Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

41 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Single story!?

How does something without at least 2 floors of residences get approved along that section of 12 South?

I wondered about that too. I'm guessing it's in keeping with the neighboring buildings and to add housing (a second/third floor)  would likely have triggered additional parking needs. It will hurt to lose the existing parking lot, which is generally full most days/evenings. There is a whole lot of new retail/restaurant space under construction on 12 South, currently. I hope it gets filled.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

I wondered about that too. I'm guessing it's in keeping with the neighboring buildings and to add housing (a second/third floor)  would likely have triggered additional parking needs. It will hurt to lose the existing parking lot, which is generally full most days/evenings. There is a whole lot of new retail/restaurant space under construction on 12 South, currently. I hope it gets filled.

It's right across the street from the tallest building on the road. Hopefully with the new parking requirements (or lack there of) they can make something work.

Need more underground parking along that street. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

It's right across the street from the tallest building on the road. Hopefully with the new parking requirements (or lack there of) they can make something work.

Need more underground parking along that street. 

I hope you are being funny!  Again if developers do not have to put parking in, they will not do it.

33 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I hope you are being funny!  Again if developers do not have to put parking in, they will not do it.

No I agree with you on that. I'm saying IF it was to be done, I'd prefer it underground. I don't hate all parking it has it's place. I would like it to be done smarter and in collaboration across multiple projects. 

Not the 4 levels of parking for 3 levels of residences. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BNAfan said:

Hi All,

Noted that the coin-op laundry at the corner of 21st and Blair has closed.  It typically seemed fairly busy.  Curious whether the property is being redeveloped.  Any rumblings out there?  

Wow---that place is an institution---I think its been in business for at least 50 years.  I used to do laundry there in the early 90s. Certainly a prime location for something.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Wow---that place is an institution---I think its been in business for at least 50 years.  I used to do laundry there in the early 90s. Certainly a prime location for something.

Was partial to Harvey Washbangers since you could have a beer while you did your laundry,  but this one was a charming throwback as well.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BNAfan said:

Hi All,

Noted that the coin-op laundry at the corner of 21st and Blair has closed.  It typically seemed fairly busy.  Curious whether the property is being redeveloped.  Any rumblings out there?  

I looked into the property records and epermits and don't see anything for the address . No new ownership, unless it was too recent and hasn't been updated. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:10 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Do you mean this from a financial perspective or from parking mandates? It still seems like developers are extremely hesitant to not provide ample parking with their projects even in the areas where they are not mandated to do so. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Two_wheels said:

Do you mean this from a financial perspective or from parking mandates? It still seems like developers are extremely hesitant to not provide ample parking with their projects even in the areas where they are not mandated to do so. 

They should be hesitant. The developers that have rolled the dice with low parking ratios have severely suffered on leaseup. 

• Like 1

^ What is that fabric in those "window" openings?  Is that planned atop an older one-story building? 

EDIT:  Apologies for not incorporating this in my first comment/question... but I just located this proposal on a map.  A few observations for indulging me...

1.  Did Nashville ever have a 13th Avenue, or was that bowing to the old superstitions about the number? 

2.  I've thought the blocks (+/-) between 12th&14th and Philips&Herman would be ideal for a MLB stadium.  Anyone have any comments on that? 

3.  I'm familiar with corporate legal issues surrounding legacy factories (but not rr tracks); and thus I keep wondering if a mayor who took leadership on transit would be able to propose and strike a deal with CSX to utilize the tracks through the heart of downtown for a rail solution to their increasing transit needs. I recall about a year ago when UT-K school of architecture planned a study for CSX to investigate a relocation of their routes through Nashville, but nothing since then.  Anyone know anything about that?  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1