Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, leggy77 said:

Best One tire on the corner of Hillsboro Rd and Glenn Echo is now closed for business.   Anyone heard what is going to happen there?

No idea, but it would be a nice addition to the Hillsboro HS campus.   Not that Metro could afford the asking price. 

Have to say, though, that I'm not sorry to see the tire store gone.   I only went in there a couple of times, once last winter for a battery and another time last summer for a punctured tire.    They were the most unfriendly bunch.    I left both times and went elsewhere.    

"The Nations" is one of the coolest neighborhood names I've ever come across.  Can anybody tell me though, I keep hearing about how this neighborhood is on fire and such a major hot spot, but when I 'take a drive' through it on google streetview, it can never really seem to find anything that looks like new construction.  Where are the main hot spots for development in this neighborhood?  I'm talking certain intersections or blocks, or whatever it might be...I'm dying to virtually experience this new booming neighborhood, but finding the new development seems to be more like a Where's Waldo book for someone not in the know.

18 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

"The Nations" is one of the coolest neighborhood names I've ever come across.  Can anybody tell me though, I keep hearing about how this neighborhood is on fire and such a major hot spot, but when I 'take a drive' through it on google streetview, it can never really seem to find anything that looks like new construction.  Where are the main hot spots for development in this neighborhood?  I'm talking certain intersections or blocks, or whatever it might be...I'm dying to virtually experience this new booming neighborhood, but finding the new development seems to be more like a Where's Waldo book for someone not in the know.

Like this? Most of those that aren't under construction have since become so.

23 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

Like this? Most of those that aren't under construction have since become so.

Virtually - if you go to the corner of 54th and Kentucky Ave you can see a lot of the changes. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.159715,-86.8530118,3a,75y,199.4h,81.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8Uh_uKPx4e9LkyeUWXfNNw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 

Unfortunately the google maps street view cant really keep up with the construction. The entire stretch of Kentucky avenue between 52nd and morrow road is new construction. 

Edited by Andrew_3289
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More about the Nations project. Up to 600 homes planned. I have only seen the crude drawing of this development.  Is there another better one?  

From the Tennessean:  http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/02/18/massive-project-game-changer-nations/80487756/

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

I can see that leading to some pretty serious transportation infrastructure problems, worse that there already is, unless they ever do something with Charlotte Pike as a hold, particularly west of Lellyette St., where Charlotte narrows down.  Charlotte has been a problem for decades on the west side, and the obsolete Interstate interchange, built around 1967-68 only worsens the problem.  River Road alone is a challenge right there at Thornton's Gas.

I would just hope that this development proposal, along with other generally needed wholesale-scale initiatives, would be handled conditionally with roadway improvements begun within some foreseeable timeline.  If Charlotte is a hopeful as a corridor for exemplary urbanism, then the old rubber-stamp process with the Planning Commission (or other governance), needs to go out the door PDQ.  That big tract of forestry is one of many potentially developable pockets, which stand to become targets at an accelerated rates.  The way I see it, the only points of interaction and entry would almost have to be limited to River Road, and I can be rest assured that the affected district will rear up and raise all sorts of contentions without some concessions offered on the table.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, rookzie said:

The way I see it, the only points of interaction and entry would almost have to be limited to River Road, and I can be rest assured that the affected district will rear up and raise all sorts of contentions without some concessions offered on the table.

There is a fair amount of push-back in the Centenary area over the developments creeping up River Road and Old Charlotte Pike. River Road Pike (State Route 251) is in OK shape until it crosses over into the Indian Creek valley, but the other, local roads are narrow with no shoulder and tough alignments; they aren't built to handle suburban development to the scale desired by developers in the area. The Westchase development didn't get their entrance onto Old Charlotte Pike, and there are yard signs throughout the area opposing Greenside Estates. Still, there are plenty of apartment complexes popping up on hilly lots of questionable utility throughout.

Interestingly the Bellevue (yes, Bellevue) Community Plan published by the Planning Department conserves much of the area as rural, preserving slopes and viewsheds, yet recent developments suggest this policy might fall by the wayside. In any case the terrain to the northwest quickly rules out any densities above AR2a, not that people won't try.

• Like 1

$5.45 million paid for block on south side of Charlotte Ave. between 21st and 22nd Ave. (current home of a fire station).  This is triple what the plot was appeased for 3 years ago, No word from the buyer as to what their plans are.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/phoenix-developer-pays-scorching-price-for-prime.html

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 3.49.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 3.49.12 PM.png

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

$5.45 million paid for block on south side of Charlotte Ave. between 21st and 22nd Ave. (current home of a fire station).  This is triple what the plot was appeased for 3 years ago, No word from the buyer as to what their plans are.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/phoenix-developer-pays-scorching-price-for-prime.html

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 3.49.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 3.49.12 PM.png

Always been an ugly, bland engine company from the start.  It would not be missed too much, as long as equivalent coverage of protection could be logistically re-established in that district (say, 26th or 27th Ave or somewhere else near Charlotte Ave.)

7 hours ago, Mike G said:

According to the article, the company has already moved 1 block north of Charlotte between 27th and 26th.

Here it is under construction: https://www.google.com/maps/place/349+21st+Ave+N,+Nashville,+TN+37203/@36.1555978,-86.8155144,3a,66.8y,308.76h,89.52t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFL9aR9oep-fQDnbwvw9SOw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x886466c0a56aa419:0x310cc34ba21a4a5d

Thanks.  I had just skimmed over the article and missed.  I guess I just had coinciding intuition for that company's relocation to a site on those brownfields near Felicia St. and Delaware Ave. in the 26th-27th parallel.  Also as fortuity, that puts it in better access to the pockets of Clifton Ave. and Herman St., where unfortunately a rash of home fires develop from electrical overloads and failed heating elements due to sub-standard systems in many of these homes.

Far West Daco and mostly in Wilco.  So not sure if this is the appropriate place for this story, but a huge (sprawly) development is meeting resistance from area residents in both Davidson and Williamson counties.  At issue is the impact on the historic Natchez Trace Parkway.  The 1500 houses are planned on the Wilco side and commercial on the Daco side. From the Tennessean:  http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2016/02/28/williamson-davidson-residents-fight-850-acre-development/81078418/

12 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

That's what I don't get.  Stonehenge is doing the neighborhood such a MASSIVE solid here.  How many times has anyone come along wanting to develop that land?  I'm guessing zero.  How many more times will someone come along with that vision?  Probably not many.  Stonehenge is offering to convert a virtual no-mans-land abandoned industrial wasteland into a beautiful, walkable, safe mixed use neighborhood... and these people are going to whine about traffic?  Are you freakin' kidding me?  It's like a homeless person turning down a free full steak dinner because he prefers his steaks cooked medium rare.   It really does blow my mind how short-sighted people can be.  And don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that the potential for increased traffic is not a valid concern, but it sometimes seems like people just have blinders on when it comes to that issue to the point where it is all they are capable of focusing on.  Nevermind the fact that it would raise the value of their homes, provide increased retail options, and just create a more livable environment overall...no no, none of that matters, because they might have to share the road with a hundred more cars.  Good grief.  

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

couldn't agree more with you. People love to complain just to complain. Every project is going to have its pros and cons, but with this project i feel like the pros FAR out weigh the cons. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

That's what I don't get.  Stonehenge is doing the neighborhood such a MASSIVE solid here.  How many times has anyone come along wanting to develop that land?  I'm guessing zero.  How many more times will someone come along with that vision?  Probably not many.  Stonehenge is offering to convert a virtual no-mans-land abandoned industrial wasteland into a beautiful, walkable, safe mixed use neighborhood... and these people are going to whine about traffic?  Are you freakin' kidding me?  It's like a homeless person turning down a free full steak dinner because he prefers his steaks cooked medium rare.   It really does blow my mind how short-sighted people can be.  And don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that the potential for increased traffic is not a valid concern, but it sometimes seems like people just have blinders on when it comes to that issue to the point where it is all they are capable of focusing on.  Nevermind the fact that it would raise the value of their homes, provide increased retail options, and just create a more livable environment overall...no no, none of that matters, because they might have to share the road with a hundred more cars.  Good grief.  

We heard the same thing over here on the East Side in regards to East Side Heights. (across from the Nazarene Church.) A  lot of these wealthy faux hipster kids over here on the East Side are against everything. Look at the hell they started over a 2 1/2 story building next to Bongo Java. It is the same in Sylvan Park. A lot of these people are trust fund children who are used to extreme wealth and privilege and when you tell them a dense apartment building of renters will be moving in, they freak out.

Back in the 1970's Bellevue was a sleepy bedroom community. When dozens of apartment buildings went up in the 1970's and 1980's home owners went ballistic claiming they would lose home value if an apartment building went up down the street. Then, a lot of unregulated retail development happened which brought in strip malls and horrible cinderblock buildings and poor architecture.

Now, many of these urban communities, or now what they call "Urban Suburbs" fear the same type of thing happening. Many will say they "don't want Green Hills..." to happen along Charlotte, Sylvan Heights and elsewhere. Density scares the hell out of people, but they don't want the long commute to the suburbs, so now we have the Urban Suburbs. These people want Starbucks and Panera Bread, but they do not want the density that goes with it. 

Many of these neighborhood associations get real political and they get drunk with power knowing they can push developers and the Mayors office around. They have politicians begging for their votes, so they do what is in the best interest of their electability rather than what is good for a neighborhood and the city as a whole.

• Like 3

I feel I need to chime in here. This is getting kinda ugly. I live three blocks from this site and I believe that I speak for most in Sylvan Park who are having a problem with this development. We're not against a development in our backyard. Of course we want to see something replace that old dilapidated industrial site! What we're against is the way Stonehenge is going about this project. It's no mystery that they're not the most creative developer on the scene. That much has been discussed in this forum numerous times. I understand what comes with living within the city limits, density is going to inevitably increase and I'm all for it. But Stonehenge's plan feels poorly thought out and lacks a good mix of uses. Zero creativity. I would point to the hill center just next door as a good example of design that blends well with the neighborhood and has a good mix of uses that benefit the entire community, not just a couple of stucco clad rental boxes. I know SP gets a bad rap for stuff like this but lets pump the brakes a bit hey? We're not anti development. We're anti dumb development. Let's design something there that has a lasting impression and blends well into the neighborhood. 

• Like 1

You have to remember that a lot of folks didn't raise as many concerns over the Hill project because it was on the other side of the tracks.

The main issue seemed to be the number of units and the entire Charlotte corridor is going to get more and more. I agree Stonehenge is not the best at architecture, but they do have a formula that works. They may walk away form this one once the numbers are crunched and you may end up with nothing.. I also think they will walk away from the one next to Kroger on up Charlotte Pike.

Its all good for the new folks that moved  into these areas as the pioneers, but it seems in Nashville, they do not want to share their acre of heaven with anyone.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

You have to remember that a lot of folks didn't raise as many concerns over the Hill project because it was on the other side of the tracks.

The main issue seemed to be the number of units and the entire Charlotte corridor is going to get more and more. I agree Stonehenge is not the best at architecture, but they do have a formula that works. They may walk away form this one once the numbers are crunched and you may end up with nothing.. I also think they will walk away from the one next to Kroger on up Charlotte Pike.

Its all good for the new folks that moved  into these areas as the pioneers, but it seems in Nashville, they do not want to share their acre of heaven with anyone.

Excellent post Ron. One of your best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashveit said:

I feel I need to chime in here. This is getting kinda ugly. I live three blocks from this site and I believe that I speak for most in Sylvan Park who are having a problem with this development. We're not against a development in our backyard. Of course we want to see something replace that old dilapidated industrial site! What we're against is the way Stonehenge is going about this project. It's no mystery that they're not the most creative developer on the scene. That much has been discussed in this forum numerous times. I understand what comes with living within the city limits, density is going to inevitably increase and I'm all for it. But Stonehenge's plan feels poorly thought out and lacks a good mix of uses. Zero creativity. I would point to the hill center just next door as a good example of design that blends well with the neighborhood and has a good mix of uses that benefit the entire community, not just a couple of stucco clad rental boxes. I know SP gets a bad rap for stuff like this but lets pump the brakes a bit hey? We're not anti development. We're anti dumb development. Let's design something there that has a lasting impression and blends well into the neighborhood. 

It's not ugly, just realistic. Your point well taken, but Green Hills filed lawsuits to stop a condo building. Some in East Nashville have killed projects due to their own inability to see the entire picture. Yes, there may be some negatives but if Stonehenge pulls out, Ron is right. You will get nothing because no other developer will even try to work wit you and you will be stuck with an urban waste land.

If you take the approach of some cities, developers can build what they want on their own land without your input. As long as they are not building sex shops and the like, they could build 500 units and you would have no say so in it.

We in East Nashville lost a large urban Publix Grocery  store for Gallatin Road near 5 Points because of neighborhood leaders being too demanding, complaining about traffic, complaining about design and the like. So Public gave East Nashville the middle finger and has not offered to come back.

• Like 1