Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

On 7/27/2019 at 10:43 AM, MLBrumby said:

Holy smoke! I mean DUST!  I really expected there to be a far bigger mound of rubble left. 

Yeah, that was my definitely impression at first, too. But looking back at the beginning again, the moat surrounding the building is fairly deep (maybe around two stories deep) and is completely filled in at the end, and a fair bit of the material comprising the building was already removed a priori (the "jenga" strips as someone termed them, all but one window for some reason, and presumably all the lousy dorm furniture). So I think I can convince myself that the resulting pile that is visible above ground is about right. But thinking about what was removed and what was left behind got me thinking ... do they remove toilets beforehand for implosions? Or are there hundreds of toilets (and sinks) piled up in the rubble?

• Like 2

Pearlmark Company will go before Metro Board of Zoning Appeals today to seek a variance to allow for 121,600 sq. ft. of office space above the 5 story garage  they purchased at 900 18th Ave. South.  The total height could then be as much as 129 feet (about 10-12 stories), which is about 24 ft. higher than current code allows for that area. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21080534/w-hotel-project-progresses

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:16 AM, markhollin said:

Pearlmark Company will go before Metro Board of Zoning Appeals today to seek a variance to allow for 121,600 sq. ft. of office space above the 5 story garage  they purchased at 900 18th Ave. South.  The total height could then be as much as 129 feet (about 10-12 stories), which is about 24 ft. higher than current code allows for that area. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21080534/w-hotel-project-progresses

Vote deferred till September for this item.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Vandy makes a huge real estate purchase worth $103 million for the land and buildings that encompass Holiday Inn on West End, Redlands Grille (formerly J. Alexanders), and an office building at 2609-2613 West End Ave. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21080876/vanderbilt-buys-west-end-site-for-138m

So, Vandy now owns basically this entire triangular block except for the Wendy's restaurant in the upper right corner:

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 10.05.07 AM.png

Site of their NEW stadium perhaps? I can't imagine doing away with that Holiday Inn as it's got to be booked all the time. Gotta admit it's pretty dumpy. From photos I've seen, I think it's around 50 years old. 

Funny that both my wife and I are alums of VU, but between us we know nothing about what's going on there anymore. Not that we don't try. We're just not with the 'in' crowd. Still irked that they've kept their plans for their Graduate housing campus so tightly wrapped.

I sent this to WW yesterday as I was thinking about this.

Just some random thoughts on what Vanderbilt can do with the extra land they bought if they are buying it for the athletic dept. 

One, is they build a new baseball stadium on the new land and rebuild the new football stadium with the extra land they would have without the baseball stadium.

Two, is rebuild Memorial gymnasium on the new land and the same as above.

Three, is a new basketball and baseball facility on the new land  and a new much more expanded football facility on the old land.

Four, is to close Natchez and tear down the football stadium and position it longways where it would be on the old and new land.

The acreage of the newly acquired land is about the same that the football stadium sits on now but the configuration would be a challenge to build a new facility on that footprint.

With option 1,2,3, or 4 they would or could close Natchez.
  • Like 4

There is an incredible amount of land there, when you consider those gigantic parking lots. It would hurt for a few years while things where being built, rebuilt and moved but in the end, they could have a new new baseball field, basketball gym, and a new football stadium. 

Make parking lot 73A a 4-5 story garage, move the baseball field down, tear down the old stadium and block natchez, make that green area a grove like situation like Ole Miss. Make the black a parking garage or something else football related. 

I don't think they would move Memorial, lots of history but who knows. The indoor practice football field I doubt would go anywhere as that's pretty new, since it's from the James Franklin days. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screen-Shot-2019-08-05-at-2.15.00-PM.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Screen-Shot-2019-08-05-at-2.15.00-PM.jpg

What I would do is push the football stadium further east right up against Memorial to leave as much open space in the green area you have....and possibly even move the football stadium down a hair (south) towards Neely.  Then...I would build a new state-of-the-art baseball stadium along West End, along with a baseball indoor workout facility (like all the schools have)...and also include a new basketball indoor facility / offices just south of Memorial where the baseball field currently is (in the black area).

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2

On 8/5/2019 at 5:18 PM, titanhog said:

What I would do is push the football stadium further east right up against Memorial to leave as much open space in the green area you have....and possibly even move the football stadium down a hair (south) towards Neely.  Then...I would build a new state-of-the-art baseball stadium along West End, along with a baseball indoor workout facility (like all the schools have)...and also include a new basketball indoor facility / offices just south of Memorial where the baseball field currently is (in the black area).

While this is most likely a long-term play and nothing will be done in the immediate future (read at least 10-15 years), this acquisition could be transformative for both the university and its relationship to Centennial Park. Remember that Vandy already owns 2525 West End so it now owns the entire West End frontage across from Centennial. Maybe have the stadium on/near West End and open up Centennial for tailgating/game day activities? 

As for Memorial Gym, as a Vandy alum I would have no issue with them building a new basketball arena and renovating/refurbishing the existing Memorial Gym into a new rec center. As far as day to day convenience, the current rec center and the basketball arena should switch places to put the rec center closer to the dorms, etc. 

Edited by NashWellington11
  • Like 3