million project by early June, pending approval of its final site plan. 

B9317076867Z.1_20150422130503_000_G6SAJ2

It's no Panda Express, but will class up the neighborhood, somewhat. I was told it would be a Panda Express, so I'm a little disappointed.

I thought Panda Express was planned for the intersection of Charlotte and Hillwood Blvd where the Shell station used to be located? :dunno:  In other Charlotte Pike restaurant news, the Pollo Tropical at Nashville West seems to be moving quickly. Mmm. Corn souffle. :P