Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

...and most all of those publishing houses/studios were sold by the publishing/studio owners for quite nice profits.   It's easy to blame the developers---but it's the owners of the properties that have made the move.   ; )

I'm actually not blaming anyone.  I understand a free market society.  I’m just lamenting the fact that something so precious as the unique historical “campus” of the music industry where everyone would walk from building to building…drop off music…go to pitch meetings…have parties…is going away.  It was a special time and place that will never be replicated.  I worked there starting in 1993…and it’s just sad to see it turn into something else.  I really think one day in the future, there may not be any music created there at all.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bnacincy said:

I see what you're saying and sympathize with you when it comes to what's happening and what has happened.

As Mark says it's the owners who are selling the properties and reaping the rewards-what I hope is that when they do sell it would be to build office space which would have at least a fighting chance of keeping some of the larger businesses on Music Row whereas residential developments just pretty much exclude everyone.

What larger businesses?  Seriously.   You’re not going to see any large music studios build on the Row.  Warner is still there…but they built their own building decades ago.  Rest of the labels MAY come back, but they left and signed leases elsewhere…but it doesn’t really matter if the songwriters and publishers are gone (those houses they tear down are where the small publishers and songwriters are / were).

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 1:46 PM, bnacincy said:

I see what you're saying and sympathize with you when it comes to what's happening and what has happened.

As Mark says it's the owners who are selling the properties and reaping the rewards-what I hope is that when they do sell it would be to build office space which would have at least a fighting chance of keeping some of the larger businesses on Music Row whereas residential developments just pretty much exclude everyone.

This is what I was getting at.  I just think the reality is Music Row is transitioning and alongside the new developments,  a good bit of which thankfully has some mixed use components ( though I wish a few more did for streetside activation purposes-  The Morris, 18th and Chet, in particular missed on this),  then I hope the former music business offices (many of which are in converted bungalows and homes),  can also transition to some restaurant/retail uses and other residential services,  and even in some cases transition back to residential, if possible.   You've got great sidewalks around here and the location is really important to tying several neighborhoods together

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Melrose said:

This is what I was getting at.  I just think the reality is Music Row is transitioning and alongside the new developments,  a good bit of which thankfully has some mixed use components ( though I wish a few more did for streetside activation purposes-  The Morris, 18th and Chet, in particular missed on this),  then I hope the former music business offices (many of which are in converted bungalows and homes),  can also transition to some restaurant/retail uses and other residential services,  and even in some cases transition back to residential, if possible.   You've got great sidewalks around here and the location is really important to tying several neighborhoods together

It's definitely transitioning.  It just will be maybe 10% music or less in the coming years.

The Music Row Overlay is also going to make it hard to do anything in the area. The overlay specifically calls for more than two parcels not to be combined, calls apartment construction "the invasion of multi-family" and then of course there are certain council members who blanket state they dont support density in the area. While I sympathize with the loss of the individual musician space, the land is honestly becoming too expensive/valuable for those types of spaces to remain. Modern technology has also developed to the point where we don't need these individual spaces anymore. I have multiple friends in multiple parts of the city that are building there own studios in there spaces because it is much easier to build that sort of thing. Modern transportation is also allowing for that type of gathering/songwriting to spread out more because everyone has access to a vehicle nowadays. 

I just went to the Musicians Hall of Fame for the first time this past weekend, and I honestly believe Music Row would be incredibly well suited for something like that. Unfortunately I don't think it would succeed because it is too far from the hustle and bustle (probably the same reason the Country HoF is now downtown). It has always been weird to me that Music Row is so historic, yet there is nothing really there for folks to know about it. Maybe that was always the point, maybe it wasn't, but no matter what I feel like when folks visit and want to see Music Row they are a bit disappointed with the lack of "stuff" that makes the area great.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The Music Row Overlay is also going to make it hard to do anything in the area. The overlay specifically calls for more than two parcels not to be combined, calls apartment construction "the invasion of multi-family" and then of course there are certain council members who blanket state they dont support density in the area. While I sympathize with the loss of the individual musician space, the land is honestly becoming too expensive/valuable for those types of spaces to remain. Modern technology has also developed to the point where we don't need these individual spaces anymore. I have multiple friends in multiple parts of the city that are building there own studios in there spaces because it is much easier to build that sort of thing. Modern transportation is also allowing for that type of gathering/songwriting to spread out more because everyone has access to a vehicle nowadays. 

I just went to the Musicians Hall of Fame for the first time this past weekend, and I honestly believe Music Row would be incredibly well suited for something like that. Unfortunately I don't think it would succeed because it is too far from the hustle and bustle (probably the same reason the Country HoF is now downtown). It has always been weird to me that Music Row is so historic, yet there is nothing really there for folks to know about it. Maybe that was always the point, maybe it wasn't, but no matter what I feel like when folks visit and want to see Music Row they are a bit disappointed with the lack of "stuff" that makes the area great.

Not to mention that it is now legal to run music studios in private homes throughout the city. Not to rehash the arguments I made in the East Nashville forum regarding the development of 5 Points, but if cities are meant to thrive, then they must be changing and adaptable so that they provide opportunities for people now, and not be frozen in amber to appease a sense of nostalgia or to protect or increase the value of assets of property owners. 

Could you link to the Music Row Overlay that you reference? How does language like "the invasion of multi-family" make it into official planning documents? Dumb question

• Like 4

“God bless the boys who make the noise on 16th Avenue” (written by Thom Schuyler, recorded by Lacy J. Dalton)

The character of the street may change, but the history will remain. As long as those songs are played on the radio, sung in concerts or honky tonks,  studied by those who hope to become songwriters, or analyzed by singers who wish to interpret the songs…as long as the efforts of “the boys” (and girls) of 16th Avenue are remembered, their ghosts will roam Nashville’s “Music Row.”

• Like 2

Urban Grout Commercial Real Estate has secured a $15.3 million loan from First Farmers & Merchants Bank in relation to its proposed 13 acre residential development at 1116 Polk Ave., a few block south of Murfreesboro Pike, east of the Fairgrounds.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/06/24/deal-dash.html

• Like 3

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Three 1 story structures on .42 acre at 1040-1044 3rd Ave. South in Chestnut Hill have been purchased  for $3.42 million, with the intent of transforming them into a live entertainment venue. Christopher Jordan Latiff is the new owner and his Hitedeos LLC will oversee the transition into  "a special event venue for music lovers surrounded by a variety of local food that will service and benefit the local emerging community.” It appears that Butcher Supply Store at 1040 3rd Ave. South will remain in business, with the other two addresses making up the club/restaurant.

The Perryman family were the previous owners, having paid a total of $28,000 in several transactions for the properties between 1981-85. 

More behind the NashvillePost paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/entertainment-venue-eyed-for-chestnut-hill/article_a2180444-f3d4-11ec-bc8b-332f6b9892fa.html

1040 3rd Ave South, June24, 2022, site.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Very exciting! Especially with the recent closing of some other venues!

• Like 4