Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

I wonder if/what they will do with that Coke railroad extension there. Even some kind of paving and sidewalks would be more desirable than the current miserable situation it is now. 

I bet residents won't like not being able to get to their home when the trains stops on the tracks and backs traffic up in all directions so that you can't even go around. 

Third & Mildred Shute (3 stories, 64 units, ground level retail) update: some new stairwells/elevator shafts are rising on this very-slow-moving project.

Looking SW from intersection of Mildred Shute Ave. and 3rd Ave. South:

3rd & Mildred Shute, June 26, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking north from 3rd Ave. South, 1/2 block north of Chestnut St:

3rd & Mildred Shute, June 26, 2022, 2.jpeg

The 7 story mixed-use project that was planned for the empty lot at 2401 21st Ave. South (6 blocks south of Hillsboro Village) has been scrapped.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mixed-use-building-project-eyed-for-21st-avenue-scrapped/article_863ece8c-f718-11ec-aea4-976b17c670f5.html

• Sad 4

UGH, take your butt out to the suburbs if you don't want tall buildings. 

It's right on 21st and it's a corner lot!? What the hell. 

How can a not at all large building on a main corridor get submarined like this? Can planning not step in? That is crazy.

The more and more I see stuff like this, the more I want to ban any new SFHs inside the inner loop but also the 440 loop. 

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, markhollin said:

T3 (6 stories, 200,000 sq. ft. office space, ground lever retail, internal garage) update: eastern wall and more pillars rising.

Looking north from parking lot behind 1260 Martin, i1/3 block north of Merritt Ave:

T3, June 26, 2022.jpeg

Can't wait to start seeing the timber panels and columns rise on this one

Rub Hands Together GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 11:35 PM, UrbanWes03 said:

A big fan of this one. Addresses the street well and it’s approachable with a nice human scale. The angles and little commercial space are really nice as well. If only we allowed this kind of mixed use zoning to be more wide spread. We could have little unique nodes of activity in every corner of any neighborhood. I visited Seattle last month and they did that very well and was one of the biggest reasons I enjoyed it so much. I know they are more forward thinking with zoning than here but one can dream right? I have been happy with the amount of nice infill Nashville has been getting though so hopefully we are moving in the right direction. 

If I'm being honest, there are details on this building that just bother me. Like this one. 

image.thumb.png.2e3135eb2c39e387597feb45f6d06bb6.png

I understand this is a stick frame building, so there are obvious structural limitations to the stacked box concept, but that just feels extremely clunky.

Addressing your comment about the mixed-use zoning policies. Nashville actually has them all over the place. Many of the main thoroughfares are even already zoned to do just this and developers just don't want to do it. Multi-family (Condos or Apartments), General Office, Restaurant/Retail are all permitted or permitted with conditions (which are fairly easy conditions) in all four of the Mixed-Use policies, most of the Office policies and most of the Commercial properties. I have stated it before, but building in Nashville is quite easy from a zoning policy standpoint, with some exceptions. The biggest issue right now is the inflation of land values. We talked briefly about this at the meet-up, but out of state developers are investing in Nashville because they are seeing a big return here. The problem is they view Nashville as an affordable city and a city in which they do not have to put alot of money into their project to make money. One example is the utter contempt to do below grade parking here even though some of the developers are coming from places like NYC where below grade parking is a given. Another example is the amount of stick frame that is used within the core. Yes stick frame is a solid economic use for construction, but there are serious drawbacks to it (and I'm not even referring to fire drawbacks).

Developers see that many of these smaller commercial slots sit empty for a long time and see them as a money losing situation. I'm sure they sit empty for a number of reasons like maybe the street isn't really built for storefront retail, but to me the big thing is rent costs. The land values are so high (and I am not complaining about them) that smaller retail cannot really afford to go in, and when they do they end up needing to charge high values to pay their rent. It is a catch-22 because people what these retail slots, but then complain about all the high-end or high cost retail/restaurants. 

• Like 3