Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

20 minutes ago, henburg said:

It would be a really great place for a pocket park or even just some small retail buildings built up to the street. Of course, neither of those will likely happen because it's somehow more profitable to just tear down the houses. 

Those are all inhabited by very strong businesses (Fifth Third Bank, National Academy of Recording Sciences, Overland Motors, etc.) and I don't see them moving anytime soon.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Those are all inhabited by very strong businesses (Fifth Third Bank, National Academy of Recording Sciences, Overland Motors, etc.) and I don't see them moving anytime soon.

I was envisioning it replacing the small parking lot in front of the houses, do you think that would be plausible in the future? I know there is a decent amount of street parking consistently available surrounding those homes.

44 minutes ago, henburg said:

I was envisioning it replacing the small parking lot in front of the houses, do you think that would be plausible in the future? I know there is a decent amount of street parking consistently available surrounding those homes.

That surface lot in front is pretty much the only parking available for those businesses. The spaces on surrounding streets are usually full with residents in that neighborhood.

The little strip park in front of the lot that hugs Wedgewood is utilized by folks in the community to walk their dogs, etc.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 5.08.23 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Metro Board of Zoning Appeals has deferred voting on the height variance for the Pearlmark project being proposed for 900 18th Ave. South (9 stories, about 120 ft., 122,000 sq. ft. of office space).  No word on when this will come up again.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21088156/work-to-begin-on-nes-substation

20 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Love that project, but... and i know we all say this all the time so it's beating a dead horse at this point... I've had it with the power lines!  That above is one of the more egregious examples I've seen.  

I'm with you. At what point does all of that get stuffed underground. Say this project for example, maybe it doesn't make sense for a 2-3 story building but when does it, 4, 6, 8, 10? Does the city or NES have a say in that?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, PaulChinetti said:

I'm with you. At what point does all of that get stuffed underground. Say this project for example, maybe it doesn't make sense for a 2-3 story building but when does it, 4, 6, 8, 10? Does the city or NES have a say in that?

NES has ultimate control over the lines, but getting an underground effort going has been tough. NES has plans all around the city for upgrades and changes, but if a development is not included in that plan it’s hard.  OR the developer has to pay a handsome fee to get NES to do the work. 

• Like 3

Linden Row (3 stories, 38 townhomes at 2400 21st Ave. South) has announced that 25 of the residences are already under contract. Construction just began 6 weeks ago.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21090459/two-sites-for-planned-gulch-hotel-sell-for-collective-8m

Linden Row, Oct 3, 2019.png

• Like 2

The foursquare house at 1024 17th Ave. South (3 stories, 5,980 sq. ft. built in 1925) that has served music businesses for the past several decades, has been sold for $1.3 million. No word on new owner's plans.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21091431/music-row-property-sells-for-13m

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 9.00.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 9.00.54 AM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 3.06.36 PM.png

I get that artist renderings usually leave out or gloss over some of the surrounding buildings/properties, but what is with this lush green lawn that is not now, nor will it ever be there? That is not even close to the vibe of this part of town. Unsurprisingly, the architect specializes in campus architecture. 

1 hour ago, NashWellington11 said:

I get that artist renderings usually leave out or gloss over some of the surrounding buildings/properties, but what is with this lush green lawn that is not now, nor will it ever be there? That is not even close to the vibe of this part of town. Unsurprisingly, the architect specializes in campus architecture. 

This lawn will back up to the Hampton Inn. Keep in mind that Vanderbilt will eventually be extending campus out here from 21st. With that in mind, it makes more sense.

• Like 1

Another studio that has recorded numerous hit records, OmniSound at 1806 Division St., (which was built in 1986) is up for sale at $4.25 million.  It is zoned to allow for a mixed-use building of up to 15 floors or a maximum of 20 stories if music-related uses are incorporated via the Metro Planning Department’s Music Row Vision Plan.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21091752/recording-studio-site-in-midtown-for-sale

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 7.59.22 AM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, 12Mouth said:

This lawn will back up to the Hampton Inn. Keep in mind that Vanderbilt will eventually be extending campus out here from 21st. With that in mind, it makes more sense.

Vandy owns pretty much everything between this site and the law school. They have long planned an administration building(s) on the vast parking lot along 21st to get some of the non-student oriented departments and staff off of the main campus to open up space for student uses.

Where did you see a master plan extending the campus to this property with open lawns, etc.? I used to work closely with Vandy's campus planning and open lawns were never part of the plan for this area. They have piecemeal landholdings all around the core campus but that doesn't mean that the "campus" (lawns, paths, etc.) is going to be extended there.

Even if it is their intention now, I don't think an extension of the open lawn type of campus is appropriate for this area.  I would envision more urban-oriented grad school buildings for the business school and law school (like Northwestern, NYU, etc.) to get them off of the main campus and improve accessibility for their students who all live off campus.

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Another studio that has recorded numerous hit records, OmniSound at 1806 Division St., (which was built in 1986) is up for sale at $4.25 million.  It is zoned to allow for a mixed-use building of up to 15 floors or a maximum of 20 stories if music-related uses are incorporated via the Metro Planning Department’s Music Row Vision Plan.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21091752/recording-studio-site-in-midtown-for-sale

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 7.59.22 AM.png

That really makes me sad.  Almost every demo of every song I’ve written was recorded in that building. :tw_dissapointed_relieved:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, NashWellington11 said:

Where did you see a master plan extending the campus to this property with open lawns, etc.? I used to work closely with Vandy's campus planning and open lawns were never part of the plan for this area. They have piecemeal landholdings all around the core campus but that doesn't mean that the "campus" (lawns, paths, etc.) is going to be extended there.

A combination of FutureVU, MoveVU, and discussions. I don't think anyone has decided for sure all of what will exist in that space (if so, I'm not aware of it), but I have seen plans with the greenway from main campus extending to the new grad housing. I don't think it is going to look like the traditional architecture from main campus, but I think you will see a reduction of cars across campus (including here), connection of spaces for people (i.e. paths and a walk and roll loop that extends to the grad housing), and connections to transit/potentially shuttles. Also, keep in mind that everything across 21st has been defined as the graduate housing village neighborhood - each part of campus is now marked as a neighborhood. This means that this land will be developed as part of campus. If this is a success and demand exceeds supply, a second phase may come in 5-10 years. This doesn't mean that all of that space will be exclusively related to grad housing, but it is going to be connected to main campus. The fencing  along 21st will be coming down, too. 

• Like 1