That weird retail space at the base of Plaza Towers

john_denver

• 3 months later...
  • GRDadof3 changed the title to That weird retail space at the base of Plaza Towers

Russo's is great, and I'm glad they are coming downtown.  Wishing them the best at this tough location.  Maybe they can work with the landlord/city on better signage options....  Maybe one out at Monroe and Fulton?  Bottom line, if they make themselves a draw/destination, I think they will be successful.

11 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Russo's is great, and I'm glad they are coming downtown.  Wishing them the best at this tough location.  Maybe they can work with the landlord/city on better signage options....  Maybe one out at Monroe and Fulton?  Bottom line, if they make themselves a draw/destination, I think they will be successful.

Curbside pickup and delivery options will be a huge draw for people. I think that will help them with the non-ideal location.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Gone already.  Russo's closing May 31.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/90765-russos-closing-downtown-location

Not super surprised since other things like this have struggled - although I had hoped they would make it since they have experience in the industry.  It was a nice shop.

I'm always shocked when places go out after less than a year.  I figure most businesses would plan on a bit of time before being profitable.  Maybe it was much worse than they expected. =(

3 hours ago, mgreven said:

Gone already.  Russo's closing May 31.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/90765-russos-closing-downtown-location

Not super surprised since other things like this have struggled - although I had hoped they would make it since they have experience in the industry.  It was a nice shop.

I'm always shocked when places go out after less than a year.  I figure most businesses would plan on a bit of time before being profitable.  Maybe it was much worse than they expected. =(

There were some.... Internal issues, from my understanding. Can't get into it any further.

Anyways, I noticed them cutting hours and menu items as well as grocery options. I liked it there but was not shocked once I saw everything slowly disappear

1 hour ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

There were some.... Internal issues, from my understanding. Can't get into it any further.

Anyways, I noticed them cutting hours and menu items as well as grocery options. I liked it there but was not shocked once I saw everything slowly disappear

It’s unfortunate, but I saw it coming the first time I went in there. Really nice did selection, I didn’t feel like it was much of a “market” at all. It was kind of like the food aisle at World Market. I dropped by once for lunch and ended up with really fancy crackers, a vegan bar and a fancy import soda. It was really hard to find anything grab and go (and the sandwiches were cray expensive). 

I actually shook my head the two times I went in. It seemed to fill no need. 

Joe

The sandwiches were really good, and not terrible price-wise (comparable to Panera, but much better quality). But they were inconsistent—they never quite had the ordering process streamlined, and for a while they were only offering pizza. I think they would have had more success if they had focused more on dining and less on grocery.

Bummed to see this shop close. I really enjoyed the selection of deli items and specialty items. I agree, the deli ordering was wonky and always more people working than customers inside.  I wonder if the opening of the Bridge Street Market also impacted this decision to close. 

8 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Bummed to see this shop close. I really enjoyed the selection of deli items and specialty items. I agree, the deli ordering was wonky and always more people working than customers inside.  I wonder if the opening of the Bridge Street Market also impacted this decision to close. 

I hope not,or they did the worlds worst job of competitive analysis before opening. Meijer was already vertical when they opened. :)

Joe