Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

I thought Panda Express was planned for the intersection of Charlotte and Hillwood Blvd where the Shell station used to be located? :dunno:  In other Charlotte Pike restaurant news, the Pollo Tropical at Nashville West seems to be moving quickly. Mmm. Corn souffle. :P

You are probably right.

post-29451-0-93179300-1430183662_thumb.p

I'm "terribly" relieved that the proposal saves my "...obscure, ..short, fat, and squatty" masonry smokestack!  It seems that the nearly the entire factory would bee deemed structurally safe, despite the contingency to raze 25 percent of the factory building for apartments plan.

(from my old Smoke Post, #1902)

L&L Discount Restaurant Supplies (Genesco-Valentine Hat) - 39th Ave. N and Charlotte Ave.

post-29451-0-31514800-1430179585_thumb.j

It's the pipes, man

Hopefully I can stop playing Russian Roulette with the wrecking ball and that old plant.  It's great that the "right" developers strive to come around at least once in a while, to not only preserve, but also to maximize the transformation of these old creatures, while hopefully protecting from loss, as much as feasibly practical.  I met the owner, Ozari, some twenty years ago, during several shopping bouts for a few stainless-steel wares at his business, and he seems a bit more zealous now in retaining his property than he did back then.

His aspirations for redevelopment and adaptive reuse of that property are far and few among those who otherwise would elect to level it and to start from scratch.  It would however be an interesting mixed-use of contemporary apartment living and industrial retail prominence (as it has been since the business evolved), a dichotomy of which I can't immediately recall anywhere else off-hand.  But even if that doesn't pan out, the owner simply is not willing to just relinquish the structure at any offer, while he doesn't intend to just sit on it.

Even with a basic rendering, I would strive for a more authentically styled industrial-mill look than what's shown for the apartment complex, somewhat more on the lines of what had been conceived a few years ago in Manayunk district of Phila, Pa.

Manayunk Yarn Mill (Phila. Pa.)

post-29451-0-08945200-1430182969_thumb.j

http://hiddencityphila.org/2012/12/new-life-looming-for-manayunks-wilde-yarn-mill/

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

Empty lot on Charlotte at Old Hickory to be home to Banc Card offices.

Such a bizarre area in terms of land uses. From Old Charlotte down there's a brewery in the old Moose Lodge building, the Moose Lodge in an old house, an Islamic private school, office condos, Dollar General with their mini-park, Pug's, the bike shop, and whatever's in what used to be a Tennessean distribution warehouse, with new and old houses in between all that. And now a headquarters for a payment processing company.

I thought Panda Express was planned for the intersection of Charlotte and Hillwood Blvd where the Shell station used to be located?

This was my understanding as well.

Looks like Lipscomb is planning to continue it's expansion to Grandview. The university president said in an address earlier this year that new dorms and parking were in the pipeline and this would seem to align with that promise. This "1-5 year" master plan and rendering were displayed on campus today.

6f8c860c026327a92af1fce3dc423b7c.jpg

747bc2a4cc8a0d424498c0777eca4271.jpg

d81a769e5de8e314db5f1e2b933d853d.jpg

e61ed78b5e4d66723b3de7624cb1a584.jpg

108fc832e12aa8a979825b0e6601e006.jpg

Edited by Metronashville
  • Like 1

Any news about the Southern Land Company project in Green Hills? Excavation work was voluntarily halted by Southern Land a few months ago pending a court decision. I would have expected this to be resolved by now and that construction would have resumed as it must be quite an expensive delay. If not, we may have another Lake Palmer fiasco in the heart of GH.

Any news about the Southern Land Company project in Green Hills? Excavation work was voluntarily halted by Southern Land a few months ago pending a court decision. I would have expected this to be resolved by now and that construction would have resumed as it must be quite an expensive delay. If not, we may have another Lake Palmer fiasco in the heart of GH.

See post #302 above.  :thumbsup:

Have you guys seen the new development on Bedford in Green Hills where the new Courtyard Marriott is located?  I drove a friend over there to stay and we both were kinda shocked at that little avenue and how nice it looked.  Tall 3-4 story buildings on both sides, using really nice stone and bricks.  It's right off of Crestmoor just past the Hampton Inn...kinda tucked away out of view.

bnagh_phototour02_zpsh0gc5qk7.jpg

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2

So this is taller than the Southern Land project?  Is Rochford's proposal on both sides of Cleghorn?  Wasn't this the site of an earlier proposal, about 8-10 stories and triangular?  

B9317177539Z.1_20150430145952_000_G31ALE

I am going to have to take a closer look. The other building you are referring to is the Green and Little project. I think that is on the other side of the Hampton Inn. This project is on the Hillsboro Rd. side of the Hampton.

As far as the height, I would say they will be close. I smell another court battle. I really think those folks that are trying to stop Southern Land. Will not win their case. I don't think their pockets will be as deep as Southern Land. They have some BIG investors.

• Like 2

I also believe that the 15-story proposal still will have a steeper hurdle.  Does anyone recall any kind of moratorium on rezoning for certain types of developments in GH, or for certain scales of proposals with existing permissive provisions of zoning in that area?

It seems that with one or two Bethesda-Md-sized structures (which actually are often taller in that DC 'burb), there would be a prolific sprouting of more in GH, once the zoning grounds becomes fertile.  The irony of all this is that the close-to-14-story GH Apts for Retired Teachers, on Abott-Martin Rd. has been in place since around 1950.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

NPR had the story this morning.  Perry Auto Sales on 36th and Charlotte sold for 2.2 million dollars to make way for a large development. The owner was interviewed and he said he cried he automatically became so wealthy at 60 years of age. He had been there since 1972.

Another business owner said he and 12 offers for his property already, but had not taken one yet. He had been at his business since 1960.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...