Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

The U.S. Green Building Council has designated the Vanderbilt University Engineering and Science Building and Eskind Biomedical Library with LEED Gold status.

The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design ranking system certifies buildings based on environmental and cost-saving green features. Marked with a plaque, these two buildings will be the 19th and 20th LEED certified structures on the VU campus.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/people/article/21075394/of-note-28-june-2019

• Like 3

Agree that the inside counts for much more than the exterior (and I have no problems with the hospital's interior), but I don't understand why the new addition has to be so mismatched on the outside. I suppose I'm particularly bothered because I have to walk through/around this hospital every day to get to work. I get that cost probably factored into the cladding choices, but if they couldn't figure out how to match the original colors, even contrasting colors would be preferable to every color being slightly off. And everything just loses detail and texture as you go up, too - the nice rounded glass columns suddenly become perfectly flat, the plaid-like pattern on the walls between the windows is entirely lost, the speckling and dimpling on the beige stone gives way to flat blocks of smooth gray gradients. It's like juxtaposing a stick figure with a photo of a human - each makes sense in isolation (I'm a big fan of the xkcd comic aesthetic - I have nothing against stick figures), but the combination makes it impossible to ignore the gross simplification of the original form.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2019 at 10:02 PM, AsianintheNations said:

And everything just loses detail and texture as you go up, too - the nice rounded glass columns suddenly become perfectly flat, the plaid-like pattern on the walls between the windows is entirely lost, the speckling and dimpling on the beige stone gives way to flat blocks of smooth gray gradients. It's like juxtaposing a stick figure with a photo of a human - each makes sense in isolation (I'm a big fan of the xkcd comic aesthetic - I have nothing against stick figures), but the combination makes it impossible to ignore the gross simplification of the original form.

Totally makes sense- I don't have to walk by it at all.

Also, I love xkcd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Some info released regarding the fall opening of the E3 Chophouse in the V21 complex at the NE corner of Wedgewood and 21st Ave. South in Hillsboro Village. The 13,000 sq. ft. space will span 3 floors including a rooftop bar (the only one in The Village). 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/07/15/details-celebrity-owned-hillsboro-village-e-3-steakhouse-adam-laroche-luke-bryan-jason-aldean/1713836001/

955933490_E3ChophouseV21July162019render.png.3666904cf44f25f36a4d0f104ce57e68.png

Drove by here a couple of days ago and was reminded that the restaurant opening seems to be taking forever.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:06 AM, markhollin said:

Some info released regarding the fall opening of the E3 Chophouse in the V21 complex at the NE corner of Wedgewood and 21st Ave. South in Hillsboro Village. The 13,000 sq. ft. space will span 3 floors including a rooftop bar (the only one in The Village). 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/07/15/details-celebrity-owned-hillsboro-village-e-3-steakhouse-adam-laroche-luke-bryan-jason-aldean/1713836001/

955933490_E3ChophouseV21July162019render.png.3666904cf44f25f36a4d0f104ce57e68.png

A sample of the menu from the Colorado location indicates ridiculously high prices.  I love eating out but our prices are literally approaching and in many cases surpassing New York and other major cities, ESPECIALLY those restaurants/bars that add the 15.25% liquor tax to the menu price added to the sales tax of 9.25% for a whopping 24.5% tax on the price of liquor/wine.  For anyone interested, I'm keeping a list of the restaurants that only add the sales tax to the price on the menu.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

ESPECIALLY those restaurants/bars that add the 15.25% liquor tax to the menu price added to the sales tax of 9.25% for a whopping 24.5% tax on the price of liquor/wine.  For anyone interested, I'm keeping a list of the restaurants that only add the sales tax to the price on the menu.  

Are you saying them you don't want to add the liquor tax onto the menu price, I'm confused. 

17 hours ago, markhollin said:

As has been rumored before, it is now official that International Market at 2010 Belmont Blvd. will close on July 31st to make way for the  new Belmont Univ. Performing Arts Center.  It will be resurrected in a new location, directly across in the structure also owned by the Myint family (who operate International Market) that is currently "blvd" restaurant.  

The future restaurant is expected to open "in the coming months," and  will offer a steam table, lunch specials, a bar, groceries and gifts.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21078555/fairlane-cafe-to-include-delicatessen

It's a better use of the "blvd" space. The restaurant has never done well. Adjacent Chago's and PM also have suffered with the popularity of 12 South. International Market definitely has a following.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 3:55 PM, PaulChinetti said:

Are you saying them you don't want to add the liquor tax onto the menu price, I'm confused. 

No, I'm saying that for years until recently the liquor tax was included in the menu price.  A change a couple of years ago, now allows them to add the liquor tax to the price on the menu.  For example, J. Alexanders, Char, True Food Kitchen to name a few include the liquor tax in the menu price.  A $12 glass of wine only adds the 9.25% sales tax.  Others, including most of the downtown hotel bars, Bricktops, Urban Grub, etc. add 15.25% to a $12 glass of wine and then the normal sales tax.  All pay the tax, it just differs from those that are including it and those that don't.  On a $40 bottle of wine, it would cost you $49.80 at Bricktops and $43.70 at J. Alexanders.  

Edited by GreenHillsBoy
  • Like 1