NORA (North Orange Residential Apartments)

Jernigan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like naming babies before they come out and pretending they will grow into a personality.  That is why people end up with nicknames.  NoDo, SoDo or whatever is not a nickname.  Hardly anyone even lives north of Colonial right now.  This area is about to fill in.  It just seems like a name for the area will happen on its own.  Little Saigon gets its name because of the feel of the neighborhood.  ViMi (Virginia Mills), SoDo (South Downtown), NoDo (North Downtown) and other contractions that don't convey a feel for a neighborhood whatsoever are lame.  It lacks imagination and does nothing but describe a location.  How does a location persuade anyone to go to it?  Little Saigon at least says there is a possibility of pho, banh mi, and perhaps something new culturally to someone that doesn't know about the Vietnamese people.  ViMi doesn't say that there is an arts and primarily gay district located within it.  If anything, it sounds like there would be Italian restaurants.  Maybe the center could create rainbow colored T-shirts that say Vimi, Vidi, Vici!  Sorry for sounding off, but some of these names that people are throwing around are lame.  Oh, I approve of the Milk District name.  It has history, what little Orlando has.

Nothing embodies the spirit of this new 24/7 neighborhood quite like the most recent announcement of another senior center.

Never thought of that.

But you have a point.

It's Orlando's hip, trendy new neighborhood... just ask Thelma & Gertie!!!

They'll be out rockin' every night.... :alc:

...on the front porch, that is!!! :shades:

It's like naming babies before they come out and pretending they will grow into a personality.  That is why people end up with nicknames.  NoDo, SoDo or whatever is not a nickname.  Hardly anyone even lives north of Colonial right now.  This area is about to fill in.  It just seems like a name for the area will happen on its own.  Little Saigon gets its name because of the feel of the neighborhood.  ViMi (Virginia Mills), SoDo (South Downtown), NoDo (North Downtown) and other contractions that don't convey a feel for a neighborhood whatsoever are lame.  It lacks imagination and does nothing but describe a location.  How does a location persuade anyone to go to it?  Little Saigon at least says there is a possibility of pho, banh mi, and perhaps something new culturally to someone that doesn't know about the Vietnamese people.  ViMi doesn't say that there is an arts and primarily gay district located within it.  If anything, it sounds like there would be Italian restaurants.  Maybe the center could create rainbow colored T-shirts that say Vimi, Vidi, Vici!  Sorry for sounding off, but some of these names that people are throwing around are lame.  Oh, I approve of the Milk District name.  It has history, what little Orlando has.

I'm fairly certain Orlando's "SoDo" is a play on NYC's "SoHo", which itself is an abbreviation for a location. I think it was supposed to be kind of tongue in cheek & not meant to be taken so analytically.

Emphasis on the "anal".... :thumbsup:

All "Little Saigon" says to me is "lotsa Vietnamese restaurants".

Exactly.  Little Saigon describes the neighborhood.  It's fitting, because of those restaurants.

The city can't even make up its mind on what to call the area south of Lucerne.  You see Downtown South (city sponsored banners) and SoDo (named by a developer).  I think they should call that area Gore and if anyone asks, it is where they take organs out of people.  :)

Exactly.  Little Saigon describes the neighborhood.  It's fitting, because of those restaurants.

The city can't even make up its mind on what to call the area south of Lucerne.  You see Downtown South (city sponsored banners) and SoDo (named by a developer).  I think they should call that area Gore and if anyone asks, it is where they take organs out of people.   :)

Well.... how would you describe the area south of downtown Orlando in a simple acronym, that describes what is basically a bland, run-of-the-mill, typical American neighborhood?

I just can't think of anything that is so unsual or special that it rates a name that describes anything other than it's location.

A Target shopping center?

Maybe they shoulda called it TarDo!!! :rofl:

Just kidding... :rolleyes:

The oh-so-savvy marketing consultants trying to make "North Quarter" happen remind me of the character in "Mean Girls" who wanted everyone to start using the word "fetch." Sorry, but neither North Quarter of Fetch is going to happen. But I'm sure the consultants have all been paid handsomely for their efforts, despite no chance of success.

I felt the same way about the push to refer to the Little Saigon area as "ViMi." Not only did it feel artificial, I was never quite sure how to pronounce it (Vee-me? Vie-my? Oy vey!). "Mills 50" isn't that much better, but it at least gives you an idea of the location. And I understand why businesses in the area would want to expand beyond the Little Saigon name (there's a lot more than Vietnamese restaurants in the area now).

The Milk District was an awesome concept and has grown quite organically. It seems like it's here to stay and it would be nice to see the city adopt/promote this hipster 'hood. Of course, as soon as The Man gets involved, I guess it will no longer be hip.

The oh-so-savvy marketing consultants trying to make "North Quarter" happen remind me of the character in "Mean Girls" who wanted everyone to start using the word "fetch." Sorry, but neither North Quarter of Fetch is going to happen. But I'm sure the consultants have all been paid handsomely for their efforts, despite no chance of success.

I felt the same way about the push to refer to the Little Saigon area as "ViMi." Not only did it feel artificial, I was never quite sure how to pronounce it (Vee-me? Vie-my? Oy vey!). "Mills 50" isn't that much better, but it at least gives you an idea of the location. And I understand why businesses in the area would want to expand beyond the Little Saigon name (there's a lot more than Vietnamese restaurants in the area now).

The Milk District was an awesome concept and has grown quite organically. It seems like it's here to stay and it would be nice to see the city adopt/promote this hipster 'hood. Of course, as soon as The Man gets involved, I guess it will no longer be hip.

That's okay. The hipsters also take residence in Audubon Park. Perhaps they'll next make the area surrounding Kinneret Towers. Nothing says "ironic" like having fun around the Jewish senior center.

That's okay. The hipsters also take residence in Audubon Park. Perhaps they'll next make the area surrounding Kinneret Towers. Nothing says "ironic" like having fun around the Jewish senior center.

I know hipsters that lived across Margaret Ct from Kinneret before it was cool.

• 2 weeks later...

There really seems to be an awful lot of infrastructure being done on this property, because they're still putting in pipes, pouring foundation and haven't started going vertical yet. Glad they seem to be doing it right, but they're taking their time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived