The Gulch 11th & Pine

smeagolsfree

Pending the sub-category, WW's piece on the boutique hotel possibility we discussed on this past Saturday meet. Honestly, him not going to comment more after reading about a "5 room boutique hotel:.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2012/12/6/gulch_could_land_boutique_hotel

Ok. As strange as this sounds, I think this is a great project. The way the article makes it sound is this;

•Existing block building will become a 5 room hotel.

•A new 700 sq ft "structure" will be built in from to house a restaurant.

Ok, so I'm not exactly sure how the economics of a 5 room hotel would work, but I'm not in the industry either. But, using a preexisting structure is always good in my book. Also, the fact that it is currently an ugly structure, with gravel parking in front, the fact that they are adding to the front with a commercial space and addressing the street is a great use in my book. Calling a 700 sq ft space a "restaurant" is kinda strange (I'm thinking more deli or bakery), but it is certainly a good thing for the neighborhood.

In all, I like this revamp and hope to see MUCH more of it in Nashville. I like shiny new towers as much as the next guy, but these types of infill projects is what MAKES a neighborhood IMO. Nashville certainly has its share of ugly old cinder block buildings. Small reuses like these are a great way to liven up an old building into a revamped neighborhood.

I think we can finally call the Gulch a "real" neighborhood.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Btw, I'm not trying to poke fun at the fact that it will be a 5 room hotel. In fact, that's what I would call genuinely "boutique". I hope more of those pop up around town.

I've stayed at so called "boutique" hotels of the modern era. To me, the only thing different about them from your average Hampton Inn is the modern decor and worthless iPod alarm clocks. I think they use the moniker "boutique" just to draw attention.

I've stayed in everything from a Motel 6 to a Four Seasons. While its nice to be pampered at a fancy hotel, nothing really makes them memorable. The only hotel I've ever stayed at in my life that I would actually call memorable was in East Manhatten (Hotel 17). It was a small place with communal bathrooms, a view of a brick wall, and an old metal gate elevator. It wasn't fancy, but it was a special place. Ever since, I've seeked out places like that when I travel.

I hope it works for these folks.

I found the building permit on this last week or week before last and told WW. It has to be a small space to work with for sure, but it is on the Gulch plan for a boutique hotel at that location from the plans I posted last week for the Gulch. Anything at this point will be an improvement.

Archived