NORA (North Orange Residential Apartments)

Jernigan

Groundbreaking: November 2012

Anticipated Opening: Spring 2014

# of Units: 246

Retail: 10,000 sqft

Stories: 6

GDC Properties Project Website: http://www.gdcproperties.com/upcomingdevs.htm

NORA will be located on a 2.5-acre site at the corner of North Orange Avenue and Marks Street in North Quarter neighborhood of downtown Orlando. The development plan for this project shows 246 one- and two-bedroom, well thought out apartment homes in a 6-story mid-rise building. The project also features a 400 space parking garage, large interior courtyard with pool and landscape features, and 10,000 square feet of neighborhood retail including a restaurant and health club. NORA is anticipated to be a LEED certified project.

News Coverage:

Orlando Business Journal - http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2012/11/27/gdc-properties-starts-work-on-downtown.html

Orlando Sentinel - http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-11-28/business/os-nora-orlando-apartment-20121128_1_orlando-s-uptown-apartments-construction

Urbanista Orlando - http://www.urbanistaorlando.com/blog/uncategorized/nora-downtown-orlando-developments-signal-improving-economy/

NORA2-580x375.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Praha I was thinking the same thing. That was probably written by some recent grad on Long Island that was over reaching in his/her market analysis. It clearly wasn't written by anyone with an intimate knowledge of Orlando's neighborhoods.

Searched for it and it seems only one other thing comes up...circa 2009...but Evolve is still active:

Evolve Design Group Earns Distinction of Orlando’s Advertising Agency 07-31-09 Both Downtown and Uptown to be promoted by Evolve ORLANDO, Fla. (July 31, 2009)

– As a result of being selected to promote Downtown Orlando through the Downtown Development Board as well as an uptown district dubbed the North Quarter, Evolve Design Group has earned the unofficial title of “Orlando’s Advertising Agency.” The Orlando-Based EDG recently reached agreement with both parties and will conduct the work concurrently.

“We have national and international clients, but our heart is in Orlando so the opportunity to work with two distinct sections of the city in this manner is an honor,” said EDG CEO Mark Calvert. “While the areas are unique, some of the objectives are similar. We are excited by the prospect of helping both regions prosper.” EDG is currently working with Orlando’s DDB on a rebranding initiative and then will move to develop a marketing campaign designed to position downtown as a destination for retail, residential and business.

One of the first orders of business for EDG regarding the Uptown area was developing the North Quarter name and branding identity. The scope of work will also include promoting the North Quarter’s retail, residential and business opportunities.

So far, i've heard North Orange, Uptown, and now North Quarter. Can we please have some kind of a distinction of what my neighborhood is that we can all unanimously call it? It's getting a little frustrating to tell people where I live and they've never heard of it.

I can't hear "North Quarter" without thinking of, "No Quarter!" - and I'm not really into pirate movies or anything.

I am a little let down that we have so much overlap in so many areas. 

Church Street Market/Church Street Station/Church Street Exchange/55 West at the Promenade/and some new one that was posted recently

SoDo/Downtown South

Mills/50 - ViMi?

If you live in Sanctuary or Star or that area, do you live in Thornton Park or South Eola - it depends on who you ask.

Technically you live in South Eola if you are in the Sanctuary/Star buildings. The sketchy boundary for Thornton Park is Summerlin.

North Quarter seems more Southern colloquial (think French Quarter, Spanish Quarter, Latin Quarter, etc), whereas, Uptown is clearly a reference to NYC. I don't particularly care for either name as they do not provide any real representation of the neighborhood. Therein lies the issue -- what does Uptown represent? What is the character of Uptown and why do people chose to live there? Is there a more appropriate local name for this area? Ivanhoe?

Technically you live in South Eola if you are in the Sanctuary/Star buildings. The sketchy boundary for Thornton Park is Summerlin.

North Quarter seems more Southern colloquial (think French Quarter, Spanish Quarter, Latin Quarter, etc), whereas, Uptown is clearly a reference to NYC. I don't particularly care for either name as they do not provide any real representation of the neighborhood. Therein lies the issue -- what does Uptown represent? What is the character of Uptown and why do people chose to live there? Is there a more appropriate local name for this area? Ivanhoe?

I think you've hit the dilemma, praha, there's never really been a name for the area as, certainly within my lifetime, it's been a no-man's land between downtown and Ivanhoe. It's probably notable that the school in the area (now the senior center) was named for the street and not the neighborhood (Marks St.) Its nearly identical twin (where McNamara Pontiac was), in contrast, was named after the neighborhood (Concord Park). I remember when Florida National  Bank opened their tower up there in the 1960's and flooded the local airwaves with TV ads about how convenient it was compared to the downtown banks (this was before branch banking), there was never a mention of the neighborhood, just the streets surrounding it. Before the speculators tore down everything, the area was most notable for being the lots where downtown car dealers stored their new and used cars. I'm with Xander in that let's just decide on a name; heck, the city could name it after some notable (anyone but Dr. Phillips please - it's getting a little crazy having everything named after him.)

OK, so who are some notable Orlando residents?

Jack Kerouac, author (who lived a mile from Uptown)

Zora Neal Hurston, author

John Watts Young, astronaut

Marshall Warren Nirenberg, Nobel Prize Winner

Any of these people are worthy of recognition, whether it be a statue, plaza, neighborhood, square, etc.

Jack Kerouac Square - I can get behind that!

OK, so who are some notable Orlando residents?

Jack Kerouac, author (who lived a mile from Uptown)

Zora Neal Hurston, author

John Watts Young, astronaut

Marshall Warren Nirenberg, Nobel Prize Winner

Any of these people are worthy of recognition, whether it be a statue, plaza, neighborhood, square, etc.

Jack Kerouac Square - I can get behind that!

Zora has the state office building and John Young has a road already so Kerouac wins by default!

I think you've hit the dilemma, praha, there's never really been a name for the area as, certainly within my lifetime, it's been a no-man's land between downtown and Ivanhoe. It's probably notable that the school in the area (now the senior center) was named for the street and not the neighborhood (Marks St.) Its nearly identical twin (where McNamara Pontiac was), in contrast, was named after the neighborhood (Concord Park). I remember when Florida National  Bank opened their tower up there in the 1960's and flooded the local airwaves with TV ads about how convenient it was compared to the downtown banks (this was before branch banking), there was never a mention of the neighborhood, just the streets surrounding it. Before the speculators tore down everything, the area was most notable for being the lots where downtown car dealers stored their new and used cars. I'm with Xander in that let's just decide on a name; heck, the city could name it after some notable (anyone but Dr. Phillips please - it's getting a little crazy having everything named after him.)

Speaking of Marks Street Elementary, here's a story about it by Joy Wallace Dickinson in the Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-1202-20121202,0,5409506.column

They're really coming along with development of this building. There is a huge crew pouring concrete, installing utilities and working like crazy. It's good to see this building being built out of concrete instead of the rickety plywood approach Steel House used. I would NEVER live in that place.

Then you might also want to avoid Park North at Cheney Place, Uptown Place and the Grande; they're all wood frame construction. I don't see a problem renting a unit in one of those condos. I just wouldn't want to own a unit in any of those buildings when crap hits the fan (i.e. water damage, termites).

I wasn't around for the last boom. What I can remember was the opposite - mainly 55 West taking forever. So my question is - were things this fast-paced before? It almost feels like an arms race seeing how fast Steel House, Sky House and NORA are going up. I know that can be weighed against other projects that are dragging their heels - but the apartments, at least, are all flying.

To secure bank financing, developers typically need a commitment for a specific percentage occupancy in condos and office buildings.  Building advertising campaigns to achieve this can take years.  This is not the case for apartments, hence the must quicker ground breakings this year.

An article is in the Sentinel today detailing the new North Quarter brand and the reason they want to get away from the name Uptown.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-downtown-orlando-apartments-20121207,0,170360.story

"Owen Beitsch, vice president of Orlando-based Real Estate Research Consultants, said the area's new residential dynamic is a "wonderful complement" to the rest of downtown, though he questioned whether it will translate into more shops in the neighborhood.

The expected influx of residents will be mostly singles and young couples who will purchase little beyond food and entertainment nearby, Beitsch said. They would have more disposable income if they did not own cars, he said.

"These residents will still own cars and can choose to use them for discretionary purposes and retail activities away from downtown where the options are excellent and easily accessible," he said."

Exactly what I feared. An apartment ghetto - "North Quarter" is more apropos than they realize. They're building another Kirkman Road neighborhood right in the middle of town.

I don't think it will be too homogenous given its proximity to Downtown, Ivanhoe, and Mills50 / Llittle Vietnam. With the existing and future dining options and expanded Lymmo service you're never far from food, bars, offices, etc.

I'm still not digging "North Quarter." It just doesn't make any sense. Where are East, West, and South Quarters? Or where is the French influence to warrant the term "quartier"? It's not even close to being "north" anything. It's culturally and geographically irrelevant. Orlando is a city stretched lengthwise along I-4 -- words like Up(town) and Mid(town) make way more sense. /rant

This neighborhood is FAR from being an "apartment ghetto". And regarding it not being "north" anything, it actually is. It's North Orange Avenue, so I understand the reference, but just because a marketing firm comes in and decides to deem an area "North Quarter" doesn't mean the name is changed. It's still Uptown, as far as the city is concerned.

"Owen Beitsch, vice president of Orlando-based Real Estate Research Consultants, said the area's new residential dynamic is a "wonderful complement" to the rest of downtown, though he questioned whether it will translate into more shops in the neighborhood.

The expected influx of residents will be mostly singles and young couples who will purchase little beyond food and entertainment nearby, Beitsch said. They would have more disposable income if they did not own cars, he said.

"These residents will still own cars and can choose to use them for discretionary purposes and retail activities away from downtown where the options are excellent and easily accessible," he said."

Exactly what I feared. An apartment ghetto - "North Quarter" is more apropos than they realize. They're building another Kirkman Road neighborhood right in the middle of town.

That's a little harsh considering our current economy does not support office or condo development at the moment. Downtown Orlando is classified as having a rapid population growth, however, we lack housing that truly reflects the average income. Developments like NORA all boil down to the opportunity to live as close to downtown as possible while still remaining within the realm of affordability. Why else would someone choose to live at Steel House? Steel House is located at one of the noisiest intersections with views of traffic on Orange Ave/Colonial Dr, but instead the developers will coo about the salt water pool & the circuit training gym setup. People are going to live at that intersection because they can't afford to live within the downtown core, so they compromise by forming a balance of: 1) Proximity to downtown and 2) Having nicer finishes and decent amenities (read: updated apartment when compared to some of the older apartments within the core). The average salary in Orlando for 2011 was about 39,000. If you live within your means you should only spend a maximum of 25% of your income towards rent @ $800-850/month plus another 5% on utilities (not including cable, etc). This is why you see people shacking up with roommates to afford rent at 55W, Paramount, the Vue etc. They want a nice pad, but in order to afford it they have to compromise on privacy by sharing units. I think income is the reason why a highrise would not have worked in the Uptown location, because someone willing to spend more $$ to live in a highrise would likely want to live within the d/t core and be able to walk to their destinations, etc. Indiscriminately plopping down highrises where there is no demand is basically the equivalent of building Chinese ghost cities.

I like the North Orange/Uptown designation because it speaks of the actual location. Keep the acronym "NORA" but reconfigure the components to reflect the location (North ORange Ave) and that could give the neighborhood an edge (like Tribeca in NYC). I also like South Ivanhoe Village. The Ivanhoe Village boundary of the Main Street program terminates just north of NORA and could extend to encompass that little strip of land.

Archived