Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

This is hard to complain about in my opinion. Maybe a little bit too similar to other projects in the city, but decent infill nonetheless.

I understand the loss of the historic structures, etc. but go back to my previous comments about structures around Midtown in that we should have begun the dialog of saving them decades ago. Losing them now is basically a foregone conclusion. 

• Like 3

I still cannot believe that there's now a canyon effect going on there. I wouldn't have ever thought that we would see that part of town pop upwards like that.

Looks to be about 25 stories or so.

I still cannot believe that there's now a canyon effect going on there. I wouldn't have ever thought that we would see that part of town pop upwards like that.

Yeah...I would have bet my money on West End getting these type structures long before this portion of Broadway.

Yes... I made the observation a few months back that West End (at least between the Gulch and 21st) is really quite crummy looking.  And that "would be" Nashville's so-called grand boulevard. When you look at what's been done all the way out to 31st Avenue in the name of development from the 1950s to the present, the buildings that have been demolished and replaced with suburban and (worse!) one-story warehouse-style shopping strips is nothing but a shame!  Just to name a few... Masonic Lodge... Jacksonian... Governor's residence... many other beautiful 19th/20th century mansions... several urban style buildings from the early 20th century, notably those replaced by Beaman's slick suburban showroom. With notable exceptions (Vandy.... Cathedral... Methodist church... and a few large office buildings) it's not much better than any commercial strip in any midsize city in the south. 

• Like 1

PHofKS made this a while ago. It doesn't include this new 25 story building which would be right in front of the reddish/brown and light blue buildings on the upper left, but it's still pretty amazing to think this is what mid town could look like in a couple years. If AP ever got WES going it would be even better. I'm sure there's plenty more development of this scale to come too. Land is just way cheaper in mid town than in SoBro or the CBD. 

NewMidtownV2_zps0211b8d6.jpg

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 2

Here is more info from thePost about project at Wedgewood and 21st. Behind pay wall, but GBT is the developer. Will come from behind paywall soon.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/1/6/mixed_use_project_targeted_for_hillsboro_village

I think this quote is refreshing: "“We’re literally at the very beginning of the process with Councilperson [sandra] Moore (in whose District 17 the site sits), the neighbors, the Metro Planning Department and the design committee for this area," he said. "There’s a significant amount of further conversations that need to occur before anything moves forward. We’re looking forward to working with them all.”

Developers seem to forget the neighborhood, council people, and surrounding community many times and are left with huge costs from design changes that were really unnecessary. These developers at least seem to get that they are stakeholders. Understand what the community, council person, and planning will support and then design around that.

• Like 1

A couple things to consider.  First, several blocks of this stretch currently have on-street parking.  If this parking were eliminated, new lanes would allow for increased traffic flow.  That isn't really a long-term solution, however, and there is no room to widen this road to five lanes. Second, think about the mindset of local planners and transit supporters. If we have all this huge, concentrated development and the roads are maxed out, it's a very good argument for a forward-thinking mode or method of mass transit.

One question I have is whether or not Broadway from the WE split until it becomes 21st Ave is wide enough to sustain this growth?  As of now, isn't it a 4 lane with no center turn lane?  I'm thinking it needs to at least be 5 lanes (the 5th lane being a center turn lane).

• Like 2

A couple things to consider.  First, several blocks of this stretch currently have on-street parking.  If this parking were eliminated, new lanes would allow for increased traffic flow.  That isn't really a long-term solution, however, and there is no room to widen this road to five lanes. Second, think about the mindset of local planners and transit supporters. If we have all this huge, concentrated development and the roads are maxed out, it's a very good argument for a forward-thinking mode or method of mass transit.

One question I have is whether or not Broadway from the WE split until it becomes 21st Ave is wide enough to sustain this growth?  As of now, isn't it a 4 lane with no center turn lane?  I'm thinking it needs to at least be 5 lanes (the 5th lane being a center turn lane).

I seem to recall a proposal to put in a transit corridor through here a little while back...  :dontknow:

• Like 4

Would it actually be better to take it down to 3 lanes (with the middle lane being a turn lane) instead of 4 lanes and no turn lanes? (just to keep the traffic flowing?)

Could very well be. They did that to Cumberland Ave. along the Strip in Knoxville. Not sure what effect it had on travel times, though.

Welch College selling four acre campus to Forestar Group of Austin, the company behind such projects as Music City Flats and Acklen West End. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/1/7/welch_college_to_sell_campus_to_texas_developer

The sale includes the entire campus except for the, in my opinion extremely beautiful, Welch College Library that sits on the corner of Craighead and Richland.  It also doesn't include the building next to the library or the synagogue at the end of the block, because they aren't part of the college itself.  The library will be preserved, which is excellent news.  The fate of the rest of the campus however, sounds like it is up in the air.  Based on the following campus map, it appears that the majority of the structures are unmemorable sixties era brown brick slabs. 

WelchCollegeCampusMap12.26.12-1.jpg

What concerns me are the four other structures that sit on West End Ave.  Does anyone know the history of these structures?  They all look fairly old and quite stately, but I'm just looking at them on google street view so they could be fairly recent structures and I'm just not able to see much detail.  Does anyone have any insight there?  For those interested, the college itself will relocate to a site in Sumner County.

Edited by BnaBreaker

I really hope we don't lose these buildings. That area of West End Ave really benefits from these types of structures.  We don't need *all* of the city to be full of multi-storey new construction developments. Having areas like this really help lend the neighborhood a good character.

Why is the college moving out to a new campus in suburbia, anyway? It seems like a poor choice for a small college to give up a campus like that, unless they're wanting to turn themselves into something completely different.

• Like 1