Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Ugh. Why can't they incorporate the house into the design of the new project ? Imagine what Virgin could've done with that beautiful old house as an entryway to the hotel. :(

Well now you're just being unreasonable! That would require them to take a whole extra day to think and use their imaginations. It's so much more practical to just take a bulldozer to 200 years of history!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

What's going there?  If the answer is 'a parking lot,' then please, just make something up to tell me instead.  lol

I'm guessing it will be a food and beverage place. There are two commercial entrances, so that rules out a 'stick and stucco' apartment and the name (apparently incorrectly typed) on the application is Tom Loventhal who is listed as an owner of the Noshville Deli and the Blue Moon Restaurant. 

Noshville1_zpsd37c01b9.jpg

Two structures to come down?

Noshville2_zpsc41cb144.jpg

The permit site says it's a mixed-use development.  Maybe restaurant/retail and hotel or office?

"A request to rezone from MUI-A to SP-MU zoning for properties located at 1918 and 1922 Broadway, at the corner of Broadway and 20th Avenue South, (0.68 acres), to permit a mixed-use development, requested by Land Development.com, applicant; 1918 Broadway, LLC, and Land Development.com, owners."

There's a new zoning application for what looks like a major project at the NE corner of 21st and Wedgewood. The site plan mentions ground-level retail, 2nd floor residential units, and a parking garage.

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2015/021215/2005UD-009-001_plan.pdf

This is where the bank is currently.     The project appears to retain the surface parking lot at the NE corner of 21st and Wedgewood, which is unfortunate.  

That is unfortunate. It appears that's because a bank be part of the new project.  Just a guess; see the lanes that look like bank teller lanes for cars?  Still, if the opportunity is present to really 'fix' this corner, it should be done with buildings to the street at the corner.  Cars should not get priority at intersections like this.

This is where the bank is currently.     The project appears to retain the surface parking lot at the NE corner of 21st and Wedgewood, which is unfortunate.  

• Like 2

Still, if the opportunity is present to really 'fix' this corner, it should be done with buildings to the street at the corner.  Cars should not get priority at intersections like this.

No question.    Here's hoping the Planning Commission will push the developers toward a different orientation of the project. 

I was walking by this corner Saturday and thought to myself there is a real chance to do something cool in this space. Agreed with above that building needs to meet the street on Wedgewood, if the bank needs teller lanes have them be in the back corner, seems like it would be easy to do if you building from scratch.

The answer may have to do with the historical Metro easement for the old Blakemore Ave. that for some reason still exists (and is prominently labeled on the development plans).     The property owner could petition the city to abandon the easement and either they have already tried this or are not willing to undertake the effort with the Council.  

I seem to remember many years ago there was a development proposal that threatened the 5 or so adjacent foursquares that face Wedgewood but are set back to what I'm guessing was the former Blakemore Ave (or University Place - now used for parking) in front of the houses.     If I'm not mistaken, there was a public outcry over the possible demolition of the homes that resulted in a conservation overlay.    The easement on the bank property may have been part of that, but some of you historians on the board may know if that's the case.    Some of the notes on the parking lot area reference the University Place plan.  

Still, what a missed opportunity to not be able to site a new development on that corner.     

Edited by CenterHill

The answer may have to do with the historical Metro easement for the old Blakemore Ave. that for some reason still exists (and is prominently labeled on the development plans).     The property owner could petition the city to abandon the easement and either they have already tried this or are not willing to undertake the effort with the Council.  

I seem to remember many years ago there was a development proposal that threatened the 5 or so adjacent foursquares that face Wedgewood but are set back to what I'm guessing was the former Blakemore Ave (or University Place - now used for parking) in front of the houses.     If I'm not mistaken, there was a public outcry over the possible demolition of the homes that resulted in a conservation overlay.    The easement on the bank property may have been part of that, but some of you historians on the board may know if that's the case.    Some of the notes on the parking lot area reference the University Place plan.  

Still, what a missed opportunity to not be able to site a new development on that corner.     

Your memory seems to be correct that there was development pressure on those houses on the Old Blakemore Ave that must have existed before Urban Renewal created the modern Wedgewood.  Here is the link to the Blakemore Planned Unit Development Conservation Zoning Overlay design guidelines document that captures some of that history (starting on about page 6) http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/Design%20Guidelines/Blakemore%202014.pdf  Apparently, there is a PUD (Planned Unit Development) that was proposed and the CZO was put in place to protect the historic houses in exchange for changing the land use from residential to commercial use. 

It does seem reasonable that something much nicer could be built to replace the bank branch on the corner.  It may be the case that an amendment to the PUD would be required, which is possible.

Yay. More land speculators and developers buying up and tearing down historic Nashville. Yay. Look how cosmopolitan we are.  Yay. Look how we get to look just like Atlanta. Hooray.

I'm with you on the preserving historic Nashville bit, but I must say that I don't really understand the popular refrain from Nashville preservationists that Nashville is becoming "like Atlanta" every time a large urban development is announced.  Yeah, I guess urban development is an Atlanta thing, but it's also just a 'city thing.'  This development is an example of Nashville trying to become more like Atlanta like my deciding to wear pants today is an example of me trying to become more like Tom Cruise.  Obviously it's true that there are characteristics of Atlanta that I'd prefer we don't imitate, but growing into a larger more dynamic urban city is not one of those. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

The comparison to Atlanta in this case pertains to the track record in Atlanta for demolishing historic buildings in a concerted effort to be "modern."  As if historic preservation and growth are mutually exclusive. 

I think that you will find that Cliff and I have both cheered large urban developments in Midtown and in other locations that contribute to the population density, the tax base, and the built fabric on a site that was a good candidate for a significant upgrade. 

Cities can and should grow.  But growth can occur without sacrificing what almost everyone agrees are historically and/or architecturally significant structures that contribute to Nashville's identity.  There are any number of lots on Midtown on which a new high rise apartment/hotel/mixed-use building can be constructed without anyone missing what was there before.  Then there are some specific properties in Midtown where sensitive growth is in order.  I would argue that this is one of them. 

I've been to that particular Noshv'l a few times since the early 2000s, as well as to another one about 5 or six miles southwest of that spot.  The Broadway structure has been so radically modified that it, as well as a number of other relatively nearby structures ─ some one- some two-, and some even higher ─ many of which have been allowed to fall into some state of apparent exterior deterioration, no longer convey the historic appeal and character that once had been an "aggregated" theme in that district, some 45 or more years ago.

I'm speaking of structures built mostly during the first quarter of last century, along upper B'dway and including the wedge between 16th and 21st (including Lyle Ave.).  Most of this has evolved into nothing more than a distracting (and tacky) hodgepodge of separately repurposed properties, which, with a very few notable exceptions including:

1812 B'dwy - the law firm groups Rudy Wood & Winstead; Bednarz & Bednarz; Joe Dughman & Assoc

2007 Terrace Pl  - once was the site of one of my former pediatricians (too long ago, as you know)

but I'm not "attached" to it, per se, if it would give way to sensible redevelopment.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

The comparison to Atlanta in this case pertains to the track record in Atlanta for demolishing historic buildings in a concerted effort to be "modern."  As if historic preservation and growth are mutually exclusive. 

I think that you will find that Cliff and I have both cheered large urban developments in Midtown and in other locations that contribute to the population density, the tax base, and the built fabric on a site that was a good candidate for a significant upgrade. 

Cities can and should grow.  But growth can occur without sacrificing what almost everyone agrees are historically and/or architecturally significant structures that contribute to Nashville's identity.  There are any number of lots on Midtown on which a new high rise apartment/hotel/mixed-use building can be constructed without anyone missing what was there before.  Then there are some specific properties in Midtown where sensitive growth is in order.  I would argue that this is one of them. 

I realize I am destined to disagree with everything you post on this site but the point is this: There are many sites that would be better suited for this development. Maybe they were too expensive. Maybe they weren't for sale. Land and location and not homogenous.

Worth noting is that Manuel sold this building to an entity called "Land Development". He should have known they were not planning on keeping it. Evidently he didn't really think it was worth saving.

Edited by samsonh

As far as historic buildings, this one wouldn't be at the top of my list to save.  I've been in it a couple of times and it would take probably $Millions to fix up.  However, the point remains that it would be nice if developers would build in some of these empty lots around town instead of tearing down 100+ year old Nashville structures.

• Like 2

Here is more info from thePost about project at Wedgewood and 21st. Behind pay wall, but GBT is the developer. Will come from behind paywall soon.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/1/6/mixed_use_project_targeted_for_hillsboro_village

Back to this, William's article and quotes from the developer sound like it's almost certain there will be changes to the site plan. They say they are just beginning discussions with Metro agencies, zoning and neighbors. I remain hopeful they will end up with the variances they need to build out to the corner.

• Like 2