That weird retail space at the base of Plaza Towers

john_denver

11 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Bagger Dave's is gone. When did this happen?!

Joe

I noticed the sign today too! Not a bid surprise. $6 for 1 1/2 hours of parking to Ellis is hard to stomach, and they wouldn't validate the parking. If anyone else would like my predictions as to what retailers will not survive until the end of this year, let me know. :) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I noticed the sign today too! Not a bid surprise. $6 for 1 1/2 hours of parking to Ellis is hard to stomach, and they wouldn't validate the parking. If anyone else would like my predictions as to what retailers will not survive until the end of this year, let me know. :) 

Bagger Dave's did validate parking and it isn't an Ellis lot.  Unless you parked off site. 

32 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Bagger Dave's is gone. When did this happen?!

Joe

Today

Edited by ironyisadeadscene

Honestly i'm not surprised.   I also don't think it signals anything about chains being viable downtown.  Bagger Dave's as a brand was somewhat vague and didn't really stand out as exceptional the few times I went there.  They expanded too quick and without a solid niche. The one in Holland on US 31was open for all of about 6 months. Fridays was there for 20 years,  i'm not sure they would have necessarily left that location if CWD wasn't planning on emptying out 50 Monroe already.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJLO said:

Honestly i'm not surprised.   I also don't think it signals anything about chains being viable downtown.  Bagger Dave's as a brand was somewhat vague and didn't really stand out as exceptional the few times I went there.  They expanded too quick and without a solid niche. The one in Holland on US 31was open for all of about 6 months. Fridays was there for 20 years,  i'm not sure they would have necessarily left that location if CWD wasn't planning on emptying out 50 Monroe already.

The parent company has already said they are refocusing their efforts on their Buffalo Wild Wings franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all out of business in the next year or so. They also closed Fajita Republic, which was another concept they were toying with. 

Joe

3 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Bagger Dave's did validate parking and it isn't an Ellis lot.  Unless you parked off site. 

Today

They didn't validate when I was there. That was shortly after they opened, and I didn't go back afterward. I even asked the host and the manager if they validated because the charge was so much and they said they couldn't because they didn't own the lot. You're right though, I think it's owned by Eenhorn. 

2 hours ago, mgreven said:

I was impressed that one if the last ones in the area was the one DT.  =)

There's still the one on the East Beltline and the one on 28th in Cascade. 

No love lost from me.  Went there once and was unimpressed.  It was fine, but nothing to write home about. Chains are certainly viable downtown.  MJLO already mentioned Friday's, and BWW is doing quite well as far as I know.  It also felt like an awkward spot to me, but I suppose having plaza towers right there helps.    

24 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

isn't the Cascade location still open on 28th?   Driving by the East beltline location at night, it is always dead.  I would think a burger joint selling beer and having sports on would hold some customers, but they are dead at night.   Always seemed to be a casual business lunch kinda place.

The East Beltline is competing against 45 other restaurants on that stretch of the Beltline, in an area that is not densely populated yet (it's a drive through area for commuters headed to Rockford for the most part). Plus it's on the Northern end of the business cluster, probably out of mind for a lot of people. With two big apartment projects going in that may change a bit. And the retail going in behind it.

My wife calls it "fast food with beer," and it's relatively cheap for a family of 4 or 5. But yes, it doesn't do a whopping amount of business, Beltline or 28th (I've been to both). 

3 hours ago, arcturus said:

For those 'not surprised' tell me what others will be closing DT.

I'm not surprised Bagger Dave's closed,  but that's because of the position as a brand in the overall market.  I have no insight on other restaurants, as far as I can tell most other joints aren't really in as weak of a position as they were.  My guess would be that if other restaurants around downtown were to close, it would be because of the local restaurateurs doing their typical rebranding for tired spots that they do.   But I don't have any reason to think empty store fronts are about to pop up at all.

On 1/9/2017 at 9:20 PM, GRDadof3 said:

They didn't validate when I was there. That was shortly after they opened, and I didn't go back afterward. I even asked the host and the manager if they validated because the charge was so much and they said they couldn't because they didn't own the lot. You're right though, I think it's owned by Eenhorn. 

There's still the one on the East Beltline and the one on 28th in Cascade. 

Yes, it is Eenhoorn. And they do validate, or did while open. But maybe not RIGHT after opening.

On 1/10/2017 at 8:39 AM, arcturus said:

For those 'not surprised' tell me what others will be closing DT.

Well I wasn't surprised, but only because that's such a pedestrian dead zone.  I remarked at the start of this thread that they would need signage visible up and down Fulton or no one would know they were there (I often forgot myself), and I doubt that would have saved them regardless.  I'm starting to think a major development across the street on the SW corner of Fulton and Market would be what it takes for a business to stick at that location.

• Like 2