Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Mainland Companies has put the .46 acre lot at 914 3rd Ave. South (and bordering on Lafayette St. to the east) for sale at an unlisted price. It is being marketed as a prime spot for a self storage facility, and one of the sales images shows a block rendering of a 7 story structure with potential for 100,000 sq. ft. of space. 

Mainland also bought all of the land on the western side of 3rd Ave. South, and apparently has plans for a potential 10-15 story residential project there, also noted in the sales image. All of this is along the strip just south of the I-40 inner belt known as the New Heights District. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/chestnut-hill-property-marketed-for-self-storage-facility/article_a08434b2-8846-11ec-a8d9-6711a0f618d6.html

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.42.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.42.59 PM.png

So no more strip club?

I wish they would reconnect 3rd. Even if it was just back down to Lafayette and back across. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, markhollin said:

Mainland Companies has put the .46 acre lot at 914 3rd Ave. South (and bordering on Lafayette St. to the east) for sale at an unlisted price. It is being marketed as a prime spot for a self storage facility, and one of the sales images shows a block rendering of a 7 story structure with potential for 100,000 sq. ft. of space. 

Mainland also bought all of the land on the western side of 3rd Ave. South, and apparently has plans for a potential 10-15 story residential project there, also noted in the sales image. All of this is along the strip just south of the I-40 inner belt known as the New Heights District. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/chestnut-hill-property-marketed-for-self-storage-facility/article_a08434b2-8846-11ec-a8d9-6711a0f618d6.html

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.42.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.42.59 PM.png

Another self storage building? Granted I know Lafayette is essentially a highway with how wide it is, but that would make a third rather tall self storage building within a couple hundred yards of one another. UGH

13 hours ago, BNAfan said:

Looks like the project on 12th between Linden and Ashwood is requesting a change to SP.  There was a public notice of a hearing on 2/1/22.  I can’t tell if there was a result from the meeting based on my limited development tracker skills. 

It does look like they have moved the access to the parking garage from the alley to the Northern side.  The alley is now a wall with “vegetation”.  

Looks like they are proposing either a small roundabout or a traffic light at 12th and Ashwood.   I grabbed a few screen shots and included the link to the application. 

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2021SP-071-001_plan.pdf

15312C99-ECBA-4ED6-AF54-16B718487C7D.thumb.png.2159ddb62764aec22a5b7e67f73afe2f.png8EBD3A8A-6E61-4F7C-BDB3-9ABAB6DD93CF.thumb.png.1371a9fbe960ca89455deba0aa80467d.pngFB3383F6-4DA7-4816-BECE-A9B590EFB94D.thumb.png.63abd4f31f660f24474f5f3c0f6b0618.pnghttp://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2021SP-071-001_plan.pdf6142DA0F-E842-405C-A2F1-A2C9177C2F07.thumb.png.8b3e0e5721407299c659eb688746daf2.png

Thanks for the info! I like the screening of the parking along the alley from both a design standpoint and a nice gesture toward the neighbors. Due to the shape of the intersection, I much prefer the roundabout design at the intersection.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Another self storage building? Granted I know Lafayette is essentially a highway with how wide it is, but that would make a third rather tall self storage building within a couple hundred yards of one another. UGH

Irritating, but kind of necessary with the vast increase of low-storage housing in the core. 
I don’t really have a problem with the self storage buildings per se, I just wish they would add some street activation around them. Some restaurant and/or retail space would help to dull the “blank spot” effect of buildings solely build to store crap. 

• Like 4

I'd like to see street activation too, just something, even if it was just like small one or 2 room shops. Give smaller businesses the options to have some space downtown. 

It's intersting to me that they make enough money to be able to building in the core with prices as they are. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I'd like to see street activation too, just something, even if it was just like small one or 2 room shops. Give smaller businesses the options to have some space downtown. 

It's intersting to me that they make enough money to be able to building in the core with prices as they are. 

They charge pretty hefty monthly rates for those little storage spaces. (Probably more per year in fees than the total value of the items in many of the spaces!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nashwatcher said:

Just bc they market the property as a good spot for self storage does that actually make that the probable use

Whoever buys the land will decide right??

I would think so, it's always easier to sell an idea if you can give someone a visual from my experience. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 6:16 PM, BNAfan said:

Looks like the project on 12th between Linden and Ashwood is requesting a change to SP.  There was a public notice of a hearing on 2/1/22.  I can’t tell if there was a result from the meeting based on my limited development tracker skills. 

It does look like they have moved the access to the parking garage from the alley to the Northern side.  The alley is now a wall with “vegetation”.  

Looks like they are proposing either a small roundabout or a traffic light at 12th and Ashwood.   I grabbed a few screen shots and included the link to the application. 

I watched the council meeting where the second reading of this passed, without any "no' votes. There was discussion, but only 3 folks came out to speak against and they all admitted that this was likely the best design that was possible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Courtesy of ULI (Urban Land Institute) I was able to participate in a tour of the new 1030 Music Row Building. It is a beautiful building with some really nice detailing. Tuck Hinton led the tour and Turner Construction was on hand to share insight and info. Here are some insights that Turner shared with the group.

• The columns and beams are all Glue-Laminated Timber and came out of Austria. StructureCraft is the Engineer of Record for the building, but outsourced these elements. Even coming from Austria at the height of the pandemic these materials arrived from Europe ahead of schedule and prompted Turner to rent an additional lay down space until the site was ready for timber. 
  • Dowel-Laminated Timber (DLT) makes up the floor and roof decks and are made out of 2x8 dimensional lumber with a hardwood dowel run through them. The moisture from the 2x8s then seep into the dowel and expands them locking the panel together. There is no nails and no adhesive holding the panels together (they are screwed to the beams, but the panels themselves dont have any).
  • The passenger elevator shaft is Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT). This presented a little bit of a headache for codes and the elevator contractor as they had not seen timber in an elevator shaft (or were not used to it). Mass Timber is regularly used for shaft walls and meeting the fire and structural requirements. Alas, Turner applied a then, clear coat of intumescent paint to the inside of the timber to satisfy codes and elevator team.
  • From the first column going in to the final roof deck panel being installed all timber was installed in 4 months. This went a little slower than some other high profile Mass Timber projects, but the limiting factor is the fact they only had one crane on the job. There were 6 workers installing the timber (compared to an estimated 60 guys for concrete and 30 guys for steel structures). Another great perk of the technology is as soon as the deck is laid, it is structurally sound. Unlike concrete where the forms have to sit for a couple weeks and then be removed and concrete touched up, the timber has no forms and is finished when put in place.
  • Mass Timber shaved 3 to 4 months OFF the construction timeline

I'm not a professional but I would imagine that trading material costs for labor costs would make timber construction more attractive in the current economic environment.

• Like 3

With technology becoming available to produce steel and concrete in cleaner ways (IE Hydrogen), it really makes me sad that mass timber is becoming the new trend. I get it, it looks awesome, but the argument that these buildings, as a "carbon sink", are better than trees being left in the forests as is around the world, is nonsense to me. 

https://www.greenbiz.com/article/major-breakthrough-clean-steel-industry

https://news.mongabay.com/2015/09/how-many-trees-are-cut-down-every-year/

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/us-cities-are-losing-millions-of-trees/#:~:text=The researchers found that 36,concrete%2C asphalt%2C etc.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

thanks @Bos2NashI didn't take anything personally. I will try and find another article, but I think it's 25% of mass timber right now comes from actual forests and 75% from tree farms. Either way, my point was that as more and more buildings switch to mass timber, the required space for tree farms increases, and that 25% from forests could become 25% of a larger overall demand. 

I also agree with all your points on it being healthier within that building. 

Just seems on a global scale, we are deforesting our way into a bigger problem, but probably a coffee house discussion. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

thanks @Bos2NashI didn't take anything personally. I will try and find another article, but I think it's 25% of mass timber right now comes from actual forests and 75% from tree farms. Either way, my point was that as more and more buildings switch to mass timber, the required space for tree farms increases, and that 25% from forests could become 25% of a larger overall demand. 

I also agree with all your points on it being healthier within that building. 

Just seems on a global scale, we are deforesting our way into a bigger problem, but probably a coffee house discussion. 

There is actually a thread in Coffeehouse for the topic - Wooden Skyscraper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Brand Berry Hill (4 stories, 314 units) update: mostly topped out.

Looking NE from Berry Rd., just east of Fessey Park Rd:

Brand Berry Hill, Feb 12, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking east from Fessey Park Rd., just north of Berry Rd:

Brand Berry Hill, Feb 12, 2022, 2.jpeg

Looking NE from Fessey Park Rd., 1/2 block north of Berry Rd:

Brand Berry Hill, Feb 12, 2022, 3.jpeg

Looking NW from Metro School Employee Health Center, 1/2 block north of Berry Rd:

Brand Berry Hill, Feb 12, 2022, 4.jpeg

Looking  NW from Bransford House Apts., 1/4 block north of Berry Rd:

Brand Berry Hill, Feb 12, 2022, 5.jpeg

Looking west from Bransford House Apts., just north of Berry Rd:

Brand Berry Hill, Feb 12, 2022, 6.jpeg

• Like 1