Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

On 1/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, markhollin said:

Somera Road has expanded the footprint of the plot they have in WeHo for future development by paying $10.5 million for 1.5 acres at 1312 Martin St. (the NE corner of Martin and Hamilton Ave.). Currently there is a small mobile home park on the site. InsBank provided a $7 million loan to help with the purchase. The whole tract is now 2.6 acres.

Jonathon Reeser, SomeraRoad’s director of acquisitions, said there are “no imminent plans to announce at this time.”

“We’re continuing to invest and expand our footprint in our home neighborhood of Wedgewood-Houston,” he added. “The acquisition, located in the heart of one of Nashville’s most exciting neighborhoods, is a great addition to our Nashville portfolio.”

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/01/04/someraroad.html

And behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/developer-pays-10-5m-for-wedgewood-houston-property/article_f67cab8c-6d8f-11ec-b262-2b5221362dd1.html

This screenshot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the expanded site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

174140227_ScreenShot2022-01-04at12_40_44PM.png

Colby was talking about this site this morning.

56FFA24C-63CF-4F31-8F07-3BABA5D171B0.png

Edited by DMilner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I am not hearing very good things about Colby from certain sources let's say.  He may be trying to champion some things like this, however if a developer buys a parcel, there is not much a council person can do to stop a development by rights. They can go ahead and build within the current zoning and remove the tenants without his say. I am not saying this is the best course of action for the developer, but they can do it. 

They may just wait till there is another Council Person in that district. I do not think they are done buying land anyway. From what I heard there may well be another Council Person in that district next time around.

Just saying!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

This is crap leadership on Colby's part. I agree that developers should have actionable plans for residents (ie CREA over at Skyline East), but by publicly coming out and just saying "kick rocks" he is showing is showing his true colors. What he should be doing is working with Somera Road in a meeting to come up with an actionable plan that works for both sides, because those do exist. By just coming out and basically putting a developer on blast, he does nothing but agitate the whole process and begin to fuel the angry mob.

Exactly, what I am saying. I am afraid that Colby has gone off the deep end and has pissed a lot of folks off.  To further what I have heard that his chances of being reelected are slim. Just what I am hearing. The sentiment in that part of town may be different, but he seems to rub a lot of folks the wrong way.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Exactly, what I am saying. I am afraid that Colby has gone off the deep end and has pissed a lot of folks off.  To further what I have heard that his chances of being reelected are slim. Just what I am hearing. The sentiment in that part of town may be different, but he seems to rub a lot of folks the wrong way.

Yeah,  you should check with D.17 residents.  If Sledge could run for re-election,  he would likely not have a serious competitor,  unless it was somebody propped up by special interests and the grossest lobbyists in town.  And Sledge would win going away.  

• Like 2

Sledge could win, but as someone currently (until redistricting) living in 17, I wouldn't vote for him. He tried to put in "residents only"parking on a stretch of Caruthers without telling anyone on adjacent streets or any of the closest businesses what he was up to. It ultimately was reduced to an unenforceable 2 hour parking limit. I don't trust him. 

@Melroseget the picture, you like this guy. That’s fine , but you shouldn’t let your emotions get in the way of what is fact. If Somera bought and owns the property, they have all the legal right to ask the tenants on their property to vacate. It doesn’t matter how long they have lived there. I know this because I’m a investor with others that buy and sell in Nashville, for what it’s worth we have had to ask tenants to vacate property several times. This is business, all these new projects we see daily are investments , the owners are entirely in their rights to develop a parcel to the zoning that’s in place

• Like 2

There is definitely a fine line that needs to be walked by all parties in this realm. Sure, a developer purchasing property and having well established residents vacate without any relocation is very shitty and they should have a plan in place for those residents (which is exactly what I said if my comment wasn't sliced into a tiny snippet). Renters in developing areas can be very vulnerable to when a land owner sells off. Yes, it is in their legal right to have people vacate, but one might hope for some moral guidance in helping these folks out with relocating (again, ie Skyline East by CREA). From the other side of the coin though, politicians just coming right out and saying "kick rocks", "pound sand", "no way jose" is just ridiculous and makes things a lot more contentious. Politician's entire job is tact and these types of comments show none of that. Referring to the article, nothing in the the snippet that CM Sledge shared is untrue. People are confidently investing knowing that the city as a whole is changing and will continue to change. It is on the developers and CMs to find the line in which both sides can be happy with it. Playing it out in the press is never good. or tactful.

Sure we haven't seen what is being planned, but I can almost guarantee that if the land is being bought that a yield study or some form of planning has occurred on the site in which the developer may approach a CM about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

@Melroseget the picture, you like this guy. That’s fine , but you shouldn’t let your emotions get in the way of what is fact. If Somera bought and owns the property, they have all the legal right to ask the tenants on their property to vacate. It doesn’t matter how long they have lived there. I know this because I’m a investor with others that buy and sell in Nashville, for what it’s worth we have had to ask tenants to vacate property several times. This is business, all these new projects we see daily are investments , the owners are entirely in their rights to develop a parcel to the zoning that’s in place

I don't think showing some basic decency to folks being displaced is a bad thing or that showing a bit of decency has anything to do with interfering with or altering legal rights.   Kind of sad that developers, you included apparently,  seem to look at it as a zero sum game,  but that's where we are.  Always gotta be about your investment only.... Just like he underlying article that spurred on Sledge's tweet; can't inconvenience anyone looking to make the fastest and biggest buck off of Nashville.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Melrose said:

I don't think showing some basic decency to folks being displaced is a bad thing or that showing a bit of decency has anything to do with interfering with or altering legal rights.   Kind of sad that developers, you included apparently,  seem to look at it as a zero sum game,  but that's where we are.  Always gotta be about your investment only.... Just like he underlying article that spurred on Sledge's tweet; can't inconvenience anyone looking to make the fastest and biggest buck off of Nashville.  

Please don’t pass judgement, I nor any of my parters, would not just “toss” anyone out. We have always worked with tenants, to ensure that they find good affordable housing and have even assisted to help them . Human decency is always at the forefront of any transaction. We buy, renovate, and sell or lease housing and small businesses throughout Middle Tennessee, we live here, and love all our neighbors. We have improved neighborhoods , not destroyed them. And I’m confident that a developer of Somera’s caliber , will address the issues and work to find the best solution for all involved.

• Like 3

Ridgehouse Capital is planning a 196 unit apartment complex on a 6 parcel site with a primary address of 1107 17th Ave. South. Currently all 6 plots are owned by Music Row Developments LLC.  Included on the land are 5 homes that have been converted to office space, most of which were built in the 1920s.  Ridgehouse is planning to complete the purchase by year's end.  No architect has been announced yet, and no renderings are available.

Based on the size of the lot, I'm projecting this will be around 5-6 stories, possibly higher if parking is not underground.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/apartment-building-eyed-for-music-row/article_84e13e5c-7e01-11ec-b84c-a7124fd36fbe.html

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

1282171197_110717thAve.SouthmJan252022sitemap.png

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

This is crap leadership on Colby's part. I agree that developers should have actionable plans for residents (ie CREA over at Skyline East), but by publicly coming out and just saying "kick rocks" he is showing is showing his true colors. What he should be doing is working with Somera Road in a meeting to come up with an actionable plan that works for both sides, because those do exist. By just coming out and basically putting a developer on blast, he does nothing but agitate the whole process and begin to fuel the angry mob.

I imagine he wants to be mayor or at large council first. This is how cooper got elected. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

1030 Music Row (5 stories, 130,000 sq. ft. office space, underground garage) update: Glass installation nearly complete.

Looking NE from intersection of 16th Ave. South and Tremont Ave:

1030 Music Row, Jan 22, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking SE from 16th Ave. South, 1/3 block north of Tremont Ave:

1030 Music Row, Jan 22, 2022, 2.jpeg

Maybe Tremont at 16th will finally be re-opened sometime in 2022.  Must be nice to be able to close streets for years on end by paying $1.44 or whatever the fee is to Metro.....

• Like 3